Options

Advice for a new television!

Hey guys,

The living room TV has just blown after 17 years. Was a good 28" Sony one as well.

Anyway, could anyone recommend a replacement TV.

Budget 200 - 500 pounds

Size 28" or bigger.

Had a look at a rear projection one from argos for 499, and was 40 inch, but are these any good??

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent an hour yesterday, wandering around my local Currys. To my surprise, they were actually using a good signal to drive all the TVs, not the usual RF booster!

The rear projectors on show looked very poor, even the £2500 Samsung DLP model. RP seems to be only for those who want a big TV on a limited budget.

Last year's plasma and LCD models also looked less than wonderful. I think that this is due to the low resolution (480 is too low for the UK PAL DVD and broadcast standards).

CRT looked as good as ever.

The real surprise were the latest "HD ready" plasma and LCD models. They actually looked better than CRT in many cases.

With a maximum budget of £500, I'd say buy a CRT TV. How about buying secondhand? There must be loads of people who have "traded up" to plasma, and who are trying to get rid of their CRTs.
    A top-brand 36" CRT costs under £800 now, so £500 should get you a new 32" or secondhand 36", and leave some change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Stay clear of Bush..and rear projection, budget rear projection just aint worth it. Viewing angles are horrendous and expensive to repair. CRT (standard TV screen) is the best you will get until High Def is readily available. Plasma is OK, LCD is not my choice for a TV screen, and again until High Def is standard...CRT is the way to go IMHO

Search the web for a Panasonic,Toshiba or Sharp, you wont go wrong with one of those manufacturers. find a telly you like in either of their ranges then do a search on google using the model number. you should be able to bag yourself a bargain.

I would personally go for Panasonic

For example Panasonic TX28DTX11

28Inch Widescreen TV with 100hz and Freeview Digital Television. Instant access to up to 30 digital television channels and up to 20 radio stations.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/Content/Products/Details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-TX28DTX11&bhcp=1

£362

OR how about...

32 Inch Panasonic TX32DTM1 for £478

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=PAN-TX32DTM1

Hope this info will help you