Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P2)

Comments

• Options
    BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing to do with independence mate, no matter how you spin it.

Its anti Scottish and pretty vile. There has been lots of accusations on this very thread of anti Englishness in this referendum and in this thread yet when asked to provide proof there is none.
  • Options
    anndra_wanndra_w Posts: 6,557
    Forum Member
    I just find it strange that you've said many times here you wouldn't want to live in a country where policies might change to something worse but then tell us that your going to live somewhere that has very similar policies and are quite willing to pay taxes there etc.

2 years ain't a holiday after all and if your willing to work in a country whose social policies are in most ways worse than the current UK, then I get the impression that social inequality is far les important to you than independence.

If I was so committed to social injustice as you profess to be, I wouldn't be paying into a states coffers that stops benefits for 13 weeks if someone refuses a job.

I'm sure the snowboarding will be fun though.

This is stupid Black Sheep. It's a waste of energy and it really made me consider blocking you which despite our many arguments I've never done. However I've had enough of wasting time and energy on here so it's a goodbye from me. I'm out of here. :)
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its anti Scottish and pretty vile. There has been lots of accusations on this very thread of anti Englishness in this referendum and in this thread yet when asked to provide proof there is none.

I don't disagree but it's still nothing to do with independence any more than anti German tweets are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    This is stupid Black Sheep. It's a waste of energy and it really made me consider blocking you which despite our many arguments I've never done. However I've had enough of wasting time and energy on here so it's a goodbye from me. I'm out of here. :)

Yes, it has gotten a wee bit back and forth and so I agree it has become unnecessary and unproductive.

Please don't leave the thread though as you are about the only sensible Yes voter left here after all the idiots got banned.
  • Options
    AidyAidy Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it has gotten a wee bit back and forth and so I agree it has become unnecessary and unproductive.

Please don't leave the thread though as you are about the only sensible Yes voter left here after all the idiots got banned.

Yes posters banned from this thread? Surely not - I found them to all to be such lovely people as well, willing to engage in debate!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't disagree but it's still nothing to do with independence any more than anti German tweets are.

Abuse like this seems only to be newsworthy when the media can link it to Scottish independence or directly to Alex Salmond. During Wimbledon fortnight this should be news, it most definitely would be headline news if it had been an English tennis player receiving the abuse from Scots.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2014/07/03/the-argument-over-scottish-indyref-polling-methodologies-survation-puts-its-case/

"The debate over Scottish Indyref polling methodologies: Survation puts its case

By Patrick Briône Director of Research, Survation

This week Peter Kellner, President of YouGov, published an article both on YouGov’s website and in The Times newspaper, with his views on why opinion polls in Scotland by different polling companies have produced consistently divergent results on the question of the Scottish independence referendum. His argument was that YouGov’s polling in Scotland was superior to that of Survation (and other polling companies) due to other companies weighting results to 2011 vote, which he claimed was inaccurate due to an excess of core SNP voters in all our raw data and a lack of those floating voters who supported Labour in 2010 but the SNP in 2011 (and are hence more likely to be voting “No” in the referendum)."

continues
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Almost 4th July 2014.. Happy Separation Day, USA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thms wrote: »

How many were invited?

Is this the same Craig Murray who quoted 20,000 at Bannockburn live on the Saturday despite it being 20,000 over the weekend (10,000 per day). I dont think the guy has any credibility left after that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aidy wrote: »
    How many were invited?

Is this the same Craig Murray who quoted 20,000 at Bannockburn live on the Saturday despite it being 20,000 over the weekend (10,000 per day). I dont think the guy has any credibility left after that.

Well, only a hundred or so turned up at the BBC last week and they tried to make it look like thousands.

They never believe a Poll unless it comes out exactly in their favour.

They never link to neutral information.

In all honesty, what will these people do all day after the referendum given that a NO vote is the most likely option?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/torcuil-crichton-carrier-launch-puts-3801573

I'm thinking about heading down to Rosyth today to watch the launch. Will be something we won't see too often again in the future and the F35 should be putting in an appearance too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

gotta love the below the line comments that are mostly suggesting this was just faked by BT to make the other side look bad ...

altho expecting similar on here tbh
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    gotta love the below the line comments that are mostly suggesting this was just faked by BT to make the other side look bad ...

altho expecting similar on here tbh

I never read the comments, just the article.

Maybe its the same people there that post here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, only a hundred or so turned up at the BBC last week and they tried to make it look like thousands.

How many?

http://youtu.be/jpPceRx1dA4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Police Scotland said maximum of 350, newsnet said 2,000 so same question back to you.

How many?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He attempts to compare a rallying cry from the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, to a protest organized by an ordinary member of the public, and even that back fires. The upshot being Joe Blogs from down the street can generate more interest in the independence referendum than the Prime Minister. This grassroots movement is what will carry the day for independence.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is a vast difference between some keyboard warriors using a few rude words on twitter and a threat to blow up a building! I hope the Yes voters distance themselves from people like this as much as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He attempts to compare a rallying cry from the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, to a protest organized by an ordinary member of the public, and even that back fires. The upshot being Joe Blogs from down the street can generate more interest in the independence referendum than the Prime Minister. This grassroots movement is what will carry the day for independence.

BBC protest was open to anyone.

David Cameron's would have been by invite...so how many were invited?
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC protest was open to anyone.

David Cameron's would have been by invite...so how many were invited?

The hilarious thing is that the Nats are claiming 2000 people at the BBC protest and surprisingly also 2000 at the Armed Forces day.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/06/bbc-bias-the-people-have-noticed/
    I had a person keeping a rough head count. While it is difficult to be accurate at an open event like this, there was a core of around 1,600, an additional estimated 5-600 came and went over the two hour period. The BBC reported the event and stated there was ‘several hundred’ protesters and denied any bias coverage of the referendum debate

And they complain about bias - Its laughable :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    The hilarious thing is that the Nats are claiming 2000 people at the BBC protest and surprisingly also 2000 at the Armed Forces day.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2014/06/bbc-bias-the-people-have-noticed/

And they complain about bias - Its laughable :D

Classic case of inflate one, deflate the other to emphasize the point.

The irony is they moan about a biased media then quote their own biased sources.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THMS is simply a SNP drone, churning out endless links to endless biased sites without commentary or opinion.

As for the Murray thing, it's nothing at all to do with independence and everything to do with simple minded bigotry. THMS knows this but if he can link anything at all to independence then he will.

It is actually. It shows the undercurrent of opinion about Scots from the English.

Do Scots really want to share a country with people that so obviously despise them?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    It is actually. It shows the undercurrent of opinion about Scots from the English.

Do Scots really want to share a country with people that so obviously despise them?

you really think that a few idiots on twitter represent a whole country ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »

How many people made comments? Whats this compared to the population of England and how does that justify your point?
This discussion has been closed.