Sorry, I just can't buy that Peggy...

MarakaerMarakaer Posts: 702
Forum Member
✭✭
Would race through with such a massive decision without wanting to see her daughter and Grant one last time.

Yes, she got to see Grant, but it wasn't of her design, it was purely due to Sharon's interference.

Peggy has always been family, family, family and I just out and out cannot believe she would not decide to end her life without at least seeing Sam and Grant one final time. Not even necessarily to say bye and tell them what's happening, but just to get to see them one final time and tell them how much they mean to her or something like that.

It just sits completely at ill with the character, IMO.

Comments

• starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    She wanted go out like a queen, with minimum fuss involved.
  • Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she summed it up best. She wanted to go while she could still remember her own name. As it showed she was already forgetting stuff the cancer was far more advanced than we expected.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I can understand not wanting them all to know about her illness, but she would have wanted to see her family again.

I think it was poor decisions on the behind the scenes staff (not just blaming DTC). They should have had Sam back while Peggy was still alive, and had at least one scene with Phil, Grant, Sam and Peggy all together.
    It also seemed weird that Grant couldn't seem to wait to get away, despite flying over as soon as he could. Surely if you found out your mother was terminally ill, you'd want to stay with her longer.

Obviously I don't know how it worked getting Grant and Sam back, there may have been reasons why Grant couldn't have been there longer, and why Sam couldn't turn up sooner.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    It didn't make sense. She's been living with Grant and Sam for years, now all of a sudden she wants to be with Phil, well not even Phil, she turned up at Ronnie's. I suppose it was the only way they could have her die on the square and set up conflict between the brothers.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Made perfect sense. She didn't want a fuss and knew that her boys would try and change her mind.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was disappointed not to see Sam. Even though I don't like the character, it felt wrong that she wasn't there.
  • Pepsii ColaPepsii Cola Posts: 1,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole point of her coming to Phil was so that she could end it all without them there. She didn't want people to remember her as an ill little old lady. Sam is useless and always has been, she is just a thick character, thats who she is while Grant is all anger talk later, as last night proved. Phil might be a mess but he is the most sensible of the 3 which is why she went to him. I think it makes perfect sense.

Have to say, the scene on the square with her hair down was so tragic. She looked so vulnerable. I'm pleased she put her slap on as that image would have been an upsetting one to end the character on.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I thought we were going to have at least a week of all the mitchells coming together etc and spending time with Peggy etc.

It seems sad that she is one of EE very few real iconic characters ( not many more left really....) and they absolutely wasted this opportunity for a really good departure.
  • misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a lot of chest beating going on in the coming weeks, Ben will be livid that he was not told and therefore didn't spend her last evening with her; Grant will be braying for blood at how Phil could let it happen and Phil will be devastated she went ahead with it and he was not there.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that it from Grant? Will he be back for the funeral?
    Feel gutted he was only in one episode - I love him!
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    It didn't make sense. She's been living with Grant and Sam for years, now all of a sudden she wants to be with Phil, well not even Phil, she turned up at Ronnie's. I suppose it was the only way they could have her die on the square and set up conflict between the brothers.

She was back with Aunt Sal. Makes sense she was using NHS. She knew it was coming to end so wanted to go back to Albert Square. She went to Ronnie as she thought Phil was still drinking and wouldn't be able to cope. He wasn't and he did. She'd made up her mind what she was going to do before going back to Square.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Grants fast exit for now, due to him having for the shows he does for Sky
  • jamauk1jamauk1 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was rushed and could have been played out over a week, whilst I understand her decision to come off the treatment and go down the suicide route, I also think it was selfish that she didn't want anyone else to know she was ill and what she had planned. Seeing as only Ronnie and Phil knew about it, and then later on Shirley, Kathy and Sharon - who went on to tell Grant. Even then from what it showed Sharon only told Grant that he was needed, surely he would have phoned back to ask why rather than just jumping on the next flight over and spending half the day in a taxi. Some honesty about it would have been good.

If I had a relative that was on their way out because of cancer I'd still want to know. Even if it couldn't be cured.

edit; just to make things clearer than I originally put it, whilst I think suicide is a selfish act as it leaves families devastated, I do support assisted suicide in the event of a terminal illness - however the way Peggy handled it by only letting minimal family know I thought was selfish.
  • Majik1Majik1 Posts: 6,968
    Forum Member
    Louise didn't seem to know her gran. so she wouldn't be too upset. I don't understand how she wasn't sick , in pain, screaming after she took the pills. Ok it's all made up. We can believe that Phil hasn't seen his beloved grand daughter or lovely Lola.