The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at the playlist there appears to be a lot of "songs" on it, I know it's in the rules but for me this should be TV themes, short, snappy and catchy, not just a bunch of songs that could have been entered in the fantasy contest.

Don't know if anyone else will think along those lines, but could be interesting to see which do better.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I loathe Daphne Egghead.

She's almost certainly a war criminal dressed up as a sweet old granny.
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,194
    Forum Member
    With Going for Gold, it sometimes appears on Challenge - what's amazing is that there were all these people from all around Europe & the most incomprehensible English always belonged to Henry Kelly :p
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    Looking at the playlist there appears to be a lot of "songs" on it, I know it's in the rules but for me this should be TV themes, short, snappy and catchy, not just a bunch of songs that could have been entered in the fantasy contest.

Don't know if anyone else will think along those lines, but could be interesting to see which do better.

I originally picked a wee 30 second jungle but looking at last years contest they were all mainly songs so I changed it. I originally chose this

Jeux sans Frontieres
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqzJMdo7DDs
  • sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    TerryP wrote: »

No. I won't penalise anyone for not breaking the rules.
  • sbrum1984sbrum1984 Posts: 6,466
    Forum Member
    Ramin Djawadi - Main Theme (Game of Thrones) - YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW! I am obsessed with Game of Thrones. Such a brilliant show. It's a beautiful theme tune. Very epic yet very understated. I had to smile (sadly) at how many of those credited actor's characters are dead now, including my favourite!

Love Spit Love - How Soon Is Now (Charmed) - Couldn't stand Charmed itself but what a great song to have as your opening theme. Not as good a version as the original. Not as good even as t.A.T.u's but it's a song that's pretty hard to ruin. "I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does." Great line.

First Steps (BBC 2012 Olympics Coverage) - Bit long, innit. Ah, why couldn't 'our' Olympics last forever. My sister got married the day after the Opening Ceremony so it was a particularly emotional time over this way. Lovely entry.

Yui - Again (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) - The first show that I have no knowledge of but what a great theme tune. Sorting out points is getting ugly already.

Home and Away theme (Home and Away) - Oh, beautiful nostalgia. Back when the theme tune was good! I haven't watched H+A properly in years but it's reassuring to know that Alf, Irene and Marilyn are still knocking about. "I couldn't spend another minute, living my life without you in it" always makes me smile. This also never fails to make me smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzUbA8BY3ts

Star Trek: Voyager theme (Star Trek: Voyager) - Before Red, there was Janeway! I've never been a Trekkie but I do remember watching this on Sunday early evenings. Deserves points for the magnificence of Jeri Ryan and Kate Mulgrew alone. Very elegant.

Regina Spektor - You've Got Time (Orange Is the New Black) - Amazing show. Imagine if Prisoner Cell Block H was good... "Taking steps is easy, standing still is hard" - love that lyric. I'm in such cold turkey after bombing through season 2 way too fast. Who would have thought that Donna from That 70s Show would get so hot? Little bit too invested in Nicky and Morello. Little bit too in love with Suzanne.

Alistair Griffin - Just Drive (Sky Sports F1 theme) - This made zero impression on me the first time around. I like it more than then at least. But like F1, I can appreciate it but it just doesn't get my motor going.

The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya theme (The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya) - Another one I've never heard of. It's cute but losing out in the mini battle of the Asian epics.

The Pierces - Secret (Pretty Little Liars) - I didn't hold out high hopes for this one as it started but the lyrics drew me in . Would have made a great Eurovision entry. Love the lyric "two can keep a secret if one of them is dead". Dark!

Barenaked Ladies - History of Everything (The Big Bang Theory) - I can't stand this show. Especially Sheldon. But judging by the artist, it's an entry that could, one week, do very well.

Ja'net Dubois - Movin' On Up (The Jeffersons) - Got me tapping my feet after I realised The Jeffersons weren't The Jetsons.

Blondie - One Way Or Another (Sugar Rush) - I remember very little about Sugar Rush other than I liked it and that Sugar went on to be a ghost and the other one went on to be in Torchwood. As for Blondie, oh Debbie Harry, you perfect creature, you!

Beautiful People theme (Beautiful People) - Olivia Colman was brilliant in this. I love Jonathan Harvey's stuff. The BBC should have made more.

