Options

Buying a new bed...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Boyfriend is moving into my flat soon and we need to buy a double or kingsize bed!

So I've been looking online and its my understanding that you buy the frame and the mattress separately (arent mattresses expensive!!)

IKEA website also wants you to buy the "wooden slats" separately...no other site seems to mention this...do you always have to buy them separately?

Any recommendations where to buy a reasonably priced double or king size bed?

Comments

• Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argos have a kingsized divan bed with mattress for £184. I'm thinking of buying it myself. It has storage. You can get a better mattress for an extra £10 too.
  • Options
    _radioamerica_radioamerica Posts: 4,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually found one even cheaper now (I'm looking too)

http://www.bedcentral.net/product-Economy-Open-Coil-Divan-Bed-55

double - £99
    Kingsize - £119
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I bought my bed from Argos, £199 frame and mattress. Frame is OK, mattress is a bitch (I have to flip it every three days). It was self-assembly too - took me four hours! I climbed into it after I was done and slept for two hours.
  • Options
    Kittycat73Kittycat73 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about slats, but Dreams has a bedstead for £99.00, £35.00 delivery I think?
    http://www.dreams.co.uk/bedsteads/bedsteads/metal/metal-steads/jessica-bedstead/211-00905/product/

Good luck with the move in together. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    you only have to buy the slats seperately from ikea as thats how you buy beds in europe. otherwise it will be included in all other uk shops if you are buying a frame.

i need a new bed too :-(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get what you pay for in beds. Cheap mattresses will not last long so do you think this relationship will last? ;)
  • Options
    theAREtheARE Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar postition - about to move to a bigger place and we're thinking of getting a new bed for us and putting the one we have now in to the guest bedroom

We've been thinking about this one http://www.poundstretcher.co.uk/furniture/faux-leather-bed.html#

which looks quite nice and seems reasonable priced. There is similar stuff on ebay as well.

And yep matresses are very expensive :(
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    We bought our last bed from the Co-op, it's a Myers and is brilliant, lasting really well so far and we've had it for about 8 years and we're not as lightweight as we were in our early years together :o:D - mind you maybe we're not as active either, LOL!!

They are really reasonably priced esp if you wait for a sale. Ours has an extra thick mattress which is great but is more difficult to get fitted sheets for. They come as a whole i.e. base and mattress, but are the divan style so not so good if you want the wooden frame. Does give you under bed storage though.

One tip if you do buy from the Co-op, we found delivery was free if you are a member of the Co-op. It cost £1 to join for a lifetime!! Don't know if that's still the case. They do brands other than Myers but I can't personally recommend anything else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go for an Ikea one as their beds are European sizes, which means you'll have problems finding mattress protectors, fitted sheets etc that fit the mattress - unless you want to get those from Ikea too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ikea beds aren't 'standard' sizes. The mattresses are the expensive part of the bed anyway, and yes they are expensive. Do you want a divan or a frame bed? A divan can come with extra storage but if you have bedside cabinets then make sure you can open the drawers closest to the top of the bed. If you want under the bed storage then go for a bed frame.

Also, I recommend that you both go into a shop like Dreams and try the mattresses out so that you get an idea of what you would both like and either get that or see if you can source one cheaper. Getting one from Argos on price alone without trying can be a disaster and leave you with back ache.
  • Options
    bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I've been looking online and its my understanding that you buy the frame and the mattress separately
    I've never had to buy mine separately. Any good bed retailer will sell beds and mattress as a whole. Try somewhere like Dreams.
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyfriend is moving into my flat soon and we need to buy a double or kingsize bed!

So I've been looking online and its my understanding that you buy the frame and the mattress separately (arent mattresses expensive!!)

IKEA website also wants you to buy the "wooden slats" separately...no other site seems to mention this...do you always have to buy them separately?

Any recommendations where to buy a reasonably priced double or king size bed?

I would advise that you spend as much as you can possibly afford on a bed. Remember that you spend a third of your life in bed so its worth forking out on a really decent one.

This one here I tested in Dreams the other day and quite literally I'd never experienced comfort like it. It's mattress has a memory foam top which moulds to your body shape - try it, you'll be amazed. Underneath that there are pocket springs which give you support.

I cant personally afford it, but one day I hope to have the cash to be able to.