Options

Parents on facebook

2»

Comments

• Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think social networking sites like that are all inane drivel really. I am not interested in what quiz someone just did, whether their cat/kid/lifestyle is cute. It's like those nasty 'circular' xmas cards people you haven't seen for years send you.... saying how perfect their life is.

I think the recent courtcase has highlighted it as a paradise for the freaky, dysfunctional and mentally ill. But it always was, most obviously, home to the inane.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one friend who has recently had her second child.We had many daily updates all during the pregnancy,but the thing is, she is still updating her status around 10-12 times a day, letting us know feed times etc etc.
    Now, I may sound really old fashioned here, but what are her 2, very young children doing all day while Mum updates status's, ploughs her fields on farm town and takes quizzes?
    I have noticed that not many people are 'like'ing or commenting now, so maybe all her friends are as fed up (and possibly concerned) as I am.

d3nium likes this.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who constantly posts things like "my children are my world, I will do anything for them" when i know for a fact she neglects them to post on Facebook. Why would she do this, does she need reassurances from distant "friends" that she's a good parent.
  • Options
    Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can never figure out why people put photo's of their children on Facebook etc. Do they not realise that there is tons of perverts out there getting plesure from seeing pictures of children so freely available.
  • Options
    NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can never figure out why people put photo's of their children on Facebook etc. Do they not realise that there is tons of perverts out there getting plesure from seeing pictures of children so freely available.

I think its OK if you do like me, and just customise your settings so not anyone can see the photo's.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But surely said perverts could get the same pleasure from the mothercare catalogue if they were that way inclined? I can't say I have ever seen a picture of a child on facebook that could be considered risqué. In fact the nakedest child I have seen photgraphed on FB was a premature baby in an incubator and (OMGZ) you could see his/her chest!

I think it's fairly safe to say that people who get off on photo's of children aren't visiting FB to get their kicks.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenore wrote: »

I think it's fairly safe to say that people who get off on photo's of children aren't visiting FB to get their kicks.

I think we all saw last week or so that in fact - yes they are. It's where people make contact and go on to get their kicks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d3nium wrote: »
    On facebook i have friends who constantly post pictures of their children, despite them usually being the first to cry "lynch then" when cases like Vanessa George hit the media.

They post constant status updates with crap like "Oh my james is getting so big now" and "my baby is fast asleep, bless her" Who the hell cares?

I'm probably just a bitter sod, but why do they have to share every living moment? Surely things like that should be within the family, not posted to all and sundry. I've even got someone who has set a facebook account up for their 5 yr old son. I mean, wtf?

I'll probably get the "Oh you don't understand because you're not a parent" lecture, but bring it on!

/end of rant

PS: Yes i'm aware you can hide people on there.

The bit in bold is true, sorry. :)

Parents are proud of their kids they love them like nothing else on earth, yeah it's boring but so what, they arent hurting anyone by having a little brag.

I get bored of the amount of ''Ooh I was so drunk last night'' status updates but if thats whats going on in someones life at that time then thats what there going to talk about. It's no big deal, I dont expect any FaceBook status to be that interesting to be honest. Weather their about kids, work, being drunk or whatever their nearly always just someone having a little self indugent brag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a friend of a friend of a friend who has the picture of her 12-week scan as her profile picture.:rolleyes:

Whats so bad about that? Cant a newly expectant mum be giddy and excited about being up the duff?
    I think it's quite swwet. :o

Or do peado's go after scan pictures as well these days? ;)

Seriously, whats the problem?
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It concerns me that some people post pictures of their kids in identifyable school uniform. Some people need lessons on internet safety.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I think we all saw last week or so that in fact - yes they are. It's where people make contact and go on to get their kicks.

I'm sorry, as far as I was aware they went on FB to chat. They then molested children and send the photographs to each other via mobile phone.

There was no indication that they spent any time trawling through the millions of FB albums available 'til they found some naked babies to drool over. I got the impression that the photo's they found arousing were not your general baby in the bath/in the paddling pool/on the beach FB photo but something altogether more revolting.

Personally I'm not going to stop taking pictures of my daughter in her pants because some pervert somewhere may be tickled by it, especially given the number of adverts on television with similar imagery which would be much easier for them to obtain. Hell they can record those and watch them over and over...shall we ban them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have a problem with people posting the odd bit about their child's life. First steps perhaps, or first words.

I just find it incredibly tedious when people give me non-stop updates about their child's feeding habits or w/e. If they're so desperate for people to know about their brats, they should start a blog. Or stick to a parenting facebook group.

Plus, as has been mentioned above, some parents seem to be so keen on letting the world know what great parents they are on facebook, they don't realise their child's nappy needs changing.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're your friends, it's better than following their progress at Farmville. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    The bit in bold is true, sorry. :)

Parents are proud of their kids they love them like nothing else on earth, yeah it's boring but so what, they arent hurting anyone by having a little brag.
    I don't think bit in bold is necessarily true. Before I was a parent I didn't understand this obsession for people shoving every bit of information about their children in your face. Now that I'm a parent myself, I still don't understand it. I find it incredibly tiresome and wish these people would just STFU and reserve a modicum of privacy
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend of a friend of a friend who has the picture of her 12-week scan as her profile picture.:rolleyes:

cant see a problem with that. I have about 100 cartoon characters on my friends list.

