Options

Grammar gadgies...

Satan SlaveSatan Slave Posts: 460
Forum Member
My grammar has usually been fairly ok, not obsessed with it though, and of course as time goes by I'm making more and more errors, tbh this IPad is guilty of actually typing others letters other than what I press!!..

I know it sounds like bollocks but hey , that's the truth.

Anyway, I'm not one of those folk who will use errors in another's grammar simply to point score in heated debate.

I've never gone for that and I believe it's poor sport, kind of like someone thinking they are better than you, probably similar to how many Africa s feel we are somehow superior to them, I don't like that, we are all the same.

But I noticed in the past that when on another forum, some will resort to using other's errors in grammar as an excuse to Insult, , cheek up, abuse or take the piss out of other posters.

It has been a while since I have witnessed this kind of behaviour thankfully, but has anyone else ever encountered this ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    You don't put a space before a comma, only after.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Fcuk off!!!:D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Fcuk off!!!:D

Mis-spelling a word in order to circumvent the swear-filter is grounds for a ban on this forum, so I've been told. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    He can claim it's his poor spelling. The mods might let him off then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He can claim it's his poor spelling. The mods might let him off then.

..oh tis it tis :)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's a gadgie.?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

But I noticed in the past that when on another forum, some will resort to using other's errors in grammar as an excuse to Insult, , cheek up, abuse or take the piss out of other posters.

I don't know what "cheek up" means. Or "gadgies".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Punctuation is based on orthographic conventions, not grammar. An oral-only language has a grammar, even though it has no written form. Grammar is based on things such as word order and correct tense usage - it's basically the rules that govern whether what you say makes sense or not.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I am from, a gadgie is the same as a chav.

Most gadgies have poor grammar.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eye finks dis fred whill atract grammer nahtzees
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    It has been a while since I have witnessed this kind of behaviour thankfully, but has anyone else ever encountered this ?

On this forum? Certainly not - perish the thought!

Oh, by the way ...
    But I noticed in the past that when on another forum, some will resort to using other's errors in grammar as an excuse to ... <snip> ... take the piss out of other posters.

"others' errors" - the errors of others.

Hope that helps. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Like chavs.
  • Options
    Forum Member

..you REALLY have not worked out what 'cheek up ' means?

And tbh, it does not take much working out, just read it as it says, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Clue...it's not the kind of cheeks on our face or our backside.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yosemite wrote: »
    On this forum? Certainly not - perish the thought!

Oh, by the way ...

"others' errors" - the errors of others.

Hope that helps. ;)

...oops!!, hardon me!:)

Thanks.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is not the first thing I mention, however, knowing the difference between your and you're / there, their and they're is not much to ask, is it ?

The reaction from the person being corrected tends to say more about them, then the person doing the correcting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    People that type "should of" instead of "should have"... it annoys me, but I wouldn't pull them up on it... otherwise I sound like my mother
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally when someone resorts to being pedantic about someone's grammar during a debate, I see that as them starting to "lose" the debate- their arguments are being taken apart so all they have left is ad hominem attacks or grammar pedantry.

That said, if som1 wz spkin lyk dis an didnt spll thing proparly an refoosed 2 punktuate there sentances acc lulz I'd probably get annoyed and ask them to speak properly.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I couldn't give two hoots about people's grammar. As long as you can understand the post, I don't understand why people get wound up about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    ..you REALLY have not worked out what 'cheek up ' means?

And tbh, it does not take much working out, just read it as it says, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Clue...it's not the kind of cheeks on our face or our backside.
    I figured out the context, it wasn't hard. But I've never heard either of them before. I guess it's a Scottish thing?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People that type "should of" instead of "should have"... it annoys me, but I wouldn't pull them up on it... otherwise I sound like my mother

You should always listen to your mother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I figured out the context, it wasn't hard. But I've never heard either of them before. I guess it's a Scottish thing?

...aye Jane, the 'gadgies' is a Scots term :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is not the first thing I mention, however, knowing the difference between your and you're / there, their and they're is not much to ask, is it ?

The reaction from the person being corrected tends to say more about them, then the person doing the correcting.

...that just does not ring true Sheets, the person correcting someone continually for very minor errors is the issue IMO.

I make errors with small words at times myself , but if it is still readable , then what is the problem?..

Why would one so educated and astute get all hot and bothered by very trivial spelling errors or missed comas?...

See, the corrector obviously has issues.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coco Bryce fae Pilton.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...that just does not ring true Sheets, the person correcting someone continually for very minor errors is the issue IMO.

I make errors with small words at times myself , but if it is still readable , then what is the problem?..

Why would one so educated and astute get all hot and bothered by very trivial spelling errors or missed comas?...

See, the corrector obviously has issues.

Maybe as they do not see it as trivial ?

Bad grammar etc grates with me, but I don't always point it out and would never use it to try and score points, unless I was in a bad mood.

Also, at work I have to put up with it from so-called managers that I can't correct so easily. I guess I sometimes correct people online purely because I can - also, they might not be aware of their mistakes and might learn something.

I used to get it's and its wrong until someone on a forum pulled me up on it. I was grateful to them for pointing it out.