Options

I'm a bit confused with the connection from Sky Q Mini to Q Silver..?

SpaceCowboy2050SpaceCowboy2050 Posts: 161
Forum Member
Hi
I'm having Sky Q installed tomorrow with a Sky Q Silver in the lounge and a mini box in the bedroom. I don't have Sky Broadband (I'm with Plusnet) so I won't get the hotspot feature.
The engineer just called to give me the times for his visit tomorrow and I asked him about the connections. He said that the mini will connect directly to my Silver box, not via my existing router. Is this correct? I'm a bit concerned as my mini will be in an upstairs bedroom on the opposite side of the house. Imagine an L shape, with my Silver in the bottom right, my existing router bottom left and my new mini top left. I'm sure I would get a strong connection if it was going via my router, but not so sure about direct box to box.
I do have Powerline plugs - can they be used? I know I can get a good connection using those. I think I'm right in thinking that I don't get a Sky Hub without Sky Broadband?
Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mini can connect via wifi, ethernet or powerline, but I suspect the installer will try to connect via wifi as a default. If the wifi signal isn't strong enough then you can either connect via ethernet (if you have dedicated wiring), or via your own powerline adapters if you have them (which as far as the sky boxes are concerned will essentially just be an ethernet connection). The built in powerline feature may also be an option, however I believe that is still an unsupported feature as they are still working on ironing out some issues with it, so you can only activate it via the hidden installer menu - plus I'm not sure if it was determined in the end whether or not that was a "Sky broadband only" feature like the wifi hotspots. You are correct that you won't get a Sky Q Hub - just the Q Silver and the Mini.

I'm due to get mine installed tomorrow too (and I'm with Virgin Media for broadband) so I'm in a similar situation. I have dedicated ethernet wiring between where the Sky Q Silver and Mini boxes will be located so I will be trying to get the installer to connect via that rather than wifi if I can, as it should offer a more stable connection, albeit probably slightly slower (as the ethernet is only 100Mbit compared to the 802.11ac wifi).
  • Options
    BOOTHY2905BOOTHY2905 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the engineer has confused you. Or himself. All sky q equipment connects to each other if in range to make multiple avenues of travel. If your hub is closer it will likely daisy chain a connection to the silver in order to get its content. Then once setup the engineer can test the values of the network to see if it will work ok or maybe need boosters running along side. This should all be done during installation.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    This is probably why Sky are not activating the built in PLT feature.

They haven't enabled it yet because there are still a few wrinkles to iron plus there are more pressing issues with the firmware on the Q boxes. The built in PLT feature is an integral part of the Airties tech that runs the mesh between the boxes and hub so it will appear eventually.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member
    You should not use powerline adapters, they are bad technology and will cause interference to your neighbours.

Give it a rest Winston, no one believes the rubbish you post as it's wildly exaggerated and almost totally untrue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You did not ring an engineer. Sky don't use engineers for installations, they use installers.

You should not use powerline adapters, they are bad technology and will cause interference to your neighbours.

http://www.ban-plt.org.uk
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

This is probably why Sky are not activating the built in PLT feature.

Sky will connect via wi fi and if you can't get a decent connection I believe they supply a booster.

If not put in ethernet cables. They as thin and unobtrusive.

Shut up, Just shut up.

doesn't powerline cause interference with HAM radio or something like that?
    I've not heard anyone still uses that tech anymore. unlucky if they do.
  • Options
    rhodgreenrhodgreen Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    House opposite us has HAM radio.
    Some theorise that's why wifi in my house acts like all the walls are lead lined!
    So if my extensive use of power line adaptors (of which the 1200 versions are great), then I say karma!
    Will the Sky installers do ethernet cabling? Didn't realise this was an option.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give it a rest Winston, no one believes the rubbish you post as it's wildly exaggerated and almost totally untrue.