Dido - Here With Me (Roswell) - *avoids sex toy pun involving singer's name* Ah, Roswell, if I remember correctly, bbc2 used to show this on Thursdays before my most favourite show ever...Buffy! I have memories of Dido's first album being on loads as me and my sister played Bomberman World on PlayStation 1!

Miss Marple theme (Miss Marple) - Not the leading lady detective theme tune I'd have gone for but can't fault a bit of Marple. Especially when it sounds a bit like Blackadder in places.

The Choir of Young Believers - Hollow Talk (The Bridge) - The Bridge is some of the best tv being made by any country. Absolutely entranced by Sofia Helin as Saga Noren - one of my favourite characters from anything, ever. Great, haunting theme that fits the series so brilliantly. When the music kicks in towards the end of an episode is always a hairs up moment. "everything goes back to the beginning"

Sandy McLelland - Going For Gold theme song (Going For Gold - Big nostalgia. Good old Henry Kelly.

Neil Innes - Raggy Dolls (The Raggy Dolls) - Even more nostalgia. A theme tune to live your life by...especially if you happened to hit a few branches as you fell out of the ugly tree. "JUST TO BE WHOEVER YOU ARE IS NO DISGRACE!" Beautiful. (Also, from memory: Princess, Back-to-Front, Hi-Fi, Claude (whose only fault was being French!!), Lucy, Dotty and Sadsack.)

The Littlest Hobo theme (The Littlest Hobo) - Is the dog the Littlest Hobo in question? Because he's not that little. Bonus points for being the best breed ever though. Oh, bonus points for being a great theme tune too!

The Handsome Family - Far From Any Road (True Detective) - I'm more True Blood than Detective but as that's already been used....Great song, hooked me right in. Intrigued as to just how handsome this family are but too lazy to google.

The Professionals theme (The Professionals) - Martin Shaw's hair! That is all. (I kid, decent, punchy tune!)

Casey Jones theme (Casey Jones) - I've never heard of this one before. Looking at the air dates, my Mom was born a month after it started. I wonder if my Nan was a fan.

Dempsey and Makepeace theme (Dempsey and Makepeace) - I was too young to be watching this when it aired (and I've never actually seen an episode) but for as long as I can remember, I've had a thing for Glynis Barber.

Jem and the Holograms theme (Jem and the Holograms) - Now this one annoys me...an 80s cartoon that I have no memory of watching...it's not right, especially with how gay it seems! It'll be a film next year too.

Gladiators theme (Gladiators) - If I had a time machine, would I go back to see Diocletian's Palace in all its glory, find out if it was really Shakespeare what wrote them plays, kill Hitler as a baby, see Billie Holiday perform live, visit the real life Jurassic Park? No, I'd go back to a Saturday evening in the '90s so I can watch Gladiators again. I went to see it being filmed at the NIA on my actual Birthday one year. Life has disappointed me since.

The Chain (BBC F1 theme) - More F1?! Which one is Anne's? This one runs right over the other one.

The Addams Family theme (The Addams Family) - Iconic. Although not enough Christina Ricci for my liking. How stunning was Carolyn Jones? Watching that intro has made me want to watch everything she ever made. Going back to OITNB, Miss Rosa always made me think of Uncle Fester.

Two Fat Ladies theme (Two Fat Ladies) - What a duo. I was especially fond of Clarissa Dickson Wright. Her book Spilling the Beans was a good read. Quirky opening theme, vocally sounds like Fascinating Aida from that Dogging song a while back.

Big Brother theme (Big Brother) - Like BB itself, the theme no longer does anything for me. I don't think I've watched religiously since Nadia won. That "Go Nads" banner will never not make me smile.

Batman: The Animated Series theme (Batman: The Animated Series) - I'm much more of a Marvel boy but that was suitably imposing for the Manbat (which is something completely different!)

Animaniacs theme (Animaniacs) - I wonder why I didn't watch this. It seems like something I'd have liked and I wasn't too old! Suitably maniacal enough.
  • portugalportugal Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early naughties style Estonian folk, well it's not bound to be everyone's cup of tea really is it?

