Comments

• pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i enjoyed it i couldnt stop laughing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T'is the subject of my latest Letter to Television - http://letterstotelevision.wordpress.com/2011/06/12/dear-in-with-the-flynns/ - it's introduced a new form of TV watching - feel the fear and do it anyway extreme TV!

Every bit as terrible as I was expecting it to be.

Excellent article.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Canned laughter?
  • jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus, that is appalling, isn't it?

Warren Clarke, though. Not really an actor you expect to see in such utter dross. A long road travelled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the repeat now; what has the girl 'Caroline' been in before? It's bugging me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flutegirl wrote: »
    Just watching the repeat now; what has the girl 'Caroline' been in before? It's bugging me.

Niky Wardley plays caroline and she has been in a few things: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1143038/
  • Tony KingTony King Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think it was ok - will definitely be watching it again tomorrow.

I must just have a juvenile or less advanced sense of humor than some as the bit where there was a flashback to what really happened with one of the sons and the bully - I was crying with laughter :o
  • Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Grounded for Life, and I like Will Mellor, so I had hoped this would be fairly good.
    It wasn't. I only managed 10 minutes, the studio audience sounded like canned laughter and I just couldn't see any redeeming features.
    Still better than Life of Riley though!
  • Tony KingTony King Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was fairly ok again.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    This isn’t actually a re-make thought is it? Just a copy.

On a separate note, how has Will Mellor get so many new shows. White Van Man has just been on BBC Three. In with the Flynns has just started on BBC One. And im sure there’s another, Meet the Doyles, coming up soon too!

I hate to reply to myself but…

Ok, so last nights episodes was another direct copy of an episode of Grounded for Life so I guess this officially is a remake (right down to the dar throwing food at the car). Weird how that doesn’t get mentioned in the credits or anything, something like ‘based on the tv series…’ etc

Also I’ve found out that ‘Meet the Doyles’ is ‘In with the Flynns’, it had its name changed whilst in production.
  • Mrs de WinterMrs de Winter Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I hate to reply to myself but…

Ok, so last nights episodes was another direct copy of an episode of Grounded for Life so I guess this officially is a remake (right down to the dar throwing food at the car). Weird how that doesn’t get mentioned in the credits or anything, something like ‘based on the tv series…’ etc

Also I’ve found out that ‘Meet the Doyles’ is ‘In with the Flynns’, it had its name changed whilst in production.

I used to quite enjoy watching Grounded for Life, and completely didn't spot that In With The Flynns was a rubbish remake of it until I read your post!

Now I'm thinking about all the characters and going 'oh yes, of course, the nuns / hot mum /whoever else' :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Meldrewman wrote: »
    We thought we'd give this a try after enjoying 'Whit Van Man' but the canned laughter was truly awful and we turned off after a few minutes.

Wondered whether we'd missed out because of this - but the comments here have allayed my fears - doesn't look as if we've missed much.

BBC will insist on trying to repeat the 'My Family' formula with little success. Given the awful 'Life of Riley' and now this they should perhaps give up!

Edit: I've just read that it was a studio audience. If that was so their responses must have been replaced by canned laughter - because there's no way that was genuine

My OH and I went to see the first three episodes screened (for free) so they could record the audience reaction. I haven't watched any of the aired episodes as I wasn't much of a fan the first time round but I imagine if the laughter is sounding really fake it must be enhanced cos there wasn't any proper belly laughing going on..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I used to quite enjoy watching Grounded for Life, and completely didn't spot that In With The Flynns was a rubbish remake of it until I read your post!

Now I'm thinking about all the characters and going 'oh yes, of course, the nuns / hot mum /whoever else' :D

Oh yeah, and when we went to watch the screening it was intorduced as "Grounded for Life" so I imagine it is a take on this.
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Its not canned laughter, it was filmed in front of a studio audience.

Are you sure? To me it looks like a show that not only wasn't shot in front of an audience, but wasn't meant to have a laugh track in the first place. Watching the show, it both looks and feels like your typical laugh track-free sitcom, but someone somewhere decided to tack a laugh track on at the last minute. So the whole show looks and feels completely confused before you even get down to the issue of the acting and the scripts.
  • rubberduck3y6rubberduck3y6 Posts: 18,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life of Riley actually made me laugh, In With the Flynns doesn't. I don't know what that says about my sense of humour.
  • systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    In With The Flynns is made by Cayrn Mandabach Productions.

Caryn Mandabach is well known in US TV circleas as the Executive Producer of such shows as Nurse Jackie, That 70's Show, 3rd Rock From The Sun and ........

Grounded For Life :eek:

Presumably In With The Flynns has come about as part of this deal
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/04_april/07/mandabach.shtml

Although why it took 6 years is anyone's guess.
  • SoniccreamSoniccream Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know the guy who plays mikey (the youngest son)
  • Sparklyblue171Sparklyblue171 Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it today, I liked it.
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually enjoyed it this week, so much better than the last 2 and a hell of a lot better than the Life of Riley.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    I thought tonights episode was really good. I'm prepared now to give it a chance and let it find its feet.

I hope it does well, we are missing decent sitcoms on the BBC since the end of Gavin and Stacey. Only Rev really stands up and I don't think that's back for a while yet.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong to say i'm quite enjoying this series :o
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope it does well, we are missing decent sitcoms on the BBC since the end of Gavin and Stacey. Only Rev really stands up and I don't think that's back for a while yet.

Both of which weren't ruined by audience laughter.
  • PorkchopExpressPorkchopExpress Posts: 5,534
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Both of which weren't ruined by audience laughter.

Yep. The canned laughter just isn't neccessary in this.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    I liked it this week. Maybe i'll go back and watch the episodes i missed. Liked the running gag with the toy gun, keep taking it back to the shop. Vasectomies are always good for a laugh too!
    Maybe a bit much for family viewing, i dont know....
  • Kat's StilettosKat's Stilettos Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I believe that this was such a rip off of the My Wife and Kids final. Michael didn't get his vasectomy and pretended he had etc etc
    Not very original, but some good gags in it though