Options

Should i ask my partner for rent?

marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I rent a house and have done for the last year and i met someone and 10 months down the line we dont live together yet but they stay 5 or 6 nights a week at mine. He lives with his mother as they are terminally ill so cant move in but he works and pays nothing at home (which i was surprised to find out) but its like he lives at mine and pays me nothing. He buys some shopping but its me that is keeping the house going as well as buying food shopping too.
Ive now had a higher water bill turn up and gas bill. Would you expect some contribution to the house now, or do i just look at it as its my place so my bills i have to pay them? My rent is 800 per month and if i didnt have the house then id have to live at my parents and then there would be no relationship. When i brought up moving in together he said he cant yet his mum needs him, but then he lives at mine more! Bit frustrating and dont want money to cause problems.

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think asking for rent is fair as you would be paying that anyway and they have another home but would talk to them about the bills.
  • Options
    marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have another home that they pay nothing for. So they live at mine rent free and parents rent free and my bills have gone up. Im thinking im just going to say my water bill is £60 more and drop a big hint like that
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    How has the 5/6 night thing been going on and how long is it likely to continue for?

If its a long term situation then you are certainly justified in asking for a contribution to household running costs. It could be done on a more informal basis than a % towards the rent. He could pay for all the house shopping for example whilst you take care of rent and bills. You should sit down and have a friendly chat about it and try and come to a solution that you are both happy with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    How has the 5/6 night thing been going on and how long is it likely to continue for?.

So he should ask how long the mother is going to live? Nice.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    So he should ask how long the mother is going to live? Nice.

The fact is if she is not going to last more than a couple of weeks then the situation is going to change dramatically very soon. Or what if she has to move into a hospice and the partner has to find the cash for that? When she does go will he move in permanently? Either way if things are going to change soon its not really worth discussing financial arrangements right now.

If the situation is going to continue indefiniatey, possibly for years then the OP has a right to discuss financial arrangements.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask him to contributed to electricity and water bills.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I wouldn't ask someone else to contribute to the household (other than food they were eating/stuff they were using) if it hadn't been agreed that we were living together. The fact that your rent is £800 a month and your bills have gone up has really got nothing to do with your partner. What would you do if he wasn't there?

Unless you discuss it with the landlord and put your partner on the tenancy, your household costs are your responsibility imho.

That's how I would see it too.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't ask someone else to contribute to the household (other than food they were eating/stuff they were using) if it hadn't been agreed that we were living together. The fact that your rent is £800 a month and your bills have gone up has really got nothing to do with your partner. What would you do if he wasn't there?

Unless you discuss it with the landlord and put your partner on the tenancy, your household costs are your responsibility imho.
    Rent, yes, the OP doesn't really have any grounds to ask for unless their partner is on the tenancy.

But utilities? Of course the OP should ask for a contribution. It is directly because of their partner that the bills have gone up - they're obviously using more electricity for their partner's appliances, and more water so their partner can go to the toilet and shower. :confused:

Yes, I would ask for a contribution. It is down right not fair that your partner expects to live for free.
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Ask him to contributed to electricity and water bills.
    This .
    The rent, no. You'd be paying that anyway .
    I'd show him past gas and water bills alongside the increased ones and ask if he can help you meet the difference which after all is due to his extra usage . If you tackle it nicely and stay calm and not aggressive and he balks at it then he isn't a keeper, but more a user and it doesn't bode well long term to be honest .
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't formerly living together then I wouldn't expect rent, but yes help with utilities would be nice. I know I would offer if I was in the position of the partner.

Depends on the relationship though. If he stays over with you a lot but he also pays for things a lot when you go out, then it might even out. Something you need to sit down and talk about as a couple though.
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    Whenever I lived with a girlfriend in "my flat" - I just asked them to buy all the food.
    The rent would have had to be paid anyway,any electricity/gas etc they used was more than covered by them living rent free and just buying the food etc
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would ask just for however much the bills went up by and explain what they were before compared to now. If they refuse to pay then it might not be worth sticking with them anyway as they are likely to take advantage in the future too.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I'd bring the subject up with him and if he didn't want to contribute to bills (not rent) and food I'd show him the door.
    Many years ago, when I was working and had a mortgage, I had a boyfriend who wangled his way in to staying with me most the week and nearly took over the place. He worked as a carer but he gradually cut his client list down so he did very little all day. His parents fed him during the day and I was feeding him in the evening. He never once offered to help out, so I was basically keeping him.
    We had a row in the end, as I was fed up with him, and I got shot of him. Bloody good riddance too. What a liberty lol.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's far too early to start calculating the extra costs (apart from food), which are probably lower than you think they are anyway.

However, food's different, though even there the cost of two people isn't double the cost of one.

I think I'd cook him a nice meal, bottle of wine, soft music, low lighting, slip into your most fetching frock, and raise the question subtly over dinner.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd just expect to split the food/grocery purchase costs unless your bills have gone up by a large amount. As someone else said, is it that he is using the gas/electric when you're not there? That might make a difference. If you're both generally around at the same time it seems unlikely there would be a massive increase (as you'd probably use the heating/lights at the same time, watch TV together and so on). So that would just leave the water bills which presumably might increase a bit if he's showering every day - or is he using an unreasonable amount of water and taking baths every day and hosing down his car most nights?!

I think it's a bit petty to start breaking down the bills in to personal usage though to be honest (even if you live together, I'd expect things just get roughly divided in some way) but I know some couples that do this.

