✭✭
    colin25 wrote: »
    I think being fat (thick) has nothing to do with it, happens to skinny too
    What a stupid reply. :confused:
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not impossible, it's just crap design.

A single tuner can handle two channels from the same transponder, as a result if both recordings are from the same transponder then you have a spare tuner that can view any third channel. If two recordings are from different transponders any third channel sharing a transponder with either recording can be viewed.

Humax UK Freesat+ twin tuner boxes can all utilise the above. The new G2 Freetime boxes can also live pause the 3rd channel.

They can also record two and watch a third using only a single cable (with some restrictions. less than you think incidentally). The 2008 Foxsat-HDR can do all of the above except live pause the third viewed channel.

The German icord twin tuner boxes can record up to 4 subject to the above restrictions.

The newer ones with more tuners can do much more.

Basically all that is needed is to utilise the inherent ability to demux two channels from the same transponder and build enough intelligence into the software when you try and set impossible record/watch reservations.

Ok if its not impossible can you explain to us all how you get a sky+HD box to record 2 and watch a 3rd please.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Ok if its not impossible can you explain to us all how you get a sky+HD box to record 2 and watch a 3rd please.

It's impossible, by design (and quite rightly so), with Sky+HD - Freesat boxes can get away with it as they only have small number of channels, mostly on similar transponders, and thus a MUCH smaller chance of clashes occurring.

Freesat also don't offer any customer support, so don't have thousands of customers ringing complaining when it does happen :D

Presumably graham would be happy with a box that works 'most of the time'?, and doesn't care that on plenty of occasions it won't - but the average customer isn't.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »

I think the Sky+HD box can record 2 programmes as you watch a previously recorded programme at the same time.

Is that what they suggested they were doing?
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you look at some of the posts on this thred, you will see for your self, people are saying SKYQ if far from perfect. I know this much if i had laid out the amount of cash that some people have to get SKYQ i would be furious if it was not perfect. As for 4 recording who cares how much tv can you watch at one time? voice search please its a gimmick. and as for the touch remote lots of subscribers hate it. as i said to the o/p SKY+HD is great very user friendly great remote. and no messing around looking for features that are not on it. For the cash it cost for skyq sky should have kept some of the main standard functions of the SKY+ remote. and maybe skyq subscribers would be a lot more happy.

RECORDING 4 not watching 4 Live ! LOL :D Its not that much more than Sky+ and if you had multiroom, it works out cheaper, I also like the fact that I can carry the mini to any other TV in the House and plug it in an away we go :) I agree some of the features that were on Sky+ are 'missing' I do miss part of Sky+ BUT it does seem to coin a phrase 'of its day' and past its sell by date.
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Q is just a very expensive version of NowTV!
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how on earth do you come to that conclusion ?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member

How? - SkyQ is a satellite broadcast service - NowTV is IPTV..
  • Options
    PeppermintHippoPeppermintHippo Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    rhodgreen wrote: »
    My mother in law's Sky Q box is causing her regular problems.
    Nothing to do with end experience with the EPG etc, but the silver box itself is frequently crashing, up to 4-5 times a week.
    I've not seen what actually happens myself, but she's not thick.
    Was going to get Sky Q myself this summer once my 12 months BT Sport runs out, she's advised me to hold off for now.

Is this just a financial thing? I have BT Sport and am about to have SkyQ so was wondering if there's no need for both?
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Is this just a financial thing? I have BT Sport and am about to have SkyQ so was wondering if there's no need for both?

Her decision to have Sky Q was partly based on financial saving as she had 2 multiroom boxes and partly as she always wants to the latest tech (I think purely to annoy me!).
    My decision is based on having a Q mini box in the kitchen that will replace the Youview+ box, we currently have 1 multiroom in the bedroom so will be no real monthly change other than the initial outlay, which I'm obviously hoping to have a discount on! My other reason for holding a few weeks is just to see how BT will offer their sport channel this year in case we have to add a pound of flesh etc in to pot this year!
  • Options
    jpljpl Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    I was a VM subscriber for 16 years, a short house move to a rented house while we were moving home meant I had to go to Sky. I was ready to go back to Virgin because of the extra tuner in the TiVo box, it is that important.

However when Q was launched I jumped at it and I can honestly say that it is brilliant. slick, fast and works perfectly. The menu is great, the ability to watch recordings elsewhere is fab and all in all a great experience for how my family watches TV

The broadband I still have with vigin as when we moved to our new home from the rented house, Virgin had laid their cables but BT hadn't finished so SDky let us out our contract for that So while expensive I have the best of both worlds, though now Sky fibre is available I may consider it
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Update on mother in laws box, in case this helps anyone, turned off eco setting (manual standby only) a week ago, box hasn't crashed since.
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rscott wrote: »

The touch remote does take a little while to get used to, but you also get a conventional remote as well .
    The fact that Sky give you the old style remote just demonstrates how little confidence they have in their new product. It's laughable really! "Here is your band new Ford Focus Sir" "You can keep the old one though just incase you hate it" :D
  • Options
    Andy ParishAndy Parish Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had Sky Q since the beginning of June (Silver + 2 mini) @£56 a month for the full package (the friends and family new customer offer was the only reason I cancelled my +HD account and started again in a different name) but I must say that I'm really disappointed.

The potential is there, and I'm sure it will be the future of Sky's premium services but - my god, they launched it before refining it!

Home button - Straight to Top picks? Piss off, Where is the TV guide?
    Sky button - oh, it takes you to your recordings, makes sense. NOT
    The touch remote - Pants! see my previous post (Sky have little confidence in it)
    The other remote they give you - Still not as good as the old remote design they have used for the past 12 years.
    TV guide - please wait late at night, EPG doesn't update with late programme changes
    Channel up/down - channel down/up depending how you search
    Unable to rewind when you've just switched to a programme that you are recording
    Boxes crash, a lot !!
    Mini boxes crash, no signal!
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had Sky Q since the beginning of June (Silver + 2 mini) @£56 a month for the full package (the friends and family new customer offer was the only reason I cancelled my +HD account and started again in a different name) but I must say that I'm really disappointed.

The potential is there, and I'm sure it will be the future of Sky's premium services but - my god, they launched it before refining it!

Home button - Straight to Top picks? Piss off, Where is the TV guide?
    Sky button - oh, it takes you to your recordings, makes sense. NOT
    The touch remote - Pants! see my previous post (Sky have little confidence in it)
    The other remote they give you - Still not as good as the old remote design they have used for the past 12 years.
    TV guide - please wait late at night, EPG doesn't update with late programme changes
    Channel up/down - channel down/up depending how you search
    Unable to rewind when you've just switched to a programme that you are recording
    Boxes crash, a lot !!
    Mini boxes crash, no signal!

Typical customer hanging on to the old Sky system. This has been designed from the ground up its not Sky HD.
    2 remotes are purposeful. The touch remote is great when you get used to its function. And it's nothing to do with confidence in it, the touch remote was deemed to be a hindrance to people with disabilities in their hands. Lots of to manufacturers do 2 remotes now for that exact same reason.
    Home button takes you to the main menu. There is now TV Guide button. Simple swipe up and it's at the top if you're struggl No to find it:D