Merlin - S4, E11: 'The Hunter's Heart' - BBC One/HD, 8:15pm, 10/12/2011

AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No teasers or picture previews to link to today, so we'll get straight to it! Really looking forward to this episode as it's the foundation of the remaining 3 but also a bit sad that in just 2 weeks time this series will come to an end :(

What did you think of this episode? 104 votes

Excellent
61% 64 votes
Good
30% 32 votes
Average
3% 4 votes
Badd
0% 0 votes
Awful
3% 4 votes

Comments

• I've Got ClassI've Got Class Posts: 12,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excited! does it finish on Xmas Eve :eek:
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to tonight's episode. Can't believe there's only two weeks to go before the season finale though!
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Excited! does it finish on Xmas Eve :eek:

It does....:(:(
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to have something decent on tv at this time rather than the insipid s*** on ITV right now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Nice to have something decent on tv at this time rather than the insipid s*** on ITV right now

Hi kutox :)
  • kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Hi kutox :)

Hey Mr. B

Next week's episode looks good
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phew. So many emotional buttons were pushed in this episode, I'm utterly exhausted! Another fabulous episode with (yet again) stand out performances by Colin and Bradley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fule!!!! Giving up someone like the Princess for a two-timing hussy...all Merlin's fault then - the downfall of Camelot..if he hadn;t messed up the romance and got Arthur pining for Gwen again he would have married the Princess and Camelot would not have fallen in the future...pah, rubbish script writers.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    Hey Mr. B

Next week's episode looks good

Doesn't it just :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a good set up episode for the two part series finale. I love the rotten core at the heart of Camelot with Agravaine working from the inside. He knows Merlin knows and that he (Merlin) can't do anything about it because he's Arthur's uncle and that's what makes it work for me. If it was one of the Knights he'd be worried but the fact Merlin's a serving boy means Agravaine underestimates him, which I hope is going to be his undoing.
    Next week's episode looks like it will be another action packed one leading to the cliff hanger for the last episode on Christmas Eve. Wonder if the cliff hanger will be them being forced out of Camelot or we'll see them win it back and Gwen's return before they break for Series Five.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Phew. So many emotional buttons were pushed in this episode, I'm utterly exhausted! Another fabulous episode with (yet again) stand out performances by Colin and Bradley.

They are brilliant young actors and deserve a massive career.... fingers crossed... If actors from Home and Away can crack Hollywood, surely they can...
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good ep. I really appreciate Princess Mithian and felt immensely sorry for her. She was lovely and Arthur breaking her heart was very sad to see.

He's still very immature it seems - particularly emotionally. It was uncomfortable to see him romancing the princess, giving her goo-goo eyes and cute speeches only to change his mind later.

Nice to see so much of Gwen and Morgana. Didn't like the way Gwen was all 'oh I deserved having my entire life ruined and being put out here in mortal danger for kissing another man!' It was rather sickening tbh. But I liked how she used her wits and bravery. I liked too that little moment of hesitation that Katie put in when Morgana realised she was on Gwen's trail and could hunt her down. She brings more depth to the character than the script does.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member

Agreed! Bradley James has been brilliant this series and Colin Morgan too. So waiting for Agravaine to finally get his comeuppance though!

I think yet another excellent for me..how tiresome :p
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the bit before the titles, booo =[ Never mind though,it was still a fabulous episode. I really loved the forest scenes when Morgana was chasing Gwen on her horse, I was nearly shouting "RUUUN!!" at the screen to Gwen:p, and the bit with the deer and Merlin. I thought that was quite a beautiful scene.

Another top quality episode ... can't believe the series is drawing to a close... =[
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Errr, I wasn't too sure about some parts of this episode. :confused: Arthur threatening Merlin with banishment was rather shocking and harsh... and he did it twice! I know he banished Gwen two episodes ago, so I can't really say it would be out of character for Arthur, but nevertheless, I felt it was. Surely he is used to Merlin overstepping the mark with his comments by now? Poor Merlin. When he said he would resign, I actually thought "yeah, I don't blame you".

But then, having just been threatened with banishment just for speaking out, he then acuses Agravaine of plotting against Arthur, Arthur thinks he finds proof that Agravaine is innocent, and what does he do to Merlin? Absolutely nothing! Eh?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Arthur threatening Merlin with banishment was rather shocking and harsh... and he did it twice!

