Where's Jon Stewart?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samantha Bee is currently my favourite correspondent. I also loved Rob Corddry, Steve Carrel and Stephen Colbert.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    Well, until recently Stewart 'liked' John McCain in terms of the whole 'straight talk express' but by the time McCain was last on the show he'd reversed so many of his stances to appease the Christian right that you could tell Stewart was visibly disappointed, and he's certainly become a figure that gets the Daily Show treatment.

On the Dems side, John clearly liked John Kerry in the last election but pokes fun at him a lot for basically throwing it by not reacting to some of the mudslinging, and by coming across as too erudite, longwinded and not so much a man of the people.

There's been a couple of fat gags aimed at Gore as well!

I obviously haven't been watching The Daily Show as long as you have so can only comment on the episodes that I have seen.
    I remember Jon making fun of McCain's trip to Iraq (the whole market thing) and they had a pretty heated debate a while back.
    I also find it difficult to see him actually liking any leading Republicans at present.

The Gore/fat jokes don't really qualify as it has nothing to do with politics. Has he ever criticised his policies though?

Tommy_tank wrote: »
    Yeah, Samantha Bee is my favourite of the current correspondents (did you know she was married to fellow correspondent Jason Jones?). Although I miss Colbert and Rod Corddry.

Quite weird seeing John Oliver on there, I watch a lot of stand up comedy and used to see him on the comedy circuit a lot. Apparently a Comedy Central exec saw him perform at the Edinburgh Festival last year and offered him the job straight away.

To those worrying how Jon will cope when Bush leaves, I wouldn't worry. The whole Democrat Presidential Nomination has given him loads of material. Although as mentioned previously, I can't see him being on Comedy Central for too long - he's definitely being groomed as Letterman's eventual successor. Isn't Conan O'Brien taking over from Leno soon? Maybe Jon will take over from Conan and then eventually replace Dave (who I personally hope doesn't retire for a long time yet as he is the King!).

If I remember correctly, Conan is taking over The Tonight Show in '09. As these shows don't really have "seasons", I don't know if it will be at the start of the year, the end, or before the summer "slowdown". It would probably be around September/October, when the new TV series kick in and during the Nielsens.

Is Letterman actually scheduled to leave?
    With both the Late Show and Late Night in NYC, I guess it will be a bidding war between NBC and CBS.

But what do I know...?

gaffer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Letterman's not scheduled to leave as far as I know. I think he's signed a contract with CBS until 2010. If he ever does decide to retire though, I'd imagine Jon will be the favourite to take over (he's been on Dave's show and they seem to get on very well).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_gaffer wrote: »
    I obviously haven't been watching The Daily Show as long as you have so can only comment on the episodes that I have seen.
    I remember Jon making fun of McCain's trip to Iraq (the whole market thing) and they had a pretty heated debate a while back.
    I also find it difficult to see him actually liking any leading Republicans at present.

The Gore/fat jokes don't really qualify as it has nothing to do with politics. Has he ever criticised his policies though?

I honestly can't remember - When TDS has a go at the democrats, it actually tends to be 'en masse' as it were for finally taking back the Senate and Congress, and then still giving in to everything GWB does. I get the impression he thinks they're completely blowing their chance of making any effective change. And that they're wussies.

McCain has been on 4, maybe 5 times, and until recently was a Republican that Stewart had a lot of respect for. Unfortunately in the race for the White House a lot of his positions have kind of capitulated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Bush is in many ways too damn easy for them. As often as not he makes fun of other media outlets and the way they cover things, nothing much will change if a democrat wins. in fact the programme will proably get more interesting as they'll have to work a bit harder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vertigo93 wrote: »
    I honestly can't remember - When TDS has a go at the democrats, it actually tends to be 'en masse' as it were for finally taking back the Senate and Congress, and then still giving in to everything GWB does. I get the impression he thinks they're completely blowing their chance of making any effective change. And that they're wussies.

McCain has been on 4, maybe 5 times, and until recently was a Republican that Stewart had a lot of respect for. Unfortunately in the race for the White House a lot of his positions have kind of capitulated.

The Dems are often accused of blowing their chances even when it would be easier to win.
    I agree about attacking them 'en masse', but he has done specific attacks on major figures (Clinton, Obama, Pelosi...).

I wonder if Jon will ever back a candidate in the Primaries. Obviously, he'll back the Dem in the General.
    Bush is in many ways too damn easy for them. As often as not he makes fun of other media outlets and the way they cover things, nothing much will change if a democrat wins. in fact the programme will proably get more interesting as they'll have to work a bit harder.

That's why they have "The Shmaily Shmow". :D

gaffer
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if anyone is interested, the sitcom starring Rob Corddry called "the winner" is on ITV4 tonight.

i'm guessing it's a repeat of the first episode from last night - i watched it to see what it was like and turned it off after 5 minutes because it didn't make me laugh at all, and the canned laughter was so obvious, it was almost saying "pleeeease laugh".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Tommy_tank wrote: »
    Isn't Conan O'Brien taking over from Leno soon?

Maybe off according to reports http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/06/27/nbc-reportedly-wont-boot_n_54014.html

I would guess Conan would be leaving if it's true.