Options

Google Earth - Is Compton that bad ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking at various states and areas on Google Earth, and being a old NWA fan I remembered the name of the album, Straight Outta Compton, so thought I would check the place out on Google Earth.

EVERY house has bars on the ground floor windows, I have never seen that before. I don't know if it is just because it is daytime but the streets look kinda empty and normal. So how does the whole bar thing happen ? Does the mayor make them compulsory ? Or the window fitters ? Reminds me of Back to the Future 2 when he goes back in time to a different time line and his house now had bars on the windows.

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine people install them for their own safety.

I had a wander round Compton on google earth and some other places on the planet too, and its all a bit "oh." if I'm honest!
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should have a look at some parts of Johannesburg. Not only are there bars on the windows, but most houses are surrounded by high walls with barbed wire on top, or really high fences with spikes on top.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I see what you mean. The houses actually seem rather nice and quaint. All the bars seem rather unnecessary.

That said, when you look around LA generally, it seems like such a drab, soulless place.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm straight outta Worcester. You are now about to witness the strength of pure manure.
    Crazy combine harvester with attitude
    scarecrow days off, I get a sawn off
    pull the trigger, magpies get blown off
    yo yo ooh aar my brutha
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Hmm, I see what you mean. The houses actually seem rather nice and quaint. All the bars seem rather unnecessary.

That said, when you look around LA generally, it seems like such a drab, soulless place.

Good thing in reality its not then...:)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You see bars on the windows in other parts of LA too that don't have such an infamous reputation. Areas like Los Feliz and Echo Park I noticed have this.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something fascinating about rough places like this, the same with Detroit. Just me? :blush:
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    There is something fascinating about rough places like this, the same with Detroit. Just me? :blush:

Detroit is great on streetview if you find the right area. Street after abandoned street.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    BadLadAsh wrote: »

You should go over there and have a look 'round.

Make sure your health insurance is up to date.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    You should go over there and have a look 'round.

Make sure your health insurance is up to date.

Lol :D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised you found it unusual. I've seen them in some countries. Hong Kong, Japan, Spain, etc. Also here.

In the southern part of Sakae, every house has window bars. Same with commercial buildings. Here's a simple explanation: a persistent and charismatic salesman. :D

There was quite a few newspaper reports about him. His claim was an instant sensation: "I can sell anybody anything. A bamboo stick to an octopus? Easy." It became a common expression. Examples: "Who do you think I am? An octopus?" or "Put your bamboo stick away." As in, I don't buy your flimsy excuse / flawed proposal / dodgy idea.

But yeah, I didn't think a row of houses with window bars was that unusual.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't realise how lucky we are to be able to walk outside at night w/o the fear of getting shot at.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Detroit is great on streetview if you find the right area. Street after abandoned street.

You should see some parts of New Orleans - you can tell where there used to be houses until Katrina hit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Isn't Compton where Serena and Venus Williams were brought up. It is supposed to be a rough place but the Williams father was a very high ranked army officer, so why did he live there. Unless if you are black in the USA you have to live in a black area. Just seems very strange
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Compton-California.html

Scroll down to the crime stats and decide for yourself.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come to Spain - most houses have bars on windows and doors
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    I was looking at various states and areas on Google Earth, and being a old NWA fan I remembered the name of the album, Straight Outta Compton, so thought I would check the place out on Google Earth.

EVERY house has bars on the ground floor windows, I have never seen that before. I don't know if it is just because it is daytime but the streets look kinda empty and normal. So how does the whole bar thing happen ? Does the mayor make them compulsory ? Or the window fitters ? Reminds me of Back to the Future 2 when he goes back in time to a different time line and his house now had bars on the windows.

Bars on the windows is pretty common in the US, in all kinds of areas. Not to mention those "gated communities" where everyone wanting to enter has to give their details to a security guard.
  • Options
    BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One other weird thing I notice about Compton on Streetview is that many of the photos jump between 2007 and 2014, I have no idea why some photos are so old, if they were already in the area.

Someone mentioned above Spain also has bars on the windows, is that a rough country ?
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bars on the windows is pretty common in the US, in all kinds of areas. Not to mention those "gated communities" where everyone wanting to enter has to give their details to a security guard.

Eh... It's not uncommon in urban areas but barred windows are far from ubiquitous. If I see barred windows I take them as a caution sign to be even more aware of my surroundings than I normally am.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through Compton on the Subway from LAX to Hollywood. It looked very rough and I was practically $hitting myself while we rode through it.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if a neighborhood has enough burglary that some people start putting bars on windows, then the burglars just start targeting the houses that don't have bars even more, thus accelerating the process until everyone needs them. In a neighborhood like that you wouldn't want to be the last guy on your block left without them.
    david1955 wrote: »
    Isn't Compton where Serena and Venus Williams were brought up. It is supposed to be a rough place but the Williams father was a very high ranked army officer, so why did he live there. Unless if you are black in the USA you have to live in a black area. Just seems very strange

I can't find any evidence of him being a high ranked army officer, so do you have a site for what rank he was? Are you mixing it up with someone else who has the same (very common) name? He grew up very poor, LA real estate is very expensive, and the military doesn't pay phenomenally well in the enlisted ranks, though if what you say is true and he was high enough rank, he could have afforded a better neighborhood.

Compton wasn't always such a bad neighborhood. It hit the nadir around the '80's and '90's and has gotten a bit better since.
    Bars on the windows is pretty common in the US, in all kinds of areas.

Not that common, really. I've certainly seem them, but always either in very bad neighborhoods or very dense urban centers where lots of people may be milling around (or both).
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out with a girl from LA a few years ago and when we were over there I wanted her to take me to Compton so I could chill out out with Snoop, Dre and the rest of the boys.

She said a limey like me would get a cap in my ass and refused. In hindsight, probably wise.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,160
    Forum Member
    Diabolus wrote: »
    I went out with a girl from LA a few years ago and when we were over there I wanted her to take me to Compton so I could chill out out with Snoop, Dre and the rest of the boys.

She said a limey like me would get a cap in my ass and refused. In hindsight, probably wise.

Cool storey, bro:D
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cool storey, bro:D

Thanks dude. Another one same time tomorrow. :D

Stay tuned folks.

To answer the thread question and spell it out for those less inclined to read between the lines, I have heard that yes Compton is indeed that bad.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diabolus wrote: »

I'm straight outta Worcester. You are now about to witness the strength of pure manure.
    Crazy combine harvester with attitude
    scarecrow days off, I get a sawn off
    pull the trigger, magpies get blown off
    yo yo ooh aar my brutha

LOL @ both these posts. :D Must admit I can't wait for when the NWA film Straight Outta Compton is released next year.