34th
    Neiokõsõ - Tii (Estonia 2004) - 20 points
    portugal
    12 - weedydiamond
    10 -
    8 -
    7 -
    6 -
    5 -
    4 - 21stCenturyBoy
    3 -
    2 - QuartzMan
    1 - Lisa.B, Jaccobabe

Cheers to the 5 of you-especially Weedy. Thought this was a little gem. Flawless hosting Foxy and well done BBG for giving the Portuguese a win! :)
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Game of Thrones - This always gets me in the mood pre-show, especially when I know that sh*ts about to get real! *Spoiler alert* Pretty much everyone in those opening titles are dead now though! :o

Charmed - Much improved once Diva Doherty was given her marching orders. The t.A.T.u. cover of How Soon Is Now is better.

BBC Olympics 2012 - I feel all gooey inside whenever I hear this. All those great memories come rushing back, good old Blighty came good in every way.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Well it's no Babymetal, but it'll do.

Home and Away - Awww, it just reminds me that they don't even show any opening titles any more. Was always interesting to see what they'd do when they revamped them every year or so. A shame it's become the Braxton show now though.

Star Trek: Voyager - Back to my childhood again and being forced to sit through episode after episode, because my former brother-in-laws dad was a Star Trek nut! It was a good theme though.

Orange Is The New Black - Did you know that Captain Janeway in Voyager is Red in OITB. :) This always gets me in the mood too. This show is perfection in every way, sassy badass characters that still make you warm to them (Vee aside). Limp Larry can do one though. Cannot wait for Season 3!

Sky Sports F1 - I'm not going to lie, I'd rather be watching the F1 clips on the opening titles than Alistair.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Slutty cartoons aren't really my thing, but it's a catchy tune.

Pretty Little Liars
    - Well this got weird quickly! She escaped from the bath then to strangle her? It's all on you if I get messed up dreams now!

The Big Bang Theory - Never got this show, Jim Parsons just plays himself although I didn't mind him on his WDYTYA USA episode. Another playlist link - Kaley Cuoco was in Charmed. The budget (or lack of) for this video shows.

The Jeffersons - Bit of old school gospel class. (The style of the theme tune not the show, never watched it).

Sugar Rush - Completely forgot about this underrated show, loved it! Never actually seen the video for this before; slightly disturbed by the plastic clothes, very fetishy and wtf is he trying to do to this woman?! They appear to be embroiled in a fight around the 3 minute mark too!

Beautiful People - They don't look that beautiful to me? Very Glee like happy clappy-ness.

Roswell - The best song this boring cow ever did.

Miss Marple - A nice bit of English class, she was a right old busybody that one.

The Bridge - I really need to watch this after enjoying The Tunnel, although I only watched that because I'm a bit of a fangirl for Clemence Poesy. The song follows the pattern of the programme, building to a cliffhanger at the end of each episode.

Going For Gold - If you never watched this classic, you're missing out! It was like Eurovision in quiz form, they don't make 'em like this any more.

Raggy Dolls - Classic kids telly, kids nowadays are missing out! I'm going to have this stuck in my head now.

The Littlest Hobo - Canada's answer to Lassie. The cutest hobo ever and one of the catchiest themes to boot.

True Detective - Johnny Cash would've appreciated a song like this.

The Professionals - A proper 70s theme.

Casey Jones - B & W, flipping heck what's that when it's at home. This must've been from when telly was first invented. :kitty:

Dempsey and Makepeace - It was only during a pub quiz last year that I learned this was a man & woman partnership. :blush: Although I recognise her now from Emmerdale and EE, oh and Dempsey and Makepeace are married according to that description.

Jem and the Holograms - With the wisdom of adult hindsight, clearly "the Holograms" were on hard drugs. Josie and her Pussycats weren't fit to shine Jem's shoes.

Gladiators - Saturday night telly at its finest, back when Ulrika was the Christine Bleakley of the 90s. They don't make shows like this any more!

BBC F1 - A reminder of when F1 was exciting. Don't hear this now I'm over on Sky Sports F1.

The Addams Family - I loved the films and the cartoon. Christina Ricci's, Wednesday is my hero. So much sass. <3 :kitty:

Two Fat Ladies - Is it any wonder they were, I'm pretty sure every recipe involved a full pack or two of butter.

Big Brother - I don't watch any of that TOWIE trash, but this trashy guilty pleasure suits me fine. One of the most recognisable themes on telly.

