Options

Stupidest QUANGO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can anyone trump the British Potato Council a body set up to promote spuds to a public notoriously averse to eating chips? :D

http://www.potato.org.uk/

Comments

• Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    Isn't that funded by the industry, not the taxpayer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    Isn't that funded by the industry, not the taxpayer?

Would that make it a QUAVER as opposed to a QUANGO? ;)
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having looked at it, it doesn't seem to be promoting potatoes. It seems to be a sight for growers, for disseminating infomration.. on topics such as potato diseases, and more efficient farming methods, - can't see the problem myself... they need to information somehow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oddly enough I waded through the list of quangos myself with the vague intention of starting a thread called something like 'The Stupidist Quango'. The problem was that the ones with actual staff all seemed reasonably constructive and sensible and the ones that sounded unnecessary seemed to have a staff of 0. In the end I gave up as the list was not the hotbed of silliness I had hoped.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a public body funded by a compulsory levy on potato growers and buyers. Afaik you don't have to pay it for growing your own.
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at it, it doesn't seem to be promoting potatoes. It seems to be a sight for growers, for disseminating infomration.. on topics such as potato diseases, and more efficient farming methods, - can't see the problem myself... they need to information somehow.

That's the thing about targeting things based on their names. Just because to the ignorant they sound worthless doesn't mean that they are. Most people don't have a clue what these quangos do or why so they're happy to see them scrapped. We've already lost a very good scheme yesterday to help children who have reading difficulties before it damages their education simply because the Tories felt safe in scrapping it as most people don't know anything about it.

It's the people who phone radio phone-ins going on about how they should sack all the Equality Officers that make me laugh. If they're questioned it turns out that they don't know what they do and invariably they're white, male and able-bodied. Just because something isn't aimed at you doesn't make it worthless.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love potatoes.

They're so versatile.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    That's a bloody good quango. Leave it alone!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spacedone wrote: »
    Just because something isn't aimed at you doesn't make it worthless.

Including the humble potato. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the people who phone radio phone-ins going on about how they should sack all the Equality Officers that make me laugh. If they're questioned it turns out that they don't know what they do and invariably they're white, male and able-bodied. Just because something isn't aimed at you doesn't make it worthless.

I agree. A lot of equalities work is 'compliance', ie making sure that employers don't spend their whole lives being ordered to pay out compensation by tribunals. A lot cheaper for a big employer to employ someone with responsiblity for equalitiy than to keep being found in breach of the law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capablanca wrote: »
    That's a bloody good quango. Leave it alone!:p

It might well be but the only way to know that is to ask the growers etc who are forced to pay the compulsory levy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough I waded through the list of quangos myself with the vague intention of starting a thread called something like 'The Stupidist Quango'. The problem was that the ones with actual staff all seemed reasonably constructive and sensible and the ones that sounded unnecessary seemed to have a staff of 0. In the end I gave up as the list was not the hotbed of silliness I had hoped.

That's a good point actually. Which are the quangos that people want scrapped and why?

Here's the most up-to-date list I can find. If anyone has a more recent one please post it.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tm4Dxoo0QtDrEOEC1FAJuUg

Like you I've looked through the list and have struggled to find anything that actually receives public money that is obviously bonkers.
  • Options
    SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It is a public body funded by a compulsory levy on potato growers and buyers. Afaik you don't have to pay it for growing your own.

Just like the British Cheese Board then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which are the quangos that people want scrapped and why?

Here's the most up-to-date list I can find. If anyone has a more recent one please post it.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tm4Dxoo0QtDrEOEC1FAJuUg

Like you I've looked through the list and have struggled to find anything that actually receives public money that is obviously bonkers.

The list you linked to is sourced from the Taxpayers Alliance who compiled it as they say there is bizarrely no official list of quangos let alone what they do and how much they cost.

They are also it seems rather unaccountable to anyone so making a decision on if they are really necessary or provide value for money is not the easiest of things to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    They are also it seems rather unaccountable to anyone so making a decision on if they are really necessary or provide value for money is not the easiest of things to do.

It can't be that hard, we've had politicians going on about scrapping them for months/years.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having looked at it, it doesn't seem to be promoting potatoes. It seems to be a sight for growers, for disseminating infomration.. on topics such as potato diseases, and more efficient farming methods,

Well, if you are a potato grower and you're not paying attention to information about things that affect your crops you're hardly doing your job, are you? It's like setting up a British Ladders Council to stop window cleaners and painters from falling down and hurting themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't be that hard, we've had politicians going on about scrapping them for months/years.

I was talking about those outside politics and you were the one who said you were struggling to find anything that actually receives public money that is obviously bonkers.

Ministers should of course if they are doing their job properly know wthat they are and what they cost though I daresay when they are asked to cut spending they will find out soon enough if they dont.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like setting up a British Ladders Council to stop window cleaners and painters from falling down and hurting themselves.

Which would hardly be necessary when we have the Health and Safety Executive doing the same job.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ASH receives several hundred thousand pounds from the Department of Health, and there was a quango (forget the name) which teaches children how to play.

EDIT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/jul/25/schoolsports.health
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another one. Not strictly a quango, but a charity funded by the Department for Health (so not a real charity at all) to produce a booklet instructing grandparents on how to be a good grandparent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/7542404/Government-funded-guide-teaches-grandmothers-to-suck-eggs.html
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    ASH receives several hundred thousand pounds from the Department of Health, and there was a quango (forget the name) which teaches children how to play.

EDIT: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/jul/25/schoolsports.health

Spending money on promoting physical activity amongst children might well pay for itself in the long run, though, as childhood obesity is currently one of the biggest issues with healthcare in the UK and is estimated to cost the NHS around £2billion a year.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Spending money on promoting physical activity amongst children might well pay for itself in the long run, though, as childhood obesity is currently one of the biggest issues with healthcare in the UKr.

How long has this quango been in existence then? Because if it is any length of time, they are clearly not doing much of a job of it. Rather than having a quango promoting play, wouldn't it just be easier to abolish the laws that prevent children playing in school?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Spending money on promoting physical activity amongst children might well pay for itself in the long run, though, as childhood obesity is currently one of the biggest issues with healthcare in the UK and is estimated to cost the NHS around £2billion a year.

That assume you have the money to pay for it in the first place and we don't. Tbh the track record of such initiatives is hardly good, e.g. teenage pregnancies, and it beggars belief people don't already know what these people spend money telling them.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    How long has this quango been in existence then? Because if it is any length of time, they are clearly not doing much of a job of it. Rather than having a quango promoting play, wouldn't it just be easier to abolish the laws that prevent children playing in school?

I have no idea, which is why I said it might pay for itself in the long run.

It just shows why a proper evaluation of what quangos do, why they do it and what impact it actually has is necessary before taking any decisions to scrap them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What laws "prevent children playing at school"?

As for quangos generally, the best and simplest way to do what they do more openly and cheaply would be to merge their functions into elected regional government. Most of the quangos that exist - NHS boards, tourism boards, waste management and planning authorities exist because most of England doesn't have any appropriate government to run those things accountably.

Sadly the same people who decry the quango would be equally outraged at the idea of devolved democracy.