Tbh, Arthur has been a complete arse for big sections of this series so I didn't find it out of character at all. I still think he comes across as immature in how he reacts and deals with people at times. He's meant to be what? About 25 by now and he's king. He needs to grow up emotionally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Tbh, Arthur has been a complete arse for big sections of this series so I didn't find it out of character at all. I still think he comes across as immature in how he reacts and deals with people at times. He's meant to be what? About 25 by now and he's king. He needs to grow up emotionally.

But he's supposed to be immature, that's what make it so good....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    But he's supposed to be immature, that's what make it so good....

Oh I don't mind immature if he realises it, admits it (even to himself!) and tries to grow. But so far, very little on that front!

He's a man now, not a boy and yet he's still acting like the latter. I could understand it in series 1/2 when he's turning 21. He's now supposed to be 25/26. Frankly, he'd probably only live until his 50s so he's not got long left to sort himself out :p
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent episode I thought. As soon as I saw the deer I feared it would be gwen (I think something similar was told in the greek myths); I found that hunting scene very exciting, I just wish Merlin had got his act together and stopped her getting hit at all.
    I know he's working for Morgana but it's Agravaine that I find frightening; the power he has over Arthur means he can get away with anything :(
    Very excited for the next two eps but sad that it'll be the end (what on earth will sat night tv look like :confused::yawn:).

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but regarding the episode Morgause was supposed to be in "what's on tv" Q&A section reports that the BBC cut the scenes during editing due to time constraints (rather than an error on behalf of the tv guides)
  • Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't mind immature if he realises it, admits it (even to himself!) and tries to grow. But so far, very little on that front!

He's a man now, not a boy and yet he's still acting like the latter. I could understand it in series 1/2 when he's turning 21. He's now supposed to be 25/26. Frankly, he'd probably only live until his 50s so he's not got long left to sort himself out :p

I don't expect anyone from Arthur's background to "mature" or view the world like other people because he is older. Arthur is spoilt, entitled and powerful. He does have some awareness about what it takes to be a good king and is a better king than Uther. Arthur does try to be fair and watch out for his people, but he is not going to get it right all the time, only sometimes. Besides that would be boring and would mean there is barely any use for Merlin outside of magic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

You can't figure it out like that. He's had a sheltered life - even today that's valid... ;);)
  • Avi8Avi8 Posts: 3,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Believe it or not, he has matured quite a bit since series 1&2. I have been watching those series lately on dvd, and the character is quite different (more mature) now. But I agree with you in a way that he needs to sort himself out. I thought we saw signs of the maturing Arthur in previous eps, eg last week when he owned up to the errors of his youth, but he still seems capable of relapses. Threatening Merlin in that way was particularly unpleasant in my opinion, and I am normally Arthur's biggest fan.

But, to have him threaten Merlin is one thing - you could say, as others have, that he was a spoilt prince, now a king with absolute authority - but to threaten banishment in one scene and then say nothing in the next scene when Merlin's accusations appear unfounded, well, that is just sloppy writing imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avi8 wrote: »
    Believe it or not, he has matured quite a bit since series 1&2.

He has and he hasn't. I still think he's emotionally very immature. Lashing out at Merlin how he does shows it. I didn't like how he was so very involved in his own feelings tonight - would it have hurt to have wonder if Gwen was okay out there rather than bang on constantly about his man pain again and how he felt?

Threatening to banish Merlin too felt like a very low blow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A good ep. I really appreciate Princess Mithian and felt immensely sorry for her. She was lovely and Arthur breaking her heart was very sad to see.

He's still very immature it seems - particularly emotionally. It was uncomfortable to see him romancing the princess, giving her goo-goo eyes and cute speeches only to change his mind later.

But he didn't just "change his mind later". He found the ring he gave Gwen in the woods and it reminded him that, no matter what happened, he loves her.

I thought it was very cleverly done exactly because the Princess was lovely. The audience were being given an alternative Queen to Gwen who they could like because she was not only pretty but was a genuinely nice woman as well. That made him giving her up for Gwen even more important imho.