PSN sub accounts question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
Forum Member
I have PS+ and want to know if I buy a game online can my 2 sons play it (at the same time) on a sub account on their consoles.

I know they are more expensive but being able to play something like need for speed or COD on 3 consoles for the same price would be a great saving on buying 3 individual games.

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. You can only have on 2 consoles. Used to be 5 but got changed to 2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Hmmm ok, 2 may be ok anyway.
  • steven123steven123 Posts: 3,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered whether it is two of the same console or just two consoles period? E.g. at the moment I have two PS3s (old Phat and a Slim) but hoping to get a PS4 at launch, will I be able to log into my PS4 PSN or will it say I already have two activated consoles so can't activate a further one? Or would it just mean that I would get logged out if I put them on at the same time, which would be ok, just would make sure they weren't playing online at same time.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Is the PSN + content downloaded open to all users on both consoles or just the account that the content was purchased under?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2nd console logs into the initial account that ps plus is on. Starts download then can log out and into whatever the normal account for that ps3 is. You just need to start the download on that account.
    Once its downloaded on either console its playable on any otger accounts on those ps3s
    Forum Member
    Whilst I have plenty of Plus content, I was also thinking of other stuff that I have just purchased from the store. i.e. my 16 year old would like to play COD ghosts online (but i'm not sure if he can on a sub account) at £49.99 on the store rather than buying two physical copies at £80. I guess the only way to test is to try it out first on games I already own.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can yes so long as his age is ok on the sub account.

Google though in case theyve done something weird with that game to prevent it.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    gillyallan wrote: »
    The 2nd console logs into the initial account that ps plus is on. Starts download then can log out and into whatever the normal account for that ps3 is. You just need to start the download on that account.
    Once its downloaded on either console its playable on any otger accounts on those ps3s

Thanks
    Forum Member

Really, that sounds open to piracy? I could got to a friends download all my games to his PS3, he could then use his account to play them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madfish wrote: »
    Really, that sounds open to piracy? I could got to a friends download all my games to his PS3, he could then use his account to play them?

Yes but don't talk about it on any official sony forums though. Just think it used to be 5 shares. Remember if your ps3 breaks you need another activation for your new one. However you can disable them now via the web.

The were a couple of exception games. I think warhawk was one. If you played on another console the other was blocked for 24 hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im shared with my brother. I gave him all the dlc battlefield 3 maps.

Also DO NOT share with randoms. Many do and find the person changes thier password effectively locking them out thier own account.
    Forum Member
    Wow, thanks for that. Just set up a new account on my ps3 and yeah you are right I can play all my ps+ games! as well as other bought ones, Only problem with a sub account is that it would not let me go online due to parental control restrictions ( I could not find any way to change it) and a sub account cannot be set up for someone over 18. Very frustrating setup procedure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont make it a sub account then. Make it a full account on ps3. So long as that original plus account lives on the ps3 then it should all be fine.
    You cant convert a sub account to a master though so would need to create another new one
    Forum Member
    Ok forgetting about online gaming, I have 3 PS3's. My main one with my Master/PSN+ account. I can download all my game content to my sons PS3 (sub account) and he can play them. My other son is having a PS3 for xmas however I will not be able to download to that console with a new sub account as content is limited to two consoles. Annoying really if this is the case.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be annoying but if they allowed us to install on 100 consoles they wouldnt make any money. Technically with our ability to reset online they could limit us to one console total.

When it was 5 consoles a lot of us used to map share dlc packs from cod and I only pay 2 pounds odd each. Probably our fault they cut it to 2 shares.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Yes but don't talk about it on any official sony forums though. Just think it used to be 5 shares. Remember if your ps3 breaks you need another activation for your new one. However you can disable them now via the web.

The were a couple of exception games. I think warhawk was one. If you played on another console the other was blocked for 24 hours.

Which is what happened to mine,but i cant deactivate my old system by PC and i obviously cant deactivate it by the console as it died years back