Options

So how did the master survive?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
Forum Member
Have I missed something? Was it explained how he got out of the end of time?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I don't think it was explained, or even brought up
  • Options
    dublintvfandublintvfan Posts: 5,077
    Forum Member
    awful completely overlooked to make it a clara happy ending had such potential but just a plot device....
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well the doctor saved gallifrey in day of the doctor and since the master was there they survived as well.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Looked to me that if Missy survived, then so did Osgood and the others she zapped with that device... it's not like the Doctor sonicked the thing to reverse the polarity...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    El Medico wrote: »
    I don't think it was explained, or even brought up

Really dissapointed. All of the reviewers said this was explained but I couldn't see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something that should have been expanded on rather than the whole stupid Clara/Danny story part...When the Master was the Simm incarnation, he was using up his life force so, how did he regenerate? How did he/she get to Earth from Gallifray?
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends when you meant.

In the original timeline The Master survived the Time War by becoming Professor Yana and going to the end of time.

Now if in the 50th anniversary episode he had already left Gallifrey before they froze it in time then the Doctor's actions wouldn't have affected them

If you mean the End Of The Time then that hasn't been explained.

But does it need to be?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    He was taken back to before the timewar was time locked, he was likely fixed by the timelords, and managed to escape before the timelock.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is something that should have been expanded on rather than the whole stupid Clara/Danny story part...When the Master was the Simm incarnation, he was using up his life force so, how did he regenerate? How did he/she get to Earth from Gallifray?

Maybe he didn't go to Gallifrey at the conclusion of the End Of Time?
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    But does it need to be?
    Not urgently, no. His/her constant survival has always been explained in a vague, half baked manner, I can't believe anyone really cares all that much.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Not urgently, no. His/her constant survival has always been explained in a vague, half baked manner, I can't believe anyone really cares all that much.

They're just using it as another stick with which to beat the Moff
  • Options
    Bob_1971Bob_1971 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    UCOS_ wrote: »

It's Steven Moffat's Doctor Who! Something was Explained? Don't be daft!! :o
  • Options
    snakecharmer37snakecharmer37 Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    They're just using it as another stick with which to beat the Moff

I'm sorry, but if the 'Moff' puts out disastrous episodes like tonights mess, then he deserves to be beaten with sticks.

Yes, every writer/showrunner can have a bad day and turn out some c*ap now and again, but with Moffat it seems to be the other way round.
    In this series, I can only think of two episodes I would even consider watching again. The rest is dogw*nk.

It really makes me laugh. In some peoples opinion, Moffat can do no wrong, even when he does mess things up. Even when the vast majority is against them, they will steadfastly argue that Moffat is a genius and how dare we say otherwise.

Well i'm sorry, but Moffat is not a genius. Not even close. He is an above average writer that is on borrowed time on Doctor Who. Trouble is, he is surviving on a couple of past glories. They won't last forever though.
  • Options
    ryanr554ryanr554 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was brought up tonight actually.

The Doctor asked Missy how he survived and Missy replied "The best thing about knowing is not telling you". Probably a cop out by Moffatt but it was a terrific line to be fair.
  • Options
    Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member

Not yet. Betting that's being saved for a later date.
    awful completely overlooked to make it a clara happy ending had such potential but just a plot device....

How was it a happy ending for Clara? Her fella is dead and her best mate is going away to leave her alone?!?!
  • Options
    Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, but if the 'Moff' puts out disastrous episodes like tonights mess, then he deserves to be beaten with sticks.

Yes, every writer/showrunner can have a bad day and turn out some c*ap now and again, but with Moffat it seems to be the other way round.
    In this series, I can only think of two episodes I would even consider watching again. The rest is dogw*nk.

It really makes me laugh. In some peoples opinion, Moffat can do no wrong, even when he does mess things up. Even when the vast majority is against them, they will steadfastly argue that Moffat is a genius and how dare we say otherwise.

Well i'm sorry, but Moffat is not a genius. Not even close. He is an above average writer that is on borrowed time on Doctor Who. Trouble is, he is surviving on a couple of past glories. They won't last forever though.

I could easily apply what you say to RTD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member

Was it ever explained how the Daleks escape?
    Was it ever explained how Anthony Ainleys master escaped the Cat planet, being eaten by a reptile?
    Was it ever explained how multiple returning enemies over the 50 years would escape what was a perilous predicament?...

Some things are best left to the imagination.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    It was brought up tonight actually.

The Doctor asked Missy how he survived and Missy replied "The best thing about knowing is not telling you". Probably a cop out by Moffatt but it was a terrific line to be fair.

I thought that comment was more about her having found Gallifrey?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope missy returns and it is explained, I also hope the 'my clara' like from flatline wasn't really that well explained either. The 'the best part of knowing is not telling you line' I also thought was about knowing where gallifrey is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a bit Missy Wissy, Beardy Weirdy.
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My headcanon is that Simm was pulled to Gallifrey with the others, and eventually used up all his life force (a good portion of which went to frying Rassilon) prompting a regeneration. The only part of this I don't get is how he/she managed to escape.

Typical Moffat. The one thing I want him to explain isn't explained. >:(. On all other counts though, good episode!:)
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProfMarius wrote: »
    I thought that comment was more about her having found Gallifrey?

It was. :confused:
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

So in other words I'm not allowed to like the episode and how dare I have a different opinion to the (alleged) majority??
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't need to run and place her hands behind those tombstones - but she did.