Batman: The Animated Series - Didn't fancy chancing your arm with the old Batman theme from the Adam West live action series?

Animaniacs - They were maniacs alright, clearly had major ADHD issues! Stick your Spongebob, this was proper telly.

Damn fine list. Now I want to travel back in time and watch CBBC, CITV, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network. :(
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before any votes have come in, I have a prediction for the winner. We'll see how that turns out next week. ;)

Thanks for the reviews guys! :D
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sbrum1984 wrote: »
    No. I won't penalise anyone for not breaking the rules.

Oh, I'm not saying I will penalise people and I know its not against the rules.

Just saying I would have preferred more as on TV themes and less proper songs but I guess a lot of the TV themes nowadays are proper songs too so its fair enough.

Anyway like I said it will be interesting to see what does best looking at the top 2 last time round neither were songs so maybe it will be the same again this time.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And things weren't so 'yummi' for our Nordic friend Jacco either.

36th
    Rita - Shara Barkhovot (Israel 1990) - 14 points
    Jaccobabe
    12 -
    10 -
    8 -
    7 -
    6 - BBAnne
    5 - thms
    4 -
    3 - portugal
    2 -
    1 -

OMG.
    This is an amazing entry.

AT least three people with good taste here :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's thimsy! No doubt the bitchiest and most outrageous member to ever grace the forum.

28th
    Nucha - Há Sempre Alguém - (Portugal 1990) - 30 points
    thms
    12 -
    10 - Jaccobabe
    8 - big bro geek
    7 - portugal
    6 -
    5 -
    4 - spindiddly
    3 -
    2 -
    1 - NancyS
    Love this!
    Portugal had amazing entries every year from 89-94.

OK, maybe not amaizng but some really really goos ones!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of Rita Guerra, didn't her brother die literally before she walked on stage or something equally as tragic? Which makes her undeserved 19th place (or whatever it was) equally horrific and callous.

I think he died on WED same week.

:(
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show whose theme I chose has a connecrion to Eurovision. Won't give it away but wonder if you can spot it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mikay wrote: »
    The show whose theme I chose has a connecrion to Eurovision. Won't give it away but wonder if you can spot it.

Going for Gold?
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beautiful People had a eurovision episode with Dana international
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Ulrika presented Gladiators and Eurovision?
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Maybe Tomorrow' was the song used for the theme tune of The Littlest Hobo which was covered by Scooch.

EDIT: Oooh you said the show? I felt all clever there for a second. :p
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anybody watching this Jigs and Wigs show on BBC4 by any chance? They're dancing to Only Love Survives.

Tenuous ESC connection... :D
  • Yugimuto1Yugimuto1 Posts: 5,047
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    Is anybody watching this Jigs and Wigs show on BBC4 by any chance? They're dancing to Only Love Survives.

Tenuous ESC connection... :D
    I said this here a few months ago when it was on RTÉ!
  • AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Elbow and the BBC Olympic theme... good memories.

The 17 minute music during the Pandemonium section, "And I Will Kiss" is simply brilliant.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phill's Review

Game of Thrones having never seen GOT this is not as dramatic as I thought it would be
    Charmed Meh
    BBC 2012 Olympic Coverage I can't be expected to sit through this crap for 6 minutes
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Never heard of this show but this is quite decent
    Home and Away Love the theme to Home and Away so much better than the neighbours one, though I stopped watching a few years back because of the Braxton love in and the Poor treatment of the older cast.
    Star Trek: Voyager This is a bit boring
    Orange is the New Black As a above
    Sky Sports F1 theme Was OK
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya What kind of a name for a TV show is that
    Pretty Little Liars Depressing
    The Big Bang Theory Now I know why the cut the song so early on the opening
    The Jeffersons Love a theme tune that describes the plot setting , this is great.
    Sugar Rush Loved Sugar Rush it was a great show sad they never made a 3rd series. This video is cheap and nasty though but does the job.
    Beautiful People Great series every episode was good the cast was spot on another show gone to soon, good song too.
    Roswell Never seen the show but if this was the title than I think its best avoided.
    Miss Marple Bit too old fashioned
    The Bridge
    No more Martin :(
    Love this theme tune its so haunting and both series so far have been brilliant
    Going for Gold This was fun, the EBU should bring this back
    The Raggy Dolls Another fun entry
    The Littlest Hobo The dog everyone wants :(
    True Detective Not a fan of this
    The Professionals Was ok
    Casey Jones Oh wow they don't make them like this any more
    Dempsey and Makepeace Very 80's
    Jem and the Holograms Never heard of this show
    Gladiators It wasn't Saturday night in the 90's unless this was on great theme tune
    BBC F1 theme Which one is Annes?
    The Addams Family Another title that describes the premise of the show
    Two Fat Ladies That was random but fun
    Big Brother I remember when they played this in to the house on the first series and they hadn't a clue what it was, those where the days.
    Batman: The Animated Series Not too my liking
    Animaniacs loved this brought back memories
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The man between 30 and 33 seconds in the going for gold video:D

