How to get over this obsession with 'trophies' (/achievements, etc)

2»

Comments

• SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't check achievements until I have played through the game once. Which is about 6 hours play these days.

Or what I find I do lately is, buy the game ignore the achis's play through and sell it on while its value is high and come back to it in two or three years time when its given away free or can be bought for a fiver.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing about trophies for me is I now play all games on the hardest setting. Initially it was to earn all the difficulty trophies together to avoid replaying games multiple times. Now its because I found I was enjoying games a lot more when they were a real challenge.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoy going for trophies but I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed.

I always play through a game once without looking at the trophies, and if I enjoy the game that much I will go for all the trophies I have missed to get the platinum. If I don't enjoy the game then I don't worry about the trophies.
  • davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoy trophy hunting, I don't obsess to the point of ignoring games that have what look like unobtainable platinums, or buy the likes of Hannah Montana just because they're easy.

I'm quite happy to admit defeat and move on from a game that I haven't 100%'d, and buy games like GTA even though I know from the start I'm not willing to put in the effort it requires to get a platinum in it.

In saying that I have 20+ platinums and a total trophy completion rate of ~75%. That's without playing online in plenty of the games I've bought, and never paying for DLC. I like the fact that mopping up the missing trophies adds ~10+ hours to a game after you've completed the main story.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind trophies, if I am enjoying the game, and they seem reasonable to achieve.
    The only time I really went after them was in Timesplitters 2, the kill 40 Elvis impersonators in 1 minute using a brick type stuff.:cool:
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    I have to agree with some of the comments posted here in this thread - collecting all the 'collectibles' in games does actually seem to be a chore!

There's only 1 game, in my entire gaming life that I completed 100% and that was AC2.

About a week ago, I completed Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on my Xbox One (had already played it on the 360 but wanted to try the X1 version - pretty much exactly the same!) and thought it would be fun to now go back and collect all the bits and pieces from all the maps (I even downloaded the official companion app to my iPad 2) but it just takes FOREVER........! :( Especially when more than half of them, you would NEVER find without a map!

I've given up now because it just takes too long and is actually quite boring and frustrating, having to look at the map every second, to find all the bits!!!
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like collectables and enjoy the hunt for them, I just wish all games offered some form of map / tracker you can acquire to help with the final few well hidden collectables. I also wish more games tied unlocks to collectables as it becomes annoying hunting down 100 hidden packages with the only reward been a trophy at the end. Give me some unlockable costumes or weapons or something to make it worth my while.
  • samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    I quite like collectables and enjoy the hunt for them, I just wish all games offered some form of map / tracker you can acquire to help with the final few well hidden collectables. I also wish more games tied unlocks to collectables as it becomes annoying hunting down 100 hidden packages with the only reward been a trophy at the end. Give me some unlockable costumes or weapons or something to make it worth my while.

I enjoy collectibles too. I didn't enjoy the feather hunting in AC2 but once it was done it was done. I enjoy looking for collectibles in the Uncharted games and at least in the first two games they were tied to an unlockable reward. You get to examine the artifact as well which is a good feature in itself.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 32, I couldn't give a damn about trophies in theory, but I confess whenever one pops up that is rare (PS4) I do quite like that feeling.

I'd never go out of way to get every trophy etc though - that's not fun that's a chore. I play the game, I don't play a game to get trophies.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it depends what im playing :)

ive had games in the past like LOST: Via Domus which my dog could 100% it was that easy.

but then theres titles like Hitman Blood money and the Hitman HD Pack where the achievements are challenging (the Slient assassin ones come to mind!) i remember when i 100%'d Blood money i was so chuffed with myself :).

i even got Avatar: Legend of AANG just for the 1000G in 3 minutes :D.

Things like Dark Souls i would love to try and 100% but id loose mY life :D i tend to back off games i know ill get addicted to as im a College going onto University student and i want to focus on that ATM. ive got a long list of games id love to play but my addiction will get the better of me :(
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What i tend to do these days is play the game all the way to the end without worrying about Achievements/trophies. If i have any achievements left over i will just work my way through them. It's more fun that way.

GTA4 can be a real chore and no fun at all though. I personally had no problem with it because me and a group of friends worked together to get all of the online ones. On your own it's no fun at all, but with a group it is a lot better.
  • MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

I liked in Sleeping Dogs going on dates gave you the maps for all the collectables :D