Rubbish - possible interference from PLT is a fact. I have personally experienced it. Two years ago I purchased a set from Amazon (cheap and cheerful). plugged them in and immediately lost reception on all portable FM and DAB radios anywhere in the house. Reception from external DAB aerial was subject to frequent dropouts and FM from external aerial was also affected. On further investigation strong interference was also present on AM radios (NOT HAM) across the SW bands, I returned these as unfit for purpose and decided to give it one more try with high end expensive set - although these were not as bad they still caused interference.- I returned these and gave up on PLT. whilst I had the first set I did ask my neighbour to try portable DAB and he found loss of reception in rooms nearest my house (approx 15ft away)

Whether the problem exists with all PLT devices I do not know but I have proven to myself and neighbour at least that problems can be caused by them and NOT just to HAM radio enthusiats. So all you quit whinging - the warnings need to be posted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if absolutely necessary. Another visit would be required though.
    I was very sceptical about the reliability of the whole system using wifi but was amazingly surprised with how well it works for a new released system.

I had all 4 recordings going, 5th viewing on SSNEWS HD, mini guide on, both iPads and both mini boxes simultaneously and it ran perfectly for about 2 hours before the wasting electric conscience kicked in and I switched it all in off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rubbish - possible interference from PLT is a fact. I have personally experienced it. Two years ago I purchased a set from Amazon (cheap and cheerful). plugged them in and immediately lost reception on all portable FM and DAB radios anywhere in the house. Reception from external DAB aerial was subject to frequent dropouts and FM from external aerial was also affected. On further investigation strong interference was also present on AM radios (NOT HAM) across the SW bands, I returned these as unfit for purpose and decided to give it one more try with high end expensive set - although these were not as bad they still caused interference.- I returned these and gave up on PLT. whilst I had the first set I did ask my neighbour to try portable DAB and he found loss of reception in rooms nearest my house (approx 15ft away)

Whether the problem exists with all PLT devices I do not know but I have proven to myself and neighbour at least that problems can be caused by them and NOT just to HAM radio enthusiats. So all you quit whinging - the warnings need to be posted.

How did you test it was interference? I'm presuming you just assumed as signal went to a level that the DAB or FM unit couldn't interpret as a usable signal?

I've been in thousands of homes and a great proportion and of them use PLT without issue. It's that rare it's not even worth talking about never mind "whinging" as you put it.
    Also just to add if you are using inferior inputs for your DAB AND FM tuners, any slight signal similarities local will overpower your source of signal and this would appear to be strong interference when in fact it's because your input signal is too low to start with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    How did you test it was interference? I'm presuming you just assumed as signal went to a level that the DAB or FM unit couldn't interpret as a usable signal?

I've been in thousands of homes and a great proportion and of them use PLT without issue. It's that rare it's not even worth talking about never mind "whinging" as you put it.
    Also just to add if you are using inferior inputs for your DAB AND FM tuners, any slight signal similarities local will overpower your source of signal and this would appear to be strong interference when in fact it's because your input signal is too low to start with.

Hardly - 2 miles from main Oxford transmitter (DAB, FM, AM and TV ) and clear line of sight. Besides which if you read my post interference was also there on external aerials. I do know what I am doing, having installed and sorted TV aerial and Satellite dish (multiroom and multi satellite) for over 27 years up to a couple of years ago when age and health limited my ladder climbing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not read the links I posted?

There are plenty of people using ham radio including Nigel Goodwin. But it is not interference to ham radio that is the problem as PLT manufacturers cynically notch out ham radio frequencies as they know hams understand the issues and will complain.
    No didnt read them. Probably similar to the rubbish you spout. Ive never heard of it in the flesh during my travels. And ive got 4 of them with no issues at my house too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rubbish - possible interference from PLT is a fact. I have personally experienced it.

Sorry, it's you (and Winston) who are posting rubbish - although you at least used the word 'possible' :D

If you read Winston's ludicrous posts he states it WILL interfere with your neighbours, which is completely untrue.

There is a tiny possibility of some interference to a tiny number of users, almost all of whom are radio hams or SWL's. These are well documented with OFCOM.

