Midnight Launches

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone tell me as to what is the attraction is of going to a midnight launch of a game ?

I mean. it's not the end of the world, is it?

Just a bunch of S.O.I.LS.

Comments

• Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me as to what is the attraction is of going to a midnight launch of a game ?

I mean. it's not the end of the world, is it?

Just a bunch of S.O.I.LS.

Because people want to?

Why do people queue up for days/weeks for new mobile phones/tickets to events etc?

Everybodies different, nothing wrong with people who go to midnight launches, just because you dont see the appeal, doesn't mean others dont..
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because people so desperately want to be the first one to own something they are willing to queue for hours or days to do so, it's quite sad really.

The only time I have ever gone for a game at midnight was when GTA4 came out and the only reason I did is because I finished work at midnight and was a 2 minute drive from Asda, so thought I may as well grab it been as I wanted it anyway and it was no extra hassle to do so.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand concert tickets as they will limited. But games, phones etc are not really needed. That guy that queued 3 days for an iPhone 6 when most people ordered online the night before.

As for games, many a morning I woke up to play my new game only to find friends who are playing all night from the midnight launch. They would all need sleep by about 10am. Half their games crashed as the world was trying to get on. By the time they wake up i have usually have passed them all.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soils?
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Soils?

This.

Please explain.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was a student and living right in the city centre I would often go to these for games. Just a bit of fun really and easy to get to since Game was a 3 min walk from the halls. I would only show up at 11:30 so I didn't wait long and if you were lucky you sometimes got a free gift.

Normally when I got back we would all play it for a few hours before heading to bed. I wouldn't stay up all night, don't see the appeal of burning through a game so quickly.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never went to a midnight launch! ... I'm just not that obsessed with gaming! ... + I don't fancy getting a kicking / mugged on the way home! 😇
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I've never went to a midnight launch! ... I'm just not that obsessed with gaming! ... + I don't fancy getting a kicking / mugged on the way home! 😇

haha, yeah ok, your just as bad as me and im 46 lol..

i just get to watch the kids most of the time being honest but im looking forward to getting online....

Forza demo has just about finished..10.00

put it on about half 8, am also downloading Sopranos in HD, using the laptop and had a few games on Titanfall with no lag or connection errors..:)

is that good, 90 minutes for a 10gb demo??
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand why people do it but its very nerdy. With the invention of preloading digital games, I can be a armchair nerd. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i just get to watch the kids most of the time being honest but im looking forward to getting online....

put it on about half 8, am also downloading Sopranos in HD, using the laptop and had a few games on Titanfall with no lag or connection errors..:)

U wanna create a U.S. account & go X1 digital! ... I've got Forza2 / sleeping dogs already on my HDD & they cost me about £30 each! (Waiting for alien isolation & evil within to hit xbox.com) ... as for my obsession I spend more time talking about games then playing! :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U wanna create a U.S. account & go X1 digital! ... I've got Forza2 / sleeping dogs already on my HDD & they cost me about £30 each! (Waiting for alien isolation & evil within to hit xbox.com) ... as for my obsession I spend more time talking about games then playing! :blush:

maybe??

i like my physical copies though...

and is there enough room on the HDD....??

mind you i suppose you can delete and re install with fibre;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe??

i like my physical copies though...

and is there enough room on the HDD....??

mind you i suppose you can delete and re install with fibre;-)

I've got a WD 2TB My Passport connected to the X1 & have downloaded about 10 full price retail titles in the last 2 days & I've only used about 10% of space! :)

(Digital (especially US) is the future!!! ... Embrace it!!!) 👍 😎
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

9 minutes per GB isn't to bad at all, mine is only about 8 and that's fast enough for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forza Horizon looks amazing.......

:o:o:o:o:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a WD 2TB My Passport connected to the X1 & have downloaded about 10 full price retail titles in the last 2 days & I've only used about 10% of space! :)

(Digital (especially US) is the future!!! ... Embrace it!!!) 👍 😎

what do i do with that then??:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forza Horizon looks amazing.......

:o:o:o:o:o

That was my reaction when I fired up RYSE for the 1st time afew days back! ;-)

(It's the 1st time in months I've truly enjoyed a gaming session, I was instantly hooked, which is summit that's never happened on my ps4 yet!) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plug it in the left USB port! 👍
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did the launches for the COD's from MW2 through to Black Ops. Also booked the week off work for them.

I just found it really exciting and loved picking it up and playing it straight away.

Then I got older and valued my sleep more....plus CoD didn't exactly keep getting better.

I'm also lazy - for example I was super excited for Destiny, but why leave the house when I could just pre-download it and play it straight away?
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If your on about the US store look at the this thread but use India its even cheaper and legal.
    I just did it this morning: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2010749
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those that have asked what S.O.I.LS stands it stands for IMHO:

Self Obsessed Idiotic Losers

or

Stupid Overrated Imbeciles Lazies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    For those that have asked what S.O.I.LS stands it stands for IMHO:

Self Obsessed Idiotic Losers

or

Stupid Overrated Imbeciles Lazies.

Intriguing
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soils?

Clearly insulting.
  • davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Personally don't see the point in midnight launches. I pre-order and tend to get games a day or 2 early anyway. Or atleast that was the case with ps3 games, haven't purchased any ps4 games on launch day yet.
  • Brian1709Brian1709 Posts: 2,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did it once for the 2nd WOW expansion. Ir was at Tesco of all places. Of course it isn't necessary any more as most things can be preloaded ready to go at the appointed time.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd
    Ike to go to a midnight launch as I rarely talk to anyone who is a gamer. Had along chat with a guy in game and it was nice.