Sluggish browser

deltadelta Posts: 1,179
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Using IE8 and Slim Browser. Both have become sluggish. If I click a link or try to close a tab it takes up to a minute to respond. When I use the options menus for either browser, they respond slowly. I have run C Cleaner and registry cleaners, tried restarting but it still happens. I tried downloading Avant Browser but that does the same. Can anyone point me toward a possible solution please?

Comments

• mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delta wrote: »
    Using IE8 and Slim Browser. Both have become sluggish. If I click a link or try to close a tab it takes up to a minute to respond. When I use the options menus for either browser, they respond slowly. I have run C Cleaner and registry cleaners, tried restarting but it still happens. I tried downloading Avant Browser but that does the same. Can anyone point me toward a possible solution please?

Check to see which addons are loaded, From within IE. Tools -> Manage Addons.

Disable the ones you do not use or need.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    How much free physical system memory do you have?
  • deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    How much free physical system memory do you have?

57% It seems to be browsers that are mainly affected. No virus detected
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Try Firefox much better and faster
  • deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Firefox much better and faster

I uninstalled Slimbrowser and things seem better. I will try Firefox. Thanks everyone who replied!
  • late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Try Google Chrome- its faster than Firefox that's become bloated and slow over the years. Chrome also has addons such as Addblock etc
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    Try Google Chrome- its faster than Firefox that's become bloated and slow over the years. Chrome also has addons such as Addblock etc
    The ads still come up though, possibly feeding you cookies, grabbing your ip and other data at the same time, so it's not a real ad blocker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use google chrome and its very impressive, simple and easy to use, quite speedy too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opera is your answer. Safari is good too.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took me 10 yrs to dump IE to FF. I am happy now.

Apparently the new FF will beat the sox off the others lol.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »

No, somethings else is wrong with his installs, none of the browsers is that slow, let alone drive grinding slow. I have pretty much all of them installed and they all work fine. Even loaded with plugins firefox will work ok. He needs to reinstall the browsers causing trouble removing all directories ...even ones sometimes left behind in the profile directory, that generally solves corrupt browser installs.