Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate

Comments

• twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    The BBC online broadcaster has been speaking for several minutes while Nicola Sturgeon's speech has been muted.. Finally, we can hear her..

Recon it was because she was speaking about the Dunfermline by election, the BBC not wanting to give unfair air play to SNP candidate. Didn't stop them airing the 3 main party's anti independence rhetoric during their conferences.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twogunthom wrote: »
    Recon it was because she was speaking about the Dunfermline by election, the BBC not wanting to give unfair air play to SNP candidate. Didn't stop them airing the 3 main party's anti independence rhetoric during their conferences.

Indeed - I recall the BBC showing Ruth Davidson's speech to the Tory conference in full. It was then that she told the assembled residents of the rest of the UK that they have their parts to play in telling the Scots how to vote by convincing them how much better the Union is (this is despite Cameron claiming that it has nothing to do with the rest of the UK and is a matter for Scottish residents alone to debate).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Indeed - I recall the BBC showing Ruth Davidson's speech to the Tory conference in full. It was then that she told the assembled residents of the rest of the UK that they have their parts to play in telling the Scots how to vote by convincing them how much better the Union is (this is despite Cameron claiming that it has nothing to do with the rest of the UK and is a matter for Scottish residents alone to debate).

yeah snide attacks from the safety of being out of range. I thought it was a fantastic speech from Nicola Sturgeon, also John Swinney gave a nice speach, just watched them on BBC IPlayer. Now looking forward to the White paper and hopefully a bit of forward momentum in the campaign.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Just want to say that...this attitude about Scotland being too wee, too poor or stupid to be Independent, why oh why are countries like Malta successful with a population of approx half a million, and good for them.

Yet Scotland has more to offer than Malta and has assets in natural resources, fishing, agriculture, whisky, semi-skilled, skilled, engineering, education, science, technology etc and look at the difference in population and yet is also a member of the EU.

Can someone justify the reasons against in comparison as to why Scotland cannot be accepted into the EU despite if we have to negotiate after Independence, please do.

I'm not bothered if we become a member of the EU or not but basically some people's arguments are just that, arguments of personal opinion not fact. It is feasible that Scotland can be Independent and become a better nation than that of being ruled from Westminster & make their own decisions.

I don't see what the problem is. The negative views on here are not that of concern for their scottish neighbours leaving but concern for themselves and how it may affect them. IMHO

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/malta/

Just saying.
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trulyme wrote: »
    Just want to say that...this attitude about Scotland being too wee, too poor or stupid to be Independent, why oh why are countries like Malta successful with a population of approx half a million, and good for them.
    more than half the countries of the world have a lower population than Scotland's current one & many of them are in a far weaker position than Scotland would be .... for some reason some folks gloss over that fact :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    more than half the countries of the world have a lower population than Scotland's current one & many of them are in a far weaker position than Scotland would be .... for some reason some folks gloss over that fact :rolleyes:

Agree with what you're saying & the fact that Malta was once part of the British Empire too.

There are many countries around the world who have became Independent for whatever reasons or less resources. So don't understand the argument that Scotland cannot do without Westminster control. Yet we are more civilised, have our own education systems, laws, NHS, and many more which are not reserved matters to Westminster.......

I don't get it other than the rest of the world don't understand Scotland's political history within the union or that of how the UK works.

We shouldn't compare other countries Independence regarding International law as Scotland's history, treaties are totally different to those of other countries and the arrangements or agreeance made between those countries who others make comparison to.

Scotland puts the G in Great Britain, lets not forget about that. Without that, GB would never exist & nothing to do with population.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet Scotland has more to offer than Malta and has assets in natural resources, fishing, agriculture, whisky, semi-skilled, skilled, engineering, education, science, technology etc and look at the difference in population and yet is also a member of the EU.

Can someone justify the reasons against in comparison as to why Scotland cannot be accepted into the EU despite if we have to negotiate after Independence, please do.

I'm not bothered if we become a member of the EU or not but basically some people's arguments are just that, arguments of personal opinion not fact. It is feasible that Scotland can be Independent and become a better nation than that of being ruled from Westminster & make their own decisions.

I don't see what the problem is. The negative views on here are not that of concern for their scottish neighbours leaving but concern for themselves and how it may affect them. IMHO

http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/member-countries/malta/

Just saying.

