Alan Davies rants about Jonathan Creek!

Comments

• Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you do not understand the situation.

Actors, in most cases, are not employees. They are self employed individuals who are contracted to provide a service. Whilst lessor known actors will usually work to the agreed union rates for a particular job, the more well known actors and/or their agents will negotiate a higher fee.

The negotiated higher fee will depend on a number of factors, one of which is the perceived commercial value of the actor in question. If you are a whiny-shit that people dislike, and you fail to pull in the viewers, your perceived commercial value falls.

The minimum union based salaries have risen year on year. He was simply lucky to have been paid much higher than than those rates in the past. Current market conditions do not permit that level of payment, but he is still paid way above the minimum.

Additionally this is not continuous employment and may not even be with the same company. Previous payments have no bearing on current payments.

He is not under any obligation to undertake the role, or accept the current level of payment. He is free to take any other offer of work that comes his way. Obviously, no better offer came!

In order to undertake the role of which he complains: there were negotiations, an offer, and acceptance of many terms, including the financial ones, which he was under no obligation to accept. But accept, he did. That gives him no right to complain, as he was never compelled to work under those conditions.

If he continues to be a whiny ungrateful tit, he suffers the prospect of being RECAST.

Thanks for that information. Hopefully I am able to understand now.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    I think he quite openly suffers with depression ??

But he is a tit.... think he tried to put dogs in room 101 or something because his little spoiled brat could run about the park screaming and waving a stick in dogs' faces without being knocked over/barked at.

Smug twunt

And so he is now the presenter of "Dog Rescuers" and is supposed to be a doggie person. Frankly his presentation is an unconvincing drawl ( compare him to Paul O' Grady who obviously loves both what he is doing and the animals). I really can't see why he was chosen and JC is also an unconvincing drawl. I used to love the creepy plots and the way he slunk low key through his detection. But the new series aargh ...I'm surprised he got paid at all..I'm not sure it qualified as acting. QI used to love his thick boy act .now he relies in being a rude ignoramous whereas as Fry is as ever clever charming and surrounded by second rate panelists ( with the exception lot Sandy Tosvig)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rik Mayall was supposed to be Creek (until his accident) so AD was rather lucky to get it in the first place. AD doesn't seem to have any self-awareness - he just doesn't seem to have noticed how much all this complaining is wrecking his own career (built as it is on him being a likeable bloke). I know plenty of people whose bosses force deadlines on them which means they work ten or twenty extra hours a week at home, many more on the minimum wage and lots, like me, who are self-employed and work all the time. He really shouldn't moan about such things when life is so tough for so many people.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Rik Mayall was supposed to be Creek (until his accident) so AD was rather lucky to get it in the first place. AD doesn't seem to have any self-awareness - he just doesn't seem to have noticed how much all this complaining is wrecking his own career (built as it is on him being a likeable bloke). I know plenty of people whose bosses force deadlines on them which means they work ten or twenty extra hours a week at home, many more on the minimum wage and lots, like me, who are self-employed and work all the time. He really shouldn't moan about such things when life is so tough for so many people.

It's possible he wasn't expecting his comments to get picked up by the national press! He's made many similarly bitter comments in past interviews, and they don't usually get passed on. He's probably regretting saying those things now...
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OH is self employed and works very hard. Alan Davies should stop moaning or he won't be employed again
    on second thoughts--- keep moaning Alan.
  • amelia99amelia99 Posts: 5,626
    Forum Member
    I used to enjoy Jonathan Creek but the recent series and special episodes have not been great. Also I think Creek's place in the quirky detective slot has been well and truly usurped by Sherlock. Better actor, better scripts.

As for Alan Davies he has always come across as a fairly unpleasant person off screen. I've never met the guy myself but but we went to the same University, he was at school with a friend's husband and another good friend worked behind the scenes on a show he did and the feedback from all areas was less than complimentary. I had first hand experience of him being grumpy at the Edinburgh festival. I'm not into autograph collecting myself but was with somebody who is. Anyway Davies was appearing in a show with Bill Bailey who came out afterwards and couldn't have been nicer to the people waiting for autographs. Davies wouldn't come out till everyone had gone.

I don't know if he suffers from depression but he certainly has an enormous lack of self awareness both in his self pity and in his attitude towards his kids. There have been a few stories about him complaining, basically because people wouldn't let them run riot. I particularly remember him being incensed because Qantas aircrew wouldn't let his daughter play in the aircraft toilet!
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    I read on DS a couple of years ago that he quite often pulls the old 'don't you know who I am?' chestnut.

My OH spent the best part of a year on a zero-hour contract on minimum wage, which did not amount to a liveable wage, so I think Mr Davies needs to get his thick head out of his whingey arse and appreciate how lucky he has been because it certainly isn't talent that earned him his millions.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read on DS a couple of years ago that he quite often pulls the old 'don't you know who I am?' chestnut.

