Is pansexuality on the rise?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
Forum Member
No this is not homosexual, bisexual nor is it heterosexual.

Pansexuality basically refers to someone who loves/attracted to because someone because of their personality and not because of their gender. It can be a transgender, a straight or a gay person. I've come across atleast two people who claim they are pansexual, and I noticed it seems to be a trend with young people.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too broad a term. Everyone is pansexual by that definition.

I love my wife for who she is, so I am heterosexual, but pansexual.

A gay man loves his gay husband, he is a homosexual, but pansexual also.

Unless, I'm missing something? But that is what I am getting from your post?

It seems like a new and cool, trendy label, that people aspire to be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    scofield wrote: »
    Too broad a term. Everyone is pansexual by that definition.

I love my wife for who she is, so I am heterosexual, but pansexual.

A gay man loves his gay husband, he is a homosexual, but pansexual also.

Unless, I'm missing something? But that is what I am getting from your post?

It seems like a new and cool, trendy label, that people aspire to be.

You are not pansexual. See this is where you're wrong. If you are pansexual, you'd love REGARDLESS of their gender. So if you were attracted to a man's personality, you'd date him without being called gay because you loved him for him and not for his gender. Would you have done that if that were the case?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see the next Big Brother having a pansexual person. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tas_Has wrote: »
    You are not pansexual. See this is where you're wrong. If you are pansexual, you'd love REGARDLESS of their gender. So if you were attracted to a man's personality, you'd date him without being called gay because you loved him for him and not for his gender. Would you have done that if that were the case?

Still not totally following you, if I was attracted to a mans personality, I'd be attracted to a man, so therefor by defaul homosexual.

But, itsn't the above what you just said bisexual? they like both (greedy imo :P) so I'm guessing thats got a lot to do with attraction to personality, regardless of gender, as they like both males and females, so they're pansexual!
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Pans people, does that make me Pansexual?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about doing unmentionables with Russell Hobbs.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if it's on the rise, but she can definitely Tinker my Bell.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's on the rise, but she can definitely Tinker my Bell.

Looks like the cats beaten you to it. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are stupid threads on the rise?

Yes.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People claiming to be pansexual on the internet is on the rise, but away from the screen, most men are still attracted to women, and most women are still attracted to men.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    scofield wrote: »
    Still not totally following you, if I was attracted to a mans personality, I'd be attracted to a man, so therefor by defaul homosexual.

But, itsn't the above what you just said bisexual? they like both (greedy imo :P) so I'm guessing thats got a lot to do with attraction to personality, regardless of gender, as they like both males and females, so they're pansexual!

They love ANYONE eg, transgender, bisexual, straight, gay you name it. Its not limited to just homosexuals or straights.
    Aneechik wrote: »
    People claiming to be pansexual on the internet is on the rise, but away from the screen, most men are still attracted to women, and most women are still attracted to men.
    This is what I called ignorance at its highest order.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    Are stupid threads on the rise?

Yes.
    What's your percentage contribution?
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »

Er, why is it ignorant? For anyone living in the real world, it's a self-evident truth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They love ANYONE eg, transgender, bisexual, straight, gay you name it. Its not limited to just homosexuals or straights.

But you can still argue loving transgenders is gay or (straight, I guess, maybe?) its still one man and one man/woman who identifies with being a certain gender (whether or not its correct, is a different debate) so therefor it would be either straight or gay.

People just like to over complicate things.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it is not on the rise, because it isn't a real thing.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Cisgendered is something I find confusing.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cisgendered

Aren't all heterosexuals cisgendered? :confused:
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm confused. There are basically only two sexes whether people were born a sex or changed to that sex surgically and you are attracted to one or the other or both. So you are heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual. I know there was the case of the person who was legally recognised as gender non-specific so I guess being attracted to that person may fall under a different heading. I think, to help me be less confused, bisexual will do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it just being bi-sexual? That the gender is not important in attraction but love for the whole package including whatever they keep in their trousers?

Or are you saying they're attracted to munters that give to charity or something?
  • 2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think claiming to be 'pansexual' is just a way of saying "I'm not shallow, honest!".

And/or a desperate bid to seem interesting, of course...
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish people didn't have to identify as anything but this works as well as any other label concerning sexuality, I guess.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still sounds bisexual to me. AFAIK that is about what genders you will cop off with, not what sexualities.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Isn't it just being bi-sexual? That the gender is not important in attraction but love for the whole package including whatever they keep in their trousers?

Or are you saying they're attracted to munters that give to charity or something?

I asked a pansexual person why they did not call themselves bisexual and they explained that they do not accept that there are only two genders (as 'bi' literally means 'two'), but a spectrum of gender that also includes intersex and transgender people etc. One pansexual person I know is intersex so I can understand what they are saying.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Is pansexuality on the rise?

Every time I look in the cupboard there seems to be more and more pans.

Certainly seems like they're breeding faster than they used to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Oh heavens! The kids will come up with anything to appear edgier these days. What's wrong with just calling yourself a puff and be done with it?
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think pansexuality is even a real thing. I hate, hate, hate this modern obsession with sticking a label on everything. I blame social media, it's because teenagers feel the need to sum up their entire personality, gender, sexuality in a soundbite. It's insufferable.
    If I'm honest I think gender plays a huge role in sexual attraction and I don't really see how a "pansexual" is any different to being bisexual.