To wee, to poor, to stupid, is a lie that's been hatched for as long as I can remember, that's from the late 70s. Only dispelled in recent times. From my own experience trying to drum up support for Independence, the lie has been engrained more into the womens psyche.
  • jim4bbjim4bb Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SNP trying to buy votes again with an offer of 5% off energy bills. That's the extra that goes towards helping the environment. I thought the SNP were proud of their "Green" credentials. Where's the money going to come from to replace it. I guess that will be from the 1/3 of people in Scotland who actually work.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jim4bb wrote: »
    SNP trying to buy votes again with an offer of 5% off energy bills. That's the extra that goes towards helping the environment. I thought the SNP were proud of their "Green" credentials. Where's the money going to come from to replace it.

North Sea Oil. Or a tax on bankers' bonuses. Or a money tree. Or the extra taxes from the extra tens of thousands of green jobs that Salmond's always banging on about (but that was before they decided to ditch their green credentials).

Take your pick. It's just naked opportunism anyway. In the week the energy companies hike up the prices they come out and say they'll put them back down. Back of a envelope policy. Typical SNP. They must think we're all totally gullible. It's that sort of shit that's going to ensure that I don't vote for their proposal.

On a related topic, their 'give the votes to sixteen-year olds' ploy isn't looking too good for them. In a recent mock referendum of 11,000 16-18 year-olds, only 2000 said 'yes'.

When questioned about this Sturgeon said that the reason they wanted to give them the vote was because it was the right thing to do, and had no bearing on the fact that they thought the young folks would be easier to persuade.

Believe that and you'll believe anything.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »
    North Sea Oil. Or a tax on bankers' bonuses. Or a money tree. Or the extra taxes from the extra tens of thousands of green jobs that Salmond's always banging on about (but that was before they decided to ditch their green credentials).

Take your pick. It's just naked opportunism anyway. In the week the energy companies hike up the prices they come out and say they'll put them back down. Back of a envelope policy. Typical SNP. They must think we're all totally gullible. It's that sort of shit that's going to ensure that I don't vote for their proposal.

On a related topic, their 'give the votes to sixteen-year olds' ploy isn't looking too good for them. In a recent mock referendum of 11,000 16-18 year-olds, only 2000 said 'yes'.

When questioned about this Sturgeon said that the reason they wanted to give them the vote was because it was the right thing to do, and had no bearing on the fact that they thought the young folks would be easier to persuade.

I think you'll find that votes for 16 year olds will be introduced into the rest of the UK before too long and why not? It's frankly an insult to take taxes off a 16 year old then turn around and say they're not mature enough to vote. It's 16 in Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey plus 4 other European countries already.
  • AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's frankly an insult to take taxes off a 16 year old then turn around and say they're not mature enough to vote.

I think you'll find that I agree with you.

But that wasn't the point I was making.
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that votes for 16 year olds will be introduced into the rest of the UK before too long and why not? It's frankly an insult to take taxes off a 16 year old then turn around and say they're not mature enough to vote. It's 16 in Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey plus 4 other European countries already.

You'll find that everybody is taxable from the second they are born. So being eligible for tax doesn't really equate to being eligible to vote..
  • thmsthms Posts: 61,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jim4bb wrote: »
    SNP trying to buy votes again with an offer of 5% off energy bills. That's the extra that goes towards helping the environment. I thought the SNP were proud of their "Green" credentials. Where's the money going to come from to replace it. I guess that will be from the 1/3 of people in Scotland who actually work.

What she said..

http://www.snp.org/blog/post/2013/oct/nicola-sturgeon-conference-address

"Delegates,

I can announce today that an SNP government in an independent Scotland will remove the cost of energy saving measures and the warm home discount from energy bills. We will provide that funding from central government resources.

That will mean direct government funding for fuel poverty schemes of at least £200 million per year.

That money will be spent in a fully joined up way, on schemes designed in Scotland to meet Scottish circumstances.

And this won't just allow us to deliver our energy efficiency schemes more effectively. It will also save hard-pressed consumers money.

We estimate that it will cut energy bills by around 5% - or £70 a year.

Not a short term measure - but a real and lasting cut in Scottish energy bills."

About half of Scotland's population is in employment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-24547527

Employment in Scotland has reached its highest level for five years, according to the latest official figures.