And Pia the Swedish girl is hot!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ANyone else going to the eurovisioon cruise in seoptember?
  • weedydiamondweedydiamond Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time for an update as some volunteers have come forward.

Diamond Diary 30/06/14
    BBAnne - 30 March – Best of the 2014 NF Rejects - Done
    phill363 – w/c 16 June – Fantasy – Heat 1 – Done
    NightFox_Dancer w/c 23 June – Eurovision - Best Underrated Entry - done

Pandora - w/c 30 June – TV Themes part 2 – Ongoing

brb - w/c 07 July – Fantasy – Heat 2
    big bro geek - w/c 14 July – something Eurovisionary
    TerryP - w/c 21 July – possibly Best song sung by a non-singer
    w/c 28 July – Fantasy – Heat 3 - host needed
    Cuishla - w/c 04 Aug – possibly 20th Century NF Rejects
    w/c 11 Aug – to be decided
    nick1990 - w/c 18 Aug – Fantasy – Heat 4

Volunteers to host
    TerryP – something Eurovisionary, in the autumn
    Avb – possible Best of 1990s Now CDs/Albums
    21CB – Best Song destroyed at Eurovision
    brb – possible Best Song from a Musical part 2
    Weedy hopes to run Best Gimmick Part 2 in August/September

Possible Comps suggested recently
    Most Boring entry (nunaney)
    Cutest entry (nunaney), slight problem there for me as there won’t be many girls to pick from)
    Worst Song in top 5 – (spindiddly)
    Plus Queen Annes usual list…
    2 best of NF rejects (BBAnne)
    Best non ESC song by an ESC artist – part ? (BBAnne)
    Best cover of a Eurovision song part 2 (BBAnne)
    Best remix of a Eurovision song (BBAnne)
    Best non NF song by an NF artist (BBAnne)
    Best choreography (BBAnne)
    Best ballad (BBAnne)
    Best Host Entry ( big bro geek, chickens, 21CB)

You could also revive one of the comps from 2010 or 2011 as we have lots of different forum members now.

Previous suggestions:
    - Best Instrumental (will 2011 host Drew Peacock run another?) – also requested by alwaysaNigel247
    - Worst Song Ever part 4
    - Best Eurovision Vocal performance - stanld03
    - Best Eurovision non winning country – Katsuya, weedy
    - Best ESC song over 100 points - cherubmattd
    - ESC Best dressed - cherubmattd
    - ESC Best song from an island nation (Iceland, Malta, Cyprus, possibly UK and Ireland
    - ESC Best song in French
    - ESC Best song in (enter Language here)
    - Best ESC Song with a story - BBAnne
    - Best song that was Number one on Eurovision weekend.
    - Best Junior Eurovision Song (big bro geek )
    - Best reality TV song (Saturn)

Comps done: http://dsfantasyesc.wikia.com/wiki/DS_Fantasy_ESC_Wiki
    A host may ban entries that have won a previous Eurovision competition
    If you enter a song but don’t vote you will be penalised one third of your score.

Fantasy - 8 rounds plus Andra Chansen, so approx. 1 every three weeks.
    The rules for the contest are as usual you can enter any song as long as its not been used before or been in ESC or an NF, please consult the wiki for list of songs already taken from 2010-2013
    Number of qualifiers based on entries, 1-30 = 8 Q, 31-40 = 10 Q, 41+ = 12 Qualifiers.
    In the semi-finals a non-voters song will be penalised by 13 points. (1 more than the maximum you would have given someone else)
This discussion has been closed.