Was EastEnders Twitney destined to be a fail with viewers?

Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
Tyler and Whitney as a potential couple during the love triangle storyline from July 2011 to February 2012 and them subsequently as an onscreen couple have proved to be very unpopular-a damp squib.I am sure they have some fans as a couple but they seem to be in a minority.

Was it inevitable and predictable that theyd fail to set the screen alight?Why are they so unpopular or disenaging to viewers?I feel quite sure TPTB thought they would be huge.How did they get it so wrong?

Is it because the way they got together treading ocver popular niceguy Fatboy?Is it a lack of chemistry between the characters and the actors?Is it that their storyarc is dull?Poor acting?

Twitney-Epic fail-why?

Was EastEnders Twitney destined to be a fail with viewers? 76 votes

Yes
82% 63 votes
No
11% 9 votes
Unsure
5% 4 votes

Comments

• Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poll due to follow soon hopefully.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whitney's just unlikable and Tyler's a very POOR character, they were never gonna work.:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    whitney's just unlikable and Tyler's a very POOR character, they were never gonna work.:sleep:

You think they never really gave Tyler a thought through personality on paper?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Would you say Whitney has always been unlikeable or became unlikeable through the love triangle storyline in particular?
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think they never really gave Tyler a thought through personality on paper?

I don't think they gave him any thought what so ever.
    Would you say Whitney has always been unlikeable or became unlikeable through the love triangle storyline in particular?

she was never likable but the love triangle with Tyler and Fats didn't help.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member

Are they both going out of EE?
    I hope so. Tyler isn't quite as bad as Whitney. I cannot stand her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Agreed.

You think they will be split up in a lowkey fashion?I dont think I could bear the writers making a big drama out of their split.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Whitney during the whole Tony/Rob SL, but then she started becoming so selfish and played the victim. She treated her good BF like crap and pairing her up with Tyler did her no favours, I think the character run its course. I'd say they are both unpopular.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think they will be split up in a lowkey fashion?I dont think I could bear the writers making a big drama out of their split.

Same. I would give them off screen exit, they both go on holiday then two weeks later Carol says 'Oh, Whitney and Tyler have decided to stay in Spain forever to start a new life' then they are never mentioned again.
  • DuchessKittyDuchessKitty Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney just isn't interesting to me. Her storylines are boring and she just seems to be a background character now!
  • MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    I'm shocked Tyler is still in the show, I seriously don't expect him to be in EE by this time next year.

I think Whitney might stick around with the return of Bianca and Carol soon. I just think them as a couple is very boring!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Whitney during the whole Tony/Rob SL, but then she started becoming so selfish and played the victim. She treated her good BF like crap and pairing her up with Tyler did her no favours, I think the character run its course. I'd say they are both unpopular.

Tend to agree with this.I think Tyler on paper could have been popular but they tried to force the viewers to like him and Anthony and it was counterproductive.I dont see the chemistry with this couple yet its so clear TPTB wanted us to root for them to get together.What blinkers they must have been wearing.

I hope the poll isnt too much longer?Please.
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    For whatever reasons, neither of them are characters that you either care about or hate - and apathy is no good in a soap character. Nor is either of them especially great-looking
    (characters might be forgiven for being 'meh' if they're at least attractive)

The actress who plays Whitney is a pretty girl (amazing eyes) but the way they've styled her is horrible - she's so chavvy looking.

I couldn't care less about them as a couple and glaze over when they're on.

However, this burgeoning storyline between cousins Joey and Lauren has real potential, if the writers don't muck it up. Both of these characters have more depth to them, the chemistry between them seems better, and they are arguably better looking (I'm a straight female and even I think Lauren is gorgeous looking).

It's like the writers want to recapture that 'Shannis' vibe that had so many of us on tenterhooks back in the day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    For whatever reasons, neither of them are characters that you either care about or hate - and apathy is no good in a soap character. Nor is either of them especially great-looking
    (characters might be forgiven for being 'meh' if they're at least attractive)

The actress who plays Whitney is a pretty girl (amazing eyes) but the way they've styled her is horrible - she's so chavvy looking.

I couldn't care less about them as a couple and glaze over when they're on.

However, this burgeoning storyline between cousins Joey and Lauren has real potential, if the writers don't muck it up. Both of these characters have more depth to them, the chemistry between them seems better, and they are arguably better looking (I'm a straight female and even I think Lauren is gorgeous looking).

It's like the writers want to recapture that 'Shannis' vibe that had so many of us on tenterhooks back in the day.

Im not sure Shannis can ever be recreated even in vibe form!Hope the poll is coming soon.

I dont think Shona has been as good with her acting since april 2011 when the initial sexually exploitation story ended.Perhaps her hearts not in it anymore?
  • JT EffectJT Effect Posts: 5,177
    Forum Member
    Im not sure Shannis can ever be recreated even in vibe form

I agree - that storyline was fantastic (imo, though I was biased as fancied the pants off Nigel Harman)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JT Effect wrote: »
    Im not sure Shannis can ever be recreated even in vibe form

I agree - that storyline was fantastic (imo, though I was biased as fancied the pants off Nigel Harman)

Fancying doesnt always help-I think the actor Tony Discipline who plays Tyler is very good looking but the love triangle storyline and aftermath was crap.Fatboy being THAT forgiving so so soon?Dont feel a believable tangiable couple vibe off them.Never have.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same. I would give them off screen exit, they both go on holiday then two weeks later Carol says 'Oh, Whitney and Tyler have decided to stay in Spain forever to start a new life' then they are never mentioned again.

Might aswell kill them of off screen, where Whitney cheats again with another man and this time, is brutally murdered by the crazed boyfriend!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think their going to grant my request for a poll.

Out of the 3 characters in the love triangle only Fatboy remains popular or rather is the most popular.Love triangle did zilch to endear Whitney and Tyler as a couple and individually to viewers.TPTB seem to realise this as their scenes as a couple are infrequent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abi and Jay seem much more popular-so the writers do know how to pull it off.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still like Whitney :o .. Please don't run at me with pitchforks...
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    They're fine apart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    They're fine apart.

Who do you think the individual characters Whitney and Tyler interact best with?
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Who do you think the individual characters Whitney and Tyler interact best with?

Whiyney works better with adults or small children IMO. She was great with Janine after Scarlett was born, makes a wonderful big sis, works well with Bianca and I liked her in her job at the nursery. I also think she worked well as Fat's friend before it got all serious.

Woops forgot Tyler. I liked him working and living in the Vic with Alfie.
  • IzzyInTheHouseIzzyInTheHouse Posts: 4,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whitney - Carol & Liam
    Tyler - Michael