David Bowie makes a rare public appearance with wife Iman

2»

Comments

• Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite sad to come back to this thread and seeing arguments. I thought it would be a happy thread. Oh well!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Bowie is a god.

I won't say 'the' god, as I have several.

But a god, he is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bowie is a god.

But a god, he is.

I agree. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Exactly. All this Bowie is so cool crap...

Wasn't so long ago he was spouting racist nonsense.

McCartney will never be cool, might die his hair etc. But he's a melodic genius who isn't appreciated by his own country.

well said mate.

Believe me mccartney is only seen as 'less cool' than 'bowie' in this country [the uk].....accross the world mccartney continues to be the most popular ,influential and respect musician of them all...however in the UK there seems to be a complete infatuation with a popular childrens song he did in the 1980's and his current live singing which admittedly isnt that great anymore.
    mccartney has never really been 'cool'..his level of fame and talent has always gone byond that and much though i like david bowie its a complete FACT that mccartney has been a bigger artist than him in his second career post 1970....yes completely diss-regard everything the beatle's every did and mccartney as a post beatle act has secured more hits and sold more records than 'david bowie' accross the world [especially in america where it really matters]....!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    At least Bowie doesn't embarrass himself by singing plink plonk wings inspired bilge like mccartneys latest record. It is truly awful and like something from the 70s.

mccartneys latest record might not come with the hype of the 'bowie' album earlier in the year but i think it is far stronger..and for exactly the reasons you slate it for..yes it does sound like its from the 1970s!....whats wrong with that?..........and yes im speaking as someone who does like bowie ...his latest record was over-rated but it was still good. and his 1970s work remains on the A list of my record collection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has Paul McCartney's name been brought into this thread? It's totally irrelevant.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Why has Paul McCartney's name been brought into this thread? It's totally irrelevant.

I know. Some people can't seem to say a word of praise about anyone without putting someone else down.
  • wintersnow1979wintersnow1979 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Bowie is a god.

But a god, he is.

Sadly like all of us, he is merely mortal...
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My fault and I hold my hands up. I couldn't help noticing how stylish Bowie is for his age because he dresses for his age not like PM. Sorry.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    My fault and I hold my hands up. I couldn't help noticing how stylish Bowie is for his age because he dresses for his age not like PM. Sorry.:o

I hope I didn't come across as telling people off - I think if it had just stopped at your post then it would have been fine, but it's like "haters" of someone - in this case Paul McCartney - just HAVE to speak out at every chance they get even when it's not the main subject of discussion. It's so tiresome, is all.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I love Bowie, he is a god for sure. And he looks good for 66.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I love Bowie, he is a god for sure. And he looks good for 66.

He is the definition of cool for me. Always will be. :)
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    He is the definition of cool for me. Always will be. :)

Definitely. Only someone as cool as David could get away with some of the outfits he's worn over the years. I went to the Bowie Exhibition at the V & A in March and was amazed at some of the things he wore in the 70s. :D
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farmer Ted wrote: »
    The rumours of Bowie being a racist stem from his flirtation with fascism around 1974. Setting aside the "Victoria Station Nazi Salute" thing, which is so ambiguous it's actually funny, David did go on record at least twice stating his admiration for Adolf Hitler. He's subsequently refuted that he feels that way, but it *WAS* said and reported by journalists. Some of the more die-hard Bowie fans feel that he should be forgiven for that, as he was gakked out of his head on Class A's at the time. Fascism doesn't necessarily = racism, but that is the source of some long standing rumours.

Anybody who really believes Bowie is a racist or a fascist is crazy. I do believe that he took way too many drugs during the thin white duke days though and probably can't remember half of the garbage he spouted.