Options

Farewell Scotland: Hello to thousands of jobs for hard working English folk

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    They would no longer be UK citizens so their passports will no longer be valid

I'd imagine current passport holder will be fine but anyone born after or applying for their first passport after they become a new state will be stuffed so the problem really won't hit either side for another 20 years on the jobs front generally
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    We would as they'd still have UK passports.

Not if we made them null and void.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Not if we made them null and void.

We can't even take passports off people fighting for ISIS so it's hard to see what grounds there would be for cancelling the passport of someone for the offence of being Scottish.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't even take passports off people fighting for ISIS so it's hard to see what grounds there would be for cancelling the passport of someone for the offence of being Scottish.

How can you have an United Kingdom passport if you are not part of the United Kingdom ? , although there will probably be some sort of compromise.

Unravelling the Union will be fiendishly complex
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Easy, you are no longer a citizen of the UK but a citizen of Scotland.

So the UK passport would be nullified and you would need to get a Scottish passport.

There may be a deal in the negotiations but at the end of the day it would be at the discretion of the UK.

Why do some people struggle with the concept of what independence really means so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    How can you have an United Kingdom passport if you are not part of the United Kingdom ? , although there will probably be some sort of compromise.

There would have to be.

Too right.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see where Lloyds go. I hope they don't go too far south. Be good for the North East if they could find a base there.

London (for the HQ anyway) for LLoyds & RBS
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »

So the UK passport would be nullified and you would need to get a Scottish passport.

There may be a deal in the negotiations but at the end of the day it would be at the discretion of the UK.

Why do some people struggle with the concept of what independence really means so much.

That is utter bollox. Nobody can take your citizenship away from you.

My parents, born in Ireland in the 1940`s, are entitled to British citizenship today, based on the fact that their parents were born in the UK prior to independence.

Why the hell they would want British passports is another question completely.
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    London (for the HQ anyway) for LLoyds & RBS

Why would anyone bank with RBS if they stopped having a link with Scotland?

Actually why does anyone bank with RBS at all?
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »

My parents, born in Ireland in the 1940`s, are entitled to British citizenship today, based on the fact that their parents were born in the UK prior to independence.

I think it might be sensible here to just show Scottish posters exactly what happened with British passports for Irish people after we left the UK, instead of editorialising about it.....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_passport#History
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Dual citizenship. New borns and people here applying for a first passport would have to get Scottish passports.

I don't want independence. The whole thing seems to be just a complete carry on. I really hope for a No vote.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member

Which part of Britain do you dislike, go on be honest.
    Not as if your opinions are based on prejudice, heavens no.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality/british-subject
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

RBS would still be a major bank in Scotland, it's just their HQ would move.

I bank with HSBC but it doesn't bother me that they don't have really any links left with Shanghai (although they still have a major presence in HK)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they have 17 million customers so the majority of their customers must come from outside Scotland.

Given the tarnish on the name now I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the W&G brand resurrected (though nothing to do with Scottish independance)
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »

Why don't you ask those in ROI who can claim a UK passport through parentage. Or even those in NI who can decide between a UK or ROI passport.
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you ask those in ROI who can claim a UK passport through parentage. Or even those in NI who can decide between a UK or ROI passport.

Not quite the same situation I feel. Whilst I'm sure Scots with parents born in rUK would be granted access to dual citizenship or residency at least...I wouldn't be so fast to grant those without that.

ISIS was mentioned and there is an easy explanation for that. The reason it has proven so difficult to remove their passports, is because looking away from their atrocious acts of terror, they are still British citizens.

Once Scotland secedes from the United Kingdom, those in Scotland will automatically become Scottish citizens as opposed to British citizens. It therefore makes sense that they would no longer be entitled to the rights and privileges (yes there are many) that comes with a British passport.

That would be like me a British citizen with no right to any other, using a German or Swiss passport to get around.
  • Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You fail to realise Scotland will be a foreign country. Why should voters not wanting to be part of the UK still rely on rUK to provide them with a passport and diplomatic services when they have voted not to be part of the UK.
    The UK government if after a yes vote should give the people another choice either you remain a UK citizen or become a Scottish citizen on independance day. Not bothering would be treated as saying I want to be Scottish.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You fail to realise Scotland will be a foreign country. Why should voters not wanting to be part of the UK still rely on rUK to provide them with a passport and diplomatic services when they have voted not to be part of the UK.
    The UK government if after a yes vote should give the people another choice either you remain a UK citizen or become a Scottish citizen on independance day. Not bothering would be treated as saying I want to be Scottish.
    What happened to the Irish after they gained independence?

were their british passports confiscated?

did they have a currency union?

its not like there is no precedence for countries becoming independent, look at history to get some idea of what will happen next
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its not like there is no precedence for countries becoming independent, look at history to get some idea of what will happen next

In the 1920's the number of uk passport holders was very small.
    I would estimate today that close on 3 million Scots have UK passports.
    Why would Scottish people want to keep UK passports after independance?
    No currency union Punt was always worth 10% less than UK pound.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 1920's the number of uk passport holders was very small. I would estimate that close on 3 million Scots have UK passports.
    Why would Scottish people want to keep UK passports after independance?

I'll certainly be burning mine

the number of passport holders is irrelevant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll certainly be burning mine

the number of passport holders is irrelevant

I wonder if the fat controller will be burning his?
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They lost their right to a British passport unless they wanted to remain British subjects. But to do so they had to apply and fulfill a set number of criteria.

Edit: The Irish were granted dual citizenship until 1949 after an act of parliament. I suspect this act will ensure that Scots do not retain dual citizenship following separation.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a load of drivel people write as thougth it is fact.

There is such a thing as dual citizenship so you could have a Scottish and a UK passport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    What a load of drivel people write as thougth it is fact.

There is such a thing as dual citizenship so you could have a Scottish and a UK passport.

Only if the rUK government want to grant it.