Madonna's Greatest Album?

ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
Forum Member
✭✭
Was wizzing through my Madonna collection earlier, I've been a huge fan of hers since about 2000 and have her entire back catalogue. I was wondering what the musical minds of DS considered to be her greatest work, having been inspired to do this poll by another post asking to compare Madonna's "Like A Virgin" to BS's "Hit Me Baby, One More Time".

13 albums, 30 years of music. Pick and discuss! :D

What is Madonna's greatest studio album? 118 votes

Madonna (The First Album) [1983]
2%
Grabid RanniesBlack VelvetCreamPuff 3 votes
Like A Virgin [1984]
0%
Brian1709 1 vote
True Blue [1986]
8%
ramraiderukCherry7Upcasperfan2002@y[Deleted User]Cloudbuster[Deleted User]MissMusiqueThomas007chrisqczummigummi 10 votes
Like A Prayer [1989]
17%
BathshebaTH14[Deleted User]HeavenlyStuart1000maninthequeueGigi4the power kingPele-thefiregoddess[Deleted User]mr mugglesrobertaloud30PaulJoseph22[Deleted User]Hound of Lovegpk[Deleted User]BadKid95Hav_mor91Lewi26 21 votes
Erotica [1992]
6%
kyresaVoodooChicAneechiktynka bell[Deleted User][Deleted User]mialiciousLM 8 votes
Bedtime Stories [1994]
2%
ServalanFashionollie1004 3 votes
Ray Of Light [1998]
34%
DigiPalMiss ListerCombatHamsterstarsailorCAMERA OBSCURA[Deleted User]Misty08Shane54[Deleted User]Mr. E!aclevername[Deleted User]gav016lulu25[Deleted User]TwinklebelleCupidStunt2010rfonzo[Deleted User][Deleted User] 41 votes
Music [2000]
0%
American Life [2003]
2%
glyn9799thats_racist[Deleted User] 3 votes
Confessions On A Dance Floor [2005]
21%
AlbacomMagic Torch[Deleted User]nojunkmailgarthy2008x+y[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]sej17[Deleted User][Deleted User]Nebworth90[Deleted User]AdzPower[Deleted User][Deleted User][Deleted User]GagaKeshaMinajMadonna38 25 votes
Hard Candy [2008]
1%
Zack06mkirilenkofan 2 votes
MDNA [2012]
0%
maddiesdoor 1 vote

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    Ray of Light

I do love Bedtime Stories and Confessions on a Dance Floor as well though.

But even people who aren't Madonna fans enjoy and appreciate Ray of Light.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    Erotica, Ray of Light and Madonna are my personal favourites, everything post Confessions has been crap (Miles Away not included). Like a Prayer is her most overrated album if you ask me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Erotica [1992]
    I thought everyone knew that one - Erotica. :D
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    Like A Prayer followed by True Blue and Confessions
  • imarshimarsh Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    Greatest Hits, as most of her album tracks are dross - strictly a singles artist only
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    'Ray of Light' wins by a landslide :)
  • ollie1004ollie1004 Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedtime Stories [1994]
    imarsh wrote: »
    Greatest Hits, as most of her album tracks are dross - strictly a singles artist only

Don't know how anyone can say that. Some of her album tracks on later albums have been superb. "I Love New York", "Let It Will Be" and "How High" from Confessions. "X-Static Process" and "Easy Ride" from American Life, they're two of my favourite M tracks too. "Impressive Instant" is probably in my top 10 M songs ever!

Agree that earlier stuff like "Love Makes The World Go Round" and "In This Life" didn't exactly set the world alight, but that's an unfair statement to simply state "album tracks are dross", totally not true. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    ollie1004 wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone can say that. Some of her album tracks on later albums have been superb. "I Love New York", "Let It Will Be" and "How High" from Confessions. "X-Static Process" and "Easy Ride" from American Life, they're two of my favourite M tracks too. "Impressive Instant" is probably in my top 10 M songs ever!

