Options

5* & 5USA expected to join Freesat in 2011

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
Forum Member
Received a mail from Channel 5 today:
Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding Freesat.

Due to a lack of narrow beam capacity, we have been unable to make FIVER (5* from 7th March) and Five USA (5 USA from 7th March) available on this platform since it was launched. However, additional capacity on Freesat is likely to become available later this year and we are planning to make the channels available once this is in place.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your interest in Channel 5.

I guess the extra capacity refered to, must be Astra 1N.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    great news!

ive been stuck in a hotel all week by myself and with no pvr and freeview only. i have often just found myself going to 5 usa to watch CSI when i cant find anything..yep sad i know, but it keeps be entertained:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Astra 1N launching to 28 degrees East? I thought next satellite at this position is Astra 2F due late 2012?
  • Options
    cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great to know. My ex-Sky Pace box is about to pack in (I think) so if this is the case I may not need to get my Sky card matched with a replacement box as Sky3 (soon to be PickTV) will be the only use for it and they show nothing of interest to me anyway.
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to know where this extra capacity is coming from... There doesn't seem anything on the cards yet
  • Options
    ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is great to know. My ex-Sky Pace box is about to pack in (I think) so if this is the case I may not need to get my Sky card matched with a replacement box as Sky3 (soon to be PickTV) will be the only use for it and they show nothing of interest to me anyway.

If you are talking about a freesat from sky card, not a sky subscription, it does not need pairing to the box and will work in any box.

Good news about fiver and fiveUSA. They are sadly missing from freesat and their addition will make the channel line up pretty complete as far as I'm concerned.

No news of five HD FTA yet then? They could have space for that straight away if they had leased the space the BBC advertised on their 2D HD transponder, so I'm not totally convinced space is the issue, perhaps a lack of will to find the space?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is true, we just need 5 HD and flim 4 HD and FS will be complete.
  • Options
    cheekyanguscheekyangus Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »
    If you are talking about a freesat from sky card, not a sky subscription, it does not need pairing to the box and will work in any box.

Yes I've never had a Sky sub ever. That's good....I must have got mixed up by memories of having to read some on-screen numbers to a Sky rep when I first got the card and then having to wait for something to activate. :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nepotism46 wrote: »
    Is Astra 1N launching to 28 degrees East? I thought next satellite at this position is Astra 2F due late 2012?

1N is going to 28.2E, launch 2nd quarter 2011. May be on line by Summer 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=39089648&postcount=1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like its end of 2012 before any new narrow beam satellite (Astra 2F) at 28.2° East. Sorry to disappoint everyone!
    That's provided it doesn't explode at launch or fails in orbit!
  • Options
    bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The statement that "ASTRA 1N will initially be positioned at ASTRA`s 28.2° East UK hotspot..." is difficult to find now on the SES/Astra website. Have the plans for Astra 1N changed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1N was always going to be 19.2 East. Click on the Astra1n launch on the last link and it tells you when and where its going.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    Does it matter how it's done?, it's good news it's happening, and great that Five have emailed about it.

Anyone else think that 5* is a weird name for a channel?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter how it's done?, it's good news it's happening, and great that Five have emailed about it.

Won't make sense to go on Astra 19.2E when 28.2E is UK focused. Would you put up another satellite dish for FIVER and FIVE USA?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1N was always going to be 19.2 East. Click on the Astra1n launch on the last link and it tells you when and where its going.

This came from the SES website late 2010

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54601843@N03/5068070339
  • Options
    JepsonJepson Posts: 3,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. On the other hand almost anything is better than 'Fiver'.

C5 are pretty naff on the whole identity thing.

Daft channel names and an OTT DOG. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member

That is a statement from SES Astra from last year:

ASTRA 1N will initially be positioned at ASTRA`s 28.2° East UK hotspot. ASTRA 1N will give interim additional UK 'spot beam' capacity in band C, before moving to 19.2E to replace ASTRA 1G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't make sense to go on Astra 19.2E when 28.2E is UK focused. Would you put up another satellite dish for FIVER and FIVE USA?

Does it really matter?

C5 seem to believe they have somewhere from where to transmit and that's the important thing.
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this could be a good year for free sat channel 4hd soon and buy the end of the year fiver and five usa really big channels.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they do go onto Freesat hopefully they'll be able to up the bitrate and resolution which is quite poor on Freeview.

I expect C5-HD is tied in with Sky for a while yet, but it's not exactly crammed with HD stuff atm anyway.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really a mystery? BBC still have space...
    http://www.linowsat.co.uk/cgi-bin/lsat.cgi?0282-10847-V-2050-0-0

Everyone assumes CH4HD or BBC Two HD may go there, but in the absence of that, then as long as it stays DVB-S, SD channels could be parked there instead.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    This is excellent news! :)

Placing all of 5s channels on a separate transponder would hopefully increase the SD picture quality.
    There were quite a drop after the BBC reshuffle.:(

Reading the satellite mission tab for 1N at the SES page got me thinking...
    The east Beam of 1G, now at 31.5E (according to satbeams.com/footprints?position=31), could provide a "spot beam" to the UK, Iceland and the Atlantic ocean...
    The two 1G East beam frequencies currently in use overlap with 2As (in use by $ky).

C4 HD would also need a tighter beam soon:rolleyes:
  • Options
    InsanepersonInsaneperson Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone please explain to me how '5*' is pronounced? :S
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could someone please explain to me how '5*' is pronounced? :S

"Five - see below". :D