My OH spent the best part of a year on a zero-hour contract on minimum wage, which did not amount to a liveable wage, so I think Mr Davies needs to get his thick head out of his whingey arse and appreciate how lucky he has been because it certainly isn't talent that earned him his millions.

Cripes, I'd tell him to leave Chelsea right now if that's the case!
    Forum Member
    Can't get smiley emoticons to work so resorting to old fashioned LOL to that response!

Also agree with Mourinhosmissus, Davies needs to get a bit of perspective.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I am the only one that thinks it's unreasonable to be paid less for a job that you were doing almost 20 years ago?

If the general financial circumstances aren't as favourable as they were 20 years ago, then no, I don't think it's unreasonable.

As for Alan Davies in general, all I can say is that he must have quite the sycophantic agent if he or she is turning a blind eye to him making comments like these.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Julia Sawalha was going out with him, years ago, didn't it cause a rift in her family- especially with her sister Nadia- because he was depressive and controlling and they didn't like the effect he was having on her?
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,592
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Cripes, I'd tell him to leave Chelsea right now if that's the case!

Ha ha yes, Jose is my bit on the side (ssshhh!)

OH has a decent job now but it doesn't pay anything near the millions AD gets unfortunately, as he would be far more deserving of all those £s, being the hard-working, humble man that he is.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently he has anger bursts and bites people's ears (last paragraph)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2192469/Alan-Davies-The-pain-surfaces-single-day.html
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    When Julia Sawalha was going out with him, years ago, didn't it cause a rift in her family- especially with her sister Nadia- because he was depressive and controlling and they didn't like the effect he was having on her?

Yes Nadia hated him with a passion. Although selling her wedding pictures with Alan in them without his permission didn't help matters. Causing a major family rift. Julia's better off without him anyway. At least her and Nadia have made up now which is good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonathan Creek is one of the easiest acting gigs around. Very few action scenes, generally a large cast and/or a special guest star to spread the screen time, and a sidekick to handle the exposition/again, spread the screen time. Not to mention that they make episodes at a rate that makes 'Sherlock' look like 'Neighbours'.

Pretty difficult to rustle up much sympathy for the poor, overworked little lamb.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Misread the title, set me off thinking what's happened to Adam Hart Davis, don't see him on the TV anymore doing bits n bobs for the OU.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Misread the title, set me off thinking what's happened to Adam Hart Davis, don't see him on the TV anymore doing bits n bobs for the OU.
    He had some excellent and interesting shows. I wonder if he's still on his bike.
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't know that Rik Mayall had been the intended Creek. He would have been great.

I have always liked the show, even the later ones (which were very poor in comparison with the earlier series,, but still good in comparison with most of the other stuff on TV), but that is despite Alan Davies, certainly not because of him. I think he has always been the weakest iink in the show. His acting skills are not a patch on those of any of his side kicks. The strength of the show has always been the stories/plots/contrived situationns/jokes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know that Rik Mayall had been the intended Creek. He would have been great.

I have always liked the show, even the later ones (which were very poor in comparison with the earlier series,, but still good in comparison with most of the other stuff on TV), but that is despite Alan Davies, certainly not because of him. I think he has always been the weakest iink in the show. His acting skills are not a patch on those of any of his side kicks. The strength of the show has always been the stories/plots/contrived situationns/jokes.

Rik was a loud, brash character actor whereas Davies plays him quiet, introverted and shy. So would a brash, loud JC have been as popular, a lot of the appeal of the first series was the interaction between Maddie and JC and his reluctance.
    Forum Member
    I thought Alan Davies acting was ok in Jonathan Creek but the story-lines and rapport with the "assistant" have been getting steadily worse with each series. I think the best dynamic was between him and Maddie. It just about worked with Carla but after that it went downhill rapidly and the latest episodes with the wife were awful.
  • pete_dalepete_dale Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Quite right Alan. Why should all the cast, poorly paid crew etc have to work those long hours. ?Not all of them get paid loads, so why flog them.
    I like the ideas of Ricky Jervais, where the crew work reasonable hours and have a laugh doing it.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rik Mayall was supposed to be Creek (until his accident) so AD was rather lucky to get it in the first place.

I doubt it since the show started in 1996 and Mayall's accident wasn't until 1998.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I doubt it since the show started in 1996 and Mayall's accident wasn't until 1998.

1997 it started
  • rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time actors spend the day just sitting around waiting for filming to start. They probably only spend one or two hours actually working. He should get a real job and see what hard work is really like.

Slightly off topic, but John Barrowman's dad made him get summer job shoveling coal in a factory as a teenager :D
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Rik Mayall was also offered the part but was, at the time, busy with stage work (he would later guest-star in a Christmas special of the series).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Creek