Why isn't everyone WAPing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
Forum Member
I've just bought my nokia 7110 Wap phone and find that the WAP feature are absolutely brilliant.

Nobody on this forum seems to be talking about it!

I mean you can access your email from it without resorting to a PC + a million other uses. There are so many WAP sites out there and they are ever expanding.

You have to experience WAP to know what I'm talking about. Everything from the weather to news to TV listings can be found on it and on my tariff, I don't even pay for it when using it as part of the inclusive minutes.

Come on write in a discuss it!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one can say I don't talk about WAP! I love it! :)

I've had my 7110e for a few months and after the shock of very expensive phone bills (that are decreasing) I am more than happy about it.

Some people have been very harsh on it, and some still are, but it serves the purpose that I bought it for - checking emails, getting the latest entertainment/headline news.

Yes the mobile networks shouldn't have advertised it as being the Internet on your mobile as it isn't.

I love it and I have found a cool little Hangman game! (http:www.topstudy.com/wap/game/hang/)

What tarrif/network are you on Genie? (going by the name I would imagine BT Cellnet)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'm on Orange everyday 50 actually.

This tariff is great 'cos you can use WAP services free everyday for 50 minutes, even the weekend. After your 50 minutes you pay 5p per minute which is not too bad.

I can even connect it to my computer or PDA and use it as a modem to connect to the web, again 50 minutes free each day for this too. So I get completely free internet access with no call charges using this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Genie:
    This tariff is great 'cos you can use WAP services free everyday for 50 minutes, even the weekend. After your 50 minutes you pay 5p per minute which is not too bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to say that if you use WAP after your 50 minutes don't bother paying Orange 5p a minute join someone like mviva (www.mviva.co.uk) and your WAP calls are only 1p per minute after 7pm! (weekdays)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Thanks. mviva is quite good.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    I loved a bit of WAPing back in the day :D I'm just bumping this for fun, and for a wee trip down memory lane to see how times have changed. Did WAP impress you?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved WAP too. I had a Nokia 3330 which was practically the same as a 3310 but with WAP capabilities. I also had a Genie SIM card which gave you 300 texts and free WAP for topping up £10 a month which was not offered by other networks on pay as you go back then.

Great times. No WiFi, 3G or 4G then.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was reading this on my iPhone 6 and thinking....wth??
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I was reading this on my iPhone 6 and thinking....wth??

How's EDGE?
  • Alex_1Alex_1 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I had the 7110 in fact I still have.... Memo to me... must post a photo of it

Thought it was the bees knees at the time
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I made a WAP site for a Nokia 6210 in uni. Got top marks!

SNAKE!
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a thread bump!

I can remember (vaguely) creating a WAP site for my own website, and wondering why it was so incredibly complicated - with a series of cards and separate pages that reminded me of teletext services.

I was so glad once phones began to display ordinary HTML pages properly, even if in just black and white and mostly, if not only, text.

WAP was a waste of time IMO. The files you had to create were unnecessarily large, and there were so many ways to break them - so they didn't work at all, or more commonly, worked differently on different models.

Come back and ask me again in another 14 years what I think and maybe I'll be more nostalgic and say how wonderful it was!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never got into Wap, I had a Motorola phone on the BT cellnet network as my first Wap phone, i have no idea what year, it have been a few years back.

I just thought it was a bit slow and awkward to use
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    Ah WAP, that brings back memories. Purely black and white text based pages loading in about 30 seconds on a 1 inch screen. And we liked it!!

This has got to be one of the oldest thread bumps ever surely!
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WAP was crap!
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    WAP was crap!

Without WAP, we would not have smart phones and fast mobile internet today.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    James D wrote: »
    I love it and I have found a cool little Hangman game! (http:www.topstudy.com/wap/game/hang/)

Doesn't work :(
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,751
    Administrator
    Please don't bump ancient threads.
This discussion has been closed.