As others have said, you can't really expect him to pay rent. Though I can understand it's a bit frustrating for you in that he seems to be paying nothing at either house - but just look at it like you still have your freedom and it's still *your* place and your own space. This will change if you move in together so make the most of it. The financial arrangements he has with his mum are just something you have to accept, as plenty of people live with their parents rent-free (not a chance with my parents).

Do you actually want him there 5 days a week or is this part of the problem as well? How did you agree that he'd be staying at yours for the majority of the time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marc822 wrote: »
    I rent a house and have done for the last year and i met someone and 10 months down the line we dont live together yet but they stay 5 or 6 nights a week at mine. He lives with his mother as they are terminally ill so cant move in but he works and pays nothing at home (which i was surprised to find out) but its like he lives at mine and pays me nothing. He buys some shopping but its me that is keeping the house going as well as buying food shopping too.
    Ive now had a higher water bill turn up and gas bill. Would you expect some contribution to the house now, or do i just look at it as its my place so my bills i have to pay them? My rent is 800 per month and if i didnt have the house then id have to live at my parents and then there would be no relationship. When i brought up moving in together he said he cant yet his mum needs him, but then he lives at mine more! Bit frustrating and dont want money to cause problems.
    He's taking the piss and it's really not on , using his mum as an excuse not to move in then virtually moving in .
    He'll have clothing at your gaff and be washing it there no doubt (or more YOU will be doing his laundry) . He is taking advantage of you , definitely . Mark his card now or continue to be a doormat .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's taking the piss and it's really not on , using his mum as an excuse not to move in then virtually moving in .
    He'll have clothing at your gaff and be washing it there no doubt (or more YOU will be doing his laundry) . He is taking advantage of you , definitely . Mark his card now or continue to be a doormat .

Wow! !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow! !!
    Sorry :blush: , it's a pet hate, seeing people take advantage .
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm , lives with mum and doesn't contribute, lives part time at yours and hasn't made the offer, I would be wondering if he is a freeloader or just lacks any clue about household costs.

Maybe reduce the time he spends at yours on the basis that the extra cost is more than you can afford. That way you are not asking him for anything.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't pick up that it was the boyfriend's costs that were making the bills go up. He mentioned water (and my water would be the same if it was just me or if 10 people were here - the rate is set by the water company) and he also mentioned gas. What extra gas is the boyfriend using? Presumably he's not in the flat on his own with the heating up in the middle of the day when the OP is at work?

I would stick with the boyfriend contributing to food/household stuff like the washing powder/loo roll etc but I would deal with the bills while it's my place. Same as if I stayed over at someone else's I wouldn't expect them to present me with the water bill. The OP seems to be factoring in the fact that the boyfriend isn't paying anything at his mum's but that's up to the mum. If he were would you still expect him to pay at the OP's as well?

Of course if they move in together then all bets are off - they start again and make agreed arrangements that work for both of them and their respective salaries.

This.

I presume his terminally ill mum has other things to worry about than a few quid's worth of rent from her son.

If and when they move in together, that is the time to split everything fairly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't pick up that it was the boyfriend's costs that were making the bills go up. He mentioned water (and my water would be the same if it was just me or if 10 people were here - the rate is set by the water company) and he also mentioned gas. What extra gas is the boyfriend using? Presumably he's not in the flat on his own with the heating up in the middle of the day when the OP is at work?

I would stick with the boyfriend contributing to food/household stuff like the washing powder/loo roll etc but I would deal with the bills while it's my place. Same as if I stayed over at someone else's I wouldn't expect them to present me with the water bill. The OP seems to be factoring in the fact that the boyfriend isn't paying anything at his mum's but that's up to the mum. If he were would you still expect him to pay at the OP's as well?

Of course if they move in together then all bets are off - they start again and make agreed arrangements that work for both of them and their respective salaries.
    Best you not stop with me 6 days a week using my gas and water for showering and lord knows what else then .I'd be wafting my increased bills under your nose daily .
    A couple of nights a week I'd overlook , but 6 nights is just not on and is freeloading .
    The guy is getting sex plus extra benefits . Cheeky devil .
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually don't think you should ask for "rent" or anything formal.

However ... if this young man is working and he effectively has two homes to which he can come and go freely with no cost to himself .... well, frankly, he needs words having with him about his freeloading.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    What does this bloke spend the money he earns on?
    Surely he's got some conscience regarding staying with some one six days a week for nothing.
    I hope he treats you if and when you go out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid you wouldn't - you'd have your flat back to yourself. I'm not a walking cashpoint.

Would you be paying half the costs towards the running of my household or is it a case of what's mine is yours and what's yours is also yours?

OP better make sure he doesn't "freeload" when the inheritance kicks in hey? Gosh there's not much give and take with a some people. Life goes in ebbs and flows sometimes one person carries the other a bit more and then it reverses.

None of this would be an issue if the mother was charging rent but as someone else pointed out that's probably not top of her priority list right now and it's really none of the OP's business how the mother deals with her relationship with her son.

That would suit me fine, believe me . Wouldn't be the first time I'd 'evicted' a free loader trying to grab a bill free lodging and I'm not so in love with love as to be a total fool over it .
    Man or woman , makes no difference . I hate users .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Obviously there are different types of people out there but I wouldn't start a relationship expecting to get half (or whatever) of my rent and bills paid. And I certainly wouldn't be wafting my bills under the nose of someone I'd known 10 months and didn't have on my tenancy.

I'm female as well so the male/female aspect doesn't come into it.

Nor would I . But if I was in the OP's position
    been with a partner almost a year , with him stopping over 6 nights a week, I'd expect more living assistance than the occasional bag of groceries and a pat on the head when I gasp in pain at my increased water, gas and electricity bills .
    Yeah different strokes etc .:)