Employment rose by 37,000 over the three months to August, and now stands at 2,548,000.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/scotland-s-population-at-new-high-1.143090

New estimates by the General Register of Scotland put the country’s population on June 30 2012 at 5,313,600, an increase of 58,800 from the year before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abewest wrote: »

It has the backing of almost all the MSPs, from all the parties.

There was a landslide majority in favour of the motion to give 16 and 17 year olds the vote in the referendum..

The actual vote was.. Yes - 103, No - 12

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23074572

(The result is announced around the 1:00 mark in the video)

An independent Scotland will not have to pay for Trident.

The money saved will be put to better use.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    It was funny watching the BBC rolling news channel interviewing loads of people they thought might give a negative POV about what was proposed and finding that the interviewees were actually quite positive about it. First up Patrick Harvie - ah yes ..a Green. He'd be sure to be against it - Nope! Then an energy expert from Edinburgh - no luck there. People in Perth one definite yes, one maybe, one no.

Finally the opposition energy spokesman - phew!

On a different topic, I was impressed with Angus Robertson's recent question and answer session with the BBC's Brian Taylor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overlooked by the news of the reduction in energy prices..

Since the mid 1990’s – all through the Blair and Brown years – there has been a steady rise in the numbers of people in work but living in poverty.

Delegates,

Labour should be ashamed of that record.

Our SNP government already has a good record in paying the living wage to all of our own employees and to those who work in the NHS.

But there is more that can be done now in both the public and the private sectors.

Today I can announce that the government will fund the Poverty Alliance to deliver a Living Wage Accreditation Scheme to promote the living wage and increase the number of private companies that pay it.

We intend to make decent pay the norm, not the exception, in our rich country.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »
    Overlooked by the news of the reduction in energy prices..

Since the mid 1990’s – all through the Blair and Brown years – there has been a steady rise in the numbers of people in work but living in poverty.

Delegates,

Labour should be ashamed of that record.

Our SNP government already has a good record in paying the living wage to all of our own employees and to those who work in the NHS.

But there is more that can be done now in both the public and the private sectors.

Today I can announce that the government will fund the Poverty Alliance to deliver a Living Wage Accreditation Scheme to promote the living wage and increase the number of private companies that pay it.

We intend to make decent pay the norm, not the exception, in our rich country.

And how are they going to achieve that in the private sector? They can't force any firm to pay more than the minimum wage. The best they could do is force a minimum level of contacted hours. But that would result in fewer people in employment.

On a side note. I'm in Scotland right now and it is my opinion that it would take every last bit of North Sea revenue to fix some of the roads. They are horrendous in places
  • barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note. I'm in Scotland right now and it is my opinion that it would take every last bit of North Sea revenue to fix some of the roads. They are horrendous in places
    much the same across whole UK ... for a large part I really lay significant blame with HGV's travelling on roads that are borderline or well below standards able to cope with them ... far more freight should be on rail, just a shame so much of the railways got ripped up from 60's on!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how are they going to achieve that in the private sector? They can't force any firm to pay more than the minimum wage. The best they could do is force a minimum level of contacted hours. But that would result in fewer people in employment.

There is a similar scheme in London..

http://livingwagenyc.org/articles/detail.php?id=409

I wonder if there is a similar scheme in the EU?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The thing that strikes me about "too wee, too poor, too stupid" is that it is always a scottish nationalist that comes out with it. You'd think some unionist must've said it first, but try researching it and the best you'll find is that it is attributed to scottish nationalists themselves.

Nobody is arguing that scotland cannot be accepted into the EU. The mindset that others are saying so goes hand-in-hand with the "too wee, too poor, too stupid" mantra that only nationalists actually say.

The EU issue has never been about scotland not being accepted as an EU member state, but about how that comes about. Until recently the SNP were adamant that it would just be plain sailing with an independent scotland straight into the EU as a member state in its own right.. and retaining the same deal as the UK in its terms of membership. It is only recently that the SNP concede that an independent scotland would have to negotiate its own terms of membership of the EU.

You should be bothered. One of the biggest, if not *the* biggest argument from the SNP for independence is that scotland pays more into the UK than it gets back so could be self supportive if independent with all of its wealth in control of scotland. But then, in the event of independence and in the EU, it would just be a net contributor directly to the EU instead of via the UK.

