Options

12 travelling alone (spec)

Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Clara might be leaving for good at christmas. So 12 will eventually need a new companion. However what happens before he or she comes into his life ?.
12 has been on his own a lot while Clara was living her "normal" life and then after DIH.
Doctor is suppose to be dangerous when alone. Noone to look after him or keep him in check. Will he be ok ?. Depends on how Clara leaves I suppose. Hope it is a happy not tragic exit. If 12 knows she is fine and lives a good happy life he will find it easier. Let her go and move on to his next companion(s) and adventures. So far he has kept himself out of trouble but we could get a shaky start to S9 before he decides to take his new freind(s)on board the tardis. Would like something different next time. Possibly two companions or a man or a non human anything. Just to continue the change. DW works best when they combine old and new. Mad man in a blue box going through time and space trying to help people on the way.:):p

Comments

• Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The character's not called "12", he's called The Doctor ;-)
  • Options
    Mike_DalbyMike_Dalby Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    To be fair though this incarnation can be referred to as 12. I'd usually only use numbers to differentiate between Doctors but I can't see anything wrong with referring to Capaldi's Doctor as 12.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't mind the doctor traveling on his own for a few episodes as it would give us a chance to actually get to see this incarnation center stage on his own without the scene hogging, ultra important for no resaon, control freak that is Clara oswald.

I feel him traveling alone for too long would make things feel a bit lacking, as the 2009 specials seemed to prove, but I would hope any new companion is someone whom can actually be written in a way which makes us care about them as a character because of who they are, rather than presenting us with someone obnoxious and over bearing and then making up reasons why they are important over and over in a weak attempt to make us care.

Also, i'd really like to see a permanent traveler who has a real zest for the lifestyle in the same way as Rose or Donna. The doctor and us as an audience deserve a companion who cares as much about the adventure of time and space as the doctor does.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I reckon it's time the Doctor got a family together again! (like Peter Davison did with Tegan, Nyssa and Turlough) / Hartnell with Ian, Barbara and Susan etc)
    Not ALL companions have to be involved every story - one could go back home for a while - and return the following week! It would just be nice to see more people aboard the Tardis other than ONE companion. It worked well in the Old Series, why not now?
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem with the Doctor travelling alone is that he doesn't have someone familiar every week with whom he can talk and develop chemistry. They'd have to rely on the characters of the week.

If every writer could pull that off, either hit the ground running to save some time, or pace it well and develop every character organically, it would actually be a novel way to write the show.

They tried it once with Tom Baker after Elizabeth Saden left, but apparently it didn't work out so well.

Anyway, it's not an absolute rule that he needs a companion to keep him from going over the edge, its just a reoccurring theme. Eleven travelled for 200 years alone and he seemed all right.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Doctor travelling alone... They tried it once with Tom Baker after Elizabeth Saden left, but apparently it didn't work out so well.

Which stories were those then?
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only problem with the Doctor travelling alone is that he doesn't have someone familiar every week with whom he can talk and develop chemistry. They'd have to rely on the characters of the week.

If every writer could pull that off, either hit the ground running to save some time, or pace it well and develop every character organically, it would actually be a novel way to write the show.

They tried it once with Tom Baker after Elizabeth Saden left, but apparently it didn't work out so well.

Anyway, it's not an absolute rule that he needs a companion to keep him from going over the edge, its just a reoccurring theme. Eleven travelled for 200 years alone and he seemed all right.

That's not quite right.

Yes, The Deadly Assassin saw the Doctor without a regular companion for the first time in the show's history but it wasn't the case that this was an experiment that "didn't work out so well".

The companionless Doctor was only ever intended for this one story, Leela joined him as planned in the very next story.

The Deadly Assassin focused very much on the rivalry between the Master and the Doctor and writer Robert Holmes couldn't see anything that a companion could do on Gallifrey. Elizabeth Sladen wanted to leave, so she was written out with the excuse that non-Gallifreyan's weren't allowed to visit the planet (a rule that was conveniently forgotten in later years).

Tom Baker had argued that the Doctor didn't need a companion and there has been some suggestion that The Deadly Assassin was deliberately structured without one partly to prove to Tom that a companionless Doctor was very awkward to write for.

So The Deadly Assassin was not a failed experiment, it was planned and written this way with a new companion arriving in the very next story.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_Dalby wrote: »
    To be fair though this incarnation can be referred to as 12. I'd usually only use numbers to differentiate between Doctors but I can't see anything wrong with referring to Capaldi's Doctor as 12.

No, he is the 13th Doctor. Moffat made it clear in The Day Of The Doctor when all Doctors were working to put Gallifrey safe - a character mentioned "all thirteen of them". To my mind, that is conclusive evidence.

Peter is Doctor no. 13.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    As unlikely as it seems now, I'd love Clara to stay on and have a new young male companion join as well - as another friend, not a love interest of any kind. Maybe not even from contemporary times.

Anything but a lone Doctor. I don't know whether it was just brilliant companions disguising how bland and dull the Tenth Doctor was, but the Specials year highlighted the weaknesses of not having a consistent face alongside the Doctor each week. They just have to make sure it's not too formulaic - so no, preferably not yet another young woman living in England. We've had five of those in a row now, four of which living in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    That's not quite right.

Yes, The Deadly Assassin saw the Doctor without a regular companion for the first time in the show's history but it wasn't the case that this was an experiment that "didn't work out so well".

The companionless Doctor was only ever intended for this one story, Leela joined him as planned in the very next story.

The Deadly Assassin focused very much on the rivalry between the Master and the Doctor and writer Robert Holmes couldn't see anything that a companion could do on Gallifrey. Elizabeth Sladen wanted to leave, so she was written out with the excuse that non-Gallifreyan's weren't allowed to visit the planet (a rule that was conveniently forgotten in later years).

Tom Baker had argued that the Doctor didn't need a companion and there has been some suggestion that The Deadly Assassin was deliberately structured without one partly to prove to Tom that a companionless Doctor was very awkward to write for.

So The Deadly Assassin was not a failed experiment, it was planned and written this way with a new companion arriving in the very next story.

Ah OK :)
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm somehow frustrated with The Twelfth Doctor:blush: I feel like telling him, get a comic, too serious.:D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

To be fair it was either be alone or be stuck with Amy I think I'd sooner be alone for the rest of my regenerations then spend 1 trip with miss sulk a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair it was either be alone or be stuck with Amy I think I'd sooner be alone for the rest of my regenerations then spend 1 trip with miss sulk a lot
    I'm gonna have to re-watch series 5 and 6 again, because I really don't remember all this sulking everyone keeps talking about.

I only remember her sulking whenever Rory died... oh, OK never mind.