It sounds like in your case you were using non-approved illegal units, hence interference on other bands. Or you could just be unlucky? :p
  • Options
    marshal.beejmarshal.beej Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    So Nigel what about this ?
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/13/bbc_plt/

PLT can knock out VHF signals as well as HF. As has been said earlier in the post, PLT works by modulating the data on the mains which is not screened or balanced(in the case of CAT5,5e,6). This can result in the RF being emitted not by just your own mains but your neighbors that are on the same electrical phase. Mind you there are other modern day devices that are just as bad such as LED lighting. And don't get me started on Plasma TV's.
  • Options
    simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PLT can knock out VHF signals as well as HF.

This is where it all gets a bit confusing because the AV2 spec only allows a max frequency of 86 MHz so compliant domestic PLT devices shouldn't cause any interference on VHF or DAB transmissions unless they are radiating high levels of harmonic frequencies.
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    BOOTHY2905 wrote: »
    Shut up, Just shut up.
    Oh llook, the PLT Taliban are here. You don't want to hear about it, so you try to stifle the message. That's a very arrogant "I'm all right Jack, so screw you" attitude.
    doesn't powerline cause interference with HAM radio or something like that?
    PLT works by carrying radio-frequency signals on household wiring. Such wiring is niether screened nor twisted-pair, so it acts ike an aerial, radiating the signal. New fast PLT uses frequencies up into the 300MHz range, and although well-designed PLT kit is supposed to have minimal output on frequencies used by the general public (ham as well as FM, DAB, etc.) quite a lot of PLT kit doesn't respect the standards, according to reports from various professional radio authorities like the BBC.. Such equipment interferes with radio in general, not just ham radio. Maybe you don't have equipment that is affected by it, but you cannot know if neighbours around you have.
    I've not heard anyone still uses that tech anymore. unlucky if they do.
    Which really only confirms that you know little about radio as a subject. There are over 80,000 licensed amateurs in the UK alone, over 700,000 in the US, it's still widely-used world-wide.
  • Options
    ZaichikZaichik Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Hi
    I'm having Sky Q installed tomorrow with a Sky Q Silver in the lounge and a mini box in the bedroom. I don't have Sky Broadband (I'm with Plusnet) so I won't get the hotspot feature.
    The engineer just called to give me the times for his visit tomorrow and I asked him about the connections. He said that the mini will connect directly to my Silver box, not via my existing router. Is this correct? I'm a bit concerned as my mini will be in an upstairs bedroom on the opposite side of the house. Imagine an L shape, with my Silver in the bottom right, my existing router bottom left and my new mini top left. I'm sure I would get a strong connection if it was going via my router, but not so sure about direct box to box.
    I do have Powerline plugs - can they be used? I know I can get a good connection using those. I think I'm right in thinking that I don't get a Sky Hub without Sky Broadband?
    Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

I had Sky Q installed yesterday and, despite the fact that one of the minis is in the same room as my router, the installer connected it directly to the Sky Q silver box using WPS. He said only the silver box is connected to the home network.

Incidentally, while the Q system uses 5Ghz wifi if you have Sky BB and the hub, it will only use 2.4Ghz wifi with other BB providers.
  • Options
    Forum Member

PLT can knock out VHF signals as well as HF.

The relevant point been 'CAN' - I've never suggested there isn't a slight possibility, but almost all recorded complaints (and there aren't that many of them) were from hams and SWL's.

In the VAST majority of cases they cause no issues whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The relevant point been 'CAN' - I've never suggested there isn't a slight possibility, but almost all recorded complaints (and there aren't that many of them) were from hams and SWL's.

In the VAST majority of cases they cause no issues whatsoever.

Tou mean there are no reported complaints. Many probably accept it thinking they are in poor reception areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tou mean there are no reported complaints. Many probably accept it thinking they are in poor reception areas.

I've seen plenty of them in use, and installed quite a lot - NEVER seen (or heard) of any problems - and as a service engineer we're get service calls to such problems.

As I said, they have the 'potential' for causing interference under some circumstances, mostly when the incoming signals are below acceptable limits.

FAR more troublesome is electrolytic failure in SMPSU's (mostly 'wall wart' types), which cause FAR more interference than Homeplugs.