On top of this, in Sturgeon's speech she said scotland would negotiate its terms of membership "with the aim" of keeping the same terms as the UK. But the SNP are desperate for an independent scotland to have the tansition to member state status as flawless as possible, giving Brussels the upper hand in negotiations.

How can you be bothered about independence for scotland but not be bothered about what happens next?

I think it's fair to say that the whole independence movement is in self interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Choosing Scotland's Future: A National Conversation: Independence and Responsibility in the Modern World

published in 2007

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/08/13103747/5

3.18 Negotiations would also be required concerning the terms of Scotland's (and the rest of the United Kingdom's) continuing membership of the European Union and other international bodies to which Scotland currently belongs as a component nation of the United Kingdom. Such negotiations would necessarily involve both the Scottish and United Kingdom Governments, together with international partners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    The thing that strikes me about "too wee, too poor, too stupid" is that it is always a scottish nationalist that comes out with it. You'd think some unionist must've said it first, but try researching it and the best you'll find is that it is attributed to scottish nationalists themselves.

Nobody is arguing that scotland cannot be accepted into the EU. The mindset that others are saying so goes hand-in-hand with the "too wee, too poor, too stupid" mantra that only nationalists actually say.

That in itself is a myth. Unionists might not say the words "too wee, too poor, too stupid" in that order, but they have very much claimed that Scotland is, indeed, too wee, poor and stupid to go it alone. In this very thread we've been told that the Scottish people would elect a bunch of fascist stormtroopers (we're presumably too stupid to elect a decent government if we go independent); and that we're subsidy junkies who will lose all of our handouts (too poor). Nationalists may have summed up previous Unionists arguments into the phrase "too wee, too poor, too stupid" but that is due to some of the arguments made by Unionists being predicated on all or some of these notions.

C.f.:

You're not too wee but you're too poor!
    (ignoring the fact that the deficit was accrued by the UK)

Lib Dem MP claims Scotland is "too weak and small" for the EU! (ignoring the fact that most independent countries in the world are smaller than Scotland - even some EU members states)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That in itself is a myth. Unionists might not say the words "too wee, too poor, too stupid" in that order, but they have very much claimed that Scotland is, indeed, too wee, poor and stupid to go it alone. In this very thread we've been told that the Scottish people would elect a bunch of fascist stormtroopers (we're presumably too stupid to elect a decent government if we go independent); and that we're subsidy junkies who will lose all of our handouts (too poor). Nationalists may have summed up previous Unionists arguments into the phrase "too wee, too poor, too stupid" but that is due to some of the arguments made by Unionists being predicated on all or some of these notions.

It's a phrase invented, and used by, scottish nationalists to create a perception that it's others who are saying "too wee, too poor, too stupid", when it's actually themselves saying it.
  • seamus_guinseamus_guin Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I am currently watching the leader of the SNP on the bbc,and wow he is **** hot! i wish we had a leader such as this in ireland. it has been years since i seen a clever wise cracking likable politician.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    Let's take this in turn:

"Too wee". Sure there are arguments that being part of a bigger collective is better than being a smaller, truly independent, state. This is why the SNP is so desperate for EU member state status for an "independent" scotland, yet nobody gets a say in that bit.

"Too poor". In terms of what? Has anybody ever said that, asides from a nationalist?

and the best part of it is:

"Too stupid". What's that all about? Has anybody ever said, or even implied that, asides from scottish nationalists in the mantra?

It's a phrase invented, and used by, scottish nationalists to create a perception that it's others who are saying "too wee, too poor, too stupid", when it's actually themselves saying it.

Yes. Read the link in my last post.

And yes, we have been told in this very thread that we would elect stormtroopers as leaders and live in a one-party state. Not exactly the actions of a progressive, intelligent electorate. There was another thread in General Discussion which stated that Scotland "wouldn't know what to do with its finances" and would be out of its depth if it lost the guiding hand of Westminster. And that is to say nothing of the various trollish claims about Scots queuing up at the border begging for deep fried food and Buckfast - we've seen it all.

Face it, since the issue of independence reared its head, we have been getting told that we're subsidy junkies (a lie) that we wouldn't be able to afford this, that or the other (usually either false or debatable) and that we'd be in thrall to Alex Salmond. If you've been keeping track of this thread, you would see just how often Scotland has been claimed, by Unionists, to be too wee, too poor, too stupid (or variations on the theme) to govern itself.
This discussion has been closed.