If someone is proud of their bump or their children, whats the problem? If it bothers you, then you are obviously not good friends. I have a list where I put all my real friends and family ( all the others are gamers) and I only look at their updates.

2nd bit was not to you Miriams Sister.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    I don't think bit in bold is necessarily true. Before I was a parent I didn't understand this obsession for people shoving every bit of information about their children in your face. Now that I'm a parent myself, I still don't understand it. I find it incredibly tiresome and wish these people would just STFU and reserve a modicum of privacy

It's not just parents who are guilty of it though surely? Some people just have the kind of personality were they want to constantly brag about whatever good is going on in their life. I can see why your iritated by it but I cant see how they are any more iritating than someone who contantly goes on about the latest hang over or something equaly dull.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it bothers me because the people who post this stuff aren't actually my "friends" (know them from school, they added me and I added them back out of politeness/curiosity), and yes every mundane aspect of their child is posted and every picture under the sun. I just think people should be more careful - if you're going to add just anyone to Facebook then you can't know that they're to be trusted. And when/if I become a parent, I might add dribs and drabs of photos/updates, but only with very secure settings applied and at a minimal level.

There's also the matter of consent on the child's part. OK, the parent is their guardian and will make all decisions on their behalf up to a given point, but if I grew up and found out that my entire childhood had been on display to the world I'd be slightly unnerved and creeped out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »
    I post pictures and updates about what my kids have got up to but a lot of my friends are also parents and do the same thing and its a way of updating friends on our childrens progess when we're often tobusy for long phonecalls. also great for sharing photos with friends who are abroad.

I wouldnt set up an account for the kids though and i'm even concerned that my step children at ages 10 and 12 have them.

My entire family lives abroad so I put my kids' pics on Facebook. A great majority of my friends are parents as well, so we look at each others' kids. I quite like it. My husband has the kids as his photo, but I don't.

I wouldn't make a page for the kids though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the key is to set your security settings so only friends can see your page and ensure your ''friends'' are actually friends (or family) and not just random faces you've picked up on line.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I have a friend who constantly posts things like "my children are my world, I will do anything for them" when i know for a fact she neglects them to post on Facebook. Why would she do this, does she need reassurances from distant "friends" that she's a good parent.

This really irks me too!!! I have a few of those on my Facebook. It tends to be the same ones who first thing on a Monday morning post status's saying how they can't wait til Saturday to go out and get pi$$ed. Which seems to be more of a priority than spending the week with the children they adore so much.

I had the misfortune to be in the company of one of those 'adoring parents' who was telling a group of us how her 6 year old daughter had dared to wake her at 10.30am as she wanted some breakfast, only to be told by the 'adoring parent' to F-off you little C... and get your own breakfast.

But obviously, 'her children are her world', according to Facebook. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    neilusneilus Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Parents bang on about how much time their kids take up, and how hard it is being a parent, but they still find time to update statuses and play bloody farmvile! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    neilus wrote: »
    Parents bang on about how much time their kids take up, and how hard it is being a parent, but they still find time to update statuses and play bloody farmvile! :rolleyes:

Exactly!
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    No offence to anyone on here, but the people on my facebook who constantly update their FB about their little ones, actually tend to be the worst parents in reality.

I think the ones who update their statuses about other factors in their life other than their children are normally the best parents, as they are usually the most normal and balanced people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leaby wrote: »
    I think it bothers me because the people who post this stuff aren't actually my "friends" (know them from school, they added me and I added them back out of politeness/curiosity), and yes every mundane aspect of their child is posted and every picture under the sun. I just think people should be more careful - if you're going to add just anyone to Facebook then you can't know that they're to be trusted. And when/if I become a parent, I might add dribs and drabs of photos/updates, but only with very secure settings applied and at a minimal level.

There's also the matter of consent on the child's part. OK, the parent is their guardian and will make all decisions on their behalf up to a given point, but if I grew up and found out that my entire childhood had been on display to the world I'd be slightly unnerved and creeped out.

It was bad enough in the olden days before computers when you'd take boy friend home and out would come the photo albums of baby photos but cos there was no digital cameras there weren't hundreds of them as you had to go and get the films developed. That is bad enough, the thought though that in about 15 years time you'll find that generation getting to know someone and then thinking god I hope they're not checking out any fb entries on me, would actually like to get to know him first as a teenager before he sees all the baby photos and finds out at what age I did my first poo in the potty.

So glad the only ebarrassing photo of me around is of me in the bath holding a big red plastic phone box. But for some reason my dad has it on his slide show on his computer. Stupid bloke I have to turn it off every time i go round there.