Was EastEnders Twitney destined to be a fail with viewers?

13»

Comments

• Green KnickersGreen Knickers Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeki wrote: »
    I think Whitney's beyond salvaging. I've seen many posts that mention Whitney is only good when she's with her family. Soaps base most storylines around the characters' love lives. It doesn't bode well for Whitney that so many viewers are sick to the back teeth of her relationship issues.

I think your spot on here.18 months ago Whitney was so popular but the apparent reveresal of fortune is quite drastic and sharp.Characters popularity can be fluid sometimes but I dont this will be the case with Whitney.Plus how can they plan longterm for Whitney when the actress is on her final warning?
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    The thing is with Whitney she is by far the nicest of the older teen trio. Lucy is a selfish b*tch, Lauren is lazy, rude, stuck up and an alcoholic. Whitney is the only one who seems to care about people and puts herself out to help others. There's no reason to believe that there won't be someone she really does fall in love with one day. Like Fats, we have seen her fall in love too readily and get it wrong each time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    The thing is with Whitney she is by far the nicest of the older teen trio. Lucy is a selfish b*tch, Lauren is lazy, rude, stuck up and an alcoholic. Whitney is the only one who seems to care about people and puts herself out to help others. There's no reason to believe that there won't be someone she really does fall in love with one day. Like Fats, we have seen her fall in love too readily and get it wrong each time.

I actually find Whitney Lauren and Lucy to be unlikeable and badly written.Whitney may in some regards have a better personality than the other 2 but thats not saying much is my feeling.Poppy is the only one whos likeable in an allround sense.
    Shona hasnt really tried with her performances much in the past 15 months and thats another reason i cant see Whitney lasting.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I actually find Whitney Lauren and Lucy to be unlikeable and badly written.Whitney may in some regards have a better personality than the other 2 but thats not saying much is my feeling.Poppy is the only one whos likeable in an allround sense.
    Shona hasnt really tried with her performances much in the past 15 months and thats another reason i cant see Whitney lasting.

I don't count Poppy as a teen, she's in her twenties. I thought Whitney was great supporting Janine after Scarlett was born and she really does care about her younger siblings. When do you ever see Lauren playing with Oscar or even being a sister to Abi.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member

Ah, I agree with this! Poppy, not so much because - although the potential is there - they don't seem to be developing her beyond the rudimentary basics. She is a nice girl who is a bit dim, and she's never changed from that. I doubt she ever will change from that. It makes her likeable, but only as a glorified extra.

I also agree with Shona not trying with her performances. She and Jesse Wallace (Kat) are more than capable of delivering great performances, whether they are leads in the story or just back-up characters, but both are suffering under the weight of shit stories that are slowly destroying not only the characters but also the actresses interest in the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    los.kav wrote: »
    Ah, I agree with this! Poppy, not so much because - although the potential is there - they don't seem to be developing her beyond the rudimentary basics. She is a nice girl who is a bit dim, and she's never changed from that. I doubt she ever will change from that. It makes her likeable, but only as a glorified extra.

I also agree with Shona not trying with her performances. She and Jesse Wallace (Kat) are more than capable of delivering great performances, whether they are leads in the story or just back-up characters, but both are suffering under the weight of shit stories that are slowly destroying not only the characters but also the actresses interest in the show.

If you recall about 5 months ago there were rumours that Shona wished to have time out to try her hand at a singing career with the intention of returning to the show and it was quickly denied by the BBC.However the rumour did stem from a quote Shona gave in an interview to a magazine after the soap awards.Perhaps she already is leaving and it hasnt been announced yet?It was all a bit odd.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The verdict seems to be yes by a very huge margin.
  • SelenaSelena Posts: 29,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They just lack chemistry together.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you recall about 5 months ago there were rumours that Shona wished to have time out to try her hand at a singing career with the intention of returning to the show and it was quickly denied by the BBC.However the rumour did stem from a quote Shona gave in an interview to a magazine after the soap awards.Perhaps she already is leaving and it hasnt been announced yet?It was all a bit odd.

If you've seen one of her solo videos you'd definitely describe her as a bit odd, anyway!

She doesn't appear to be the sharpest tool in the box, even off camera.
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muchacho wrote: »
    If you've seen one of her solo videos you'd definitely describe her as a bit odd, anyway!

Forrest Gumps dumber sister
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forrest Gumps dumber sister

Haha. She has got quite a nice attractive smile. When you see her smile, her face totally brightens up.

A pity it only happencs once every 5 episodes!
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    muchacho wrote: »

I don't know about that, but I remember watching one interview she did with the guy who plays Fat Boy, and it was uncomfortable viewing. She looked like she was in pitch-fork purgatory.