Agree that earlier stuff like "Love Makes The World Go Round" and "In This Life" didn't exactly set the world alight, but that's an unfair statement to simply state "album tracks are dross", totally not true. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? I loved Love Makes The World Go Round, Where's The Party and White Heat.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    Are you kidding me? I loved Love Makes The World Go Round, Where's The Party and White Heat.

They are fantastic pop songs. Jimmy Jimmy is the only weak point on the True Blue album. I disagree that she's a singles artist, some of her best songs are album tracks
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna (The First Album) [1983]
    I voted there for her first album from 1983. Like a Virgin and True Blue were great albums. I'm afraid other than Evita from 1996 I can't say that any of the rest appealed to me. I prefered the early days of Madonna. Her 80's stuff.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    Like A Prayer bold, brilliant,and beautiful then for me:

Ray Of Light
    Erotica
    Confessions On A Dancefloor
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erotica [1992]
    imarsh wrote: »

I couldn't disagree more but i respect your opinion. Especially as most of her albums are perhaps some of the most celebrated, acclaimed and influential records to have been done by a female
  • TheWildHeartTheWildHeart Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    Ray of Light
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    I voted for ROL, IMO it's her best lyrically, vocally and musically.

It's second only to True Blue as my all time fave M album.

Apart from ROL I much prefer her 80s music.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    Always Like a Prayer :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    Madonna holds some of the most influential albums of all time in both Pop and Music as a whole...which is why she has the status and title and power she has...

For me my favourite Madonna album, my favourite album EVER and IMO the best album in Pop history comes down to Like A Prayer in so many ways.

It is an album that made her the "Queen Of Pop" and cemented her title as a worldwide icon in music and pop culture....every single continued to be an "event" every song on that album holds a powerful and personal moment for her an something everyone can connect to...the fact that it was one of the first Pop albums to have a very Baroque style of Darkness/light, death/life, family embracing/family feuds, new love/divorce polarising each other across the record....not to mention the blur of genres Dance/Rock/Dance Pop/gospel/Funk/Soul/Psychadelic Rock/House across 11 songs is something to behold....the lyrics....Madonna/Leonard/Bray were and are definitively a Holy Trinity...seriously goosebumps, tears, high energy, motivation, relation....it has it all...a truly dreamscape/absurd/hyperreality experience everyone must feel...

So yeah Like A Prayer.....although Erotica, Ray Of Light, Confessions On A Dance FLoor, American Life, The First Album, Like A Virgin, True Blue, Music....they are SO very up there :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    TH14 wrote: »
    They are fantastic pop songs. Jimmy Jimmy is the only weak point on the True Blue album. I disagree that she's a singles artist, some of her best songs are album tracks

Haha you beat me to it, I too think Jimmy Jimmy is the weak link on TB
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I only own True Blue, Erotica and Confessions on a Dancefloor and out of those three I think Confessions is my personal favourite.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Like a prayer.... Sounds as important today as it did back then!
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    Like a Prayer is her most overrated album if you ask me.
    Agree with this. I think it is a patchy album. The duet with with Prince was a major let-down. Keep It Together and Promise To Try were nothing special either. I loved Express Yourself though.

My vote went to Ray Of Light.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    I have her Immaculate Collection (80's greatest hits album), Ray of Light, GHV2 (90's greatest hits album) and Confessions on a Dance Floor CD's.

I'd ROL is her best along with COADF 2nd.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like A Prayer [1989]
    No place on the list for I'm Breathless:(

:D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    No place on the list for I'm Breathless:(

:D

Is that another one of her albums? Oh and OP you forgot her soundtrack album Who's That Girl, but I don't know if that counts really.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Of Light [1998]
    It has to be the obvious Ray of Light as it gave her a more mature sound to her previous work. She had found a new direction in music.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Confessions On A Dance Floor [2005]
    voted for Confessions, but it's tied with ray of light... beautiful albums :)