The Liverpool Care Pathway isn't a 'death panel'.

Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
Forum Member
Glad to see what was a useful tool (if badly implemented) be recognised for what it was. Shame it will probably never be used again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25757322

The distressing stories of poor care presented to the panel looking into the LCP could not be ignored.

The panel rightly laid the blame at many different doors including poor communication skills, inadequate attention to the need for food and drink, questionable decision making and insufficient training.

These have been noted before in many reports or research papers and they always deserve repeating.

And yet, the report rejected the accusation that the LCP was a means of deliberately hastening someone's death and even praised it as an effective tool.

Comments

• MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes... It didn't help that most of the coverage of this didn't even really explain what a pathway was.
  • BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a step in the right direction, but because we clearly can't rely on others to be conscientious in their duties, it surely isn't too much to ask that when we are clearly approaching death, we should be helped to go quickly and painlessly, thus avoiding a nightmare death.

It's what I want anyway.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banning the LCP was like banning the Highway Code because of a few bad drivers.
    Quite.
  • Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Now we could just have an ad hoc approach to palliative care - not sure who that will help. Considering the insults thrown at care staff when various papers were labeling us murderers and uncaring, it is odd how little coverage this is getting.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    As a community nurse who implemented the pathway many times I was already aware of this article and completely agreed with the author.

The pathway when used correctly was a useful tool to ensure the best standard of care for the dying. In my opinion it was not the pathway itself which was at fault but inadequate training for those using it (particularly in hospitals) which caused it to be implemented inaccurately and badly.

We still use it, in all but name, for just the very mention of it can cause distress to patients and families. Following thorough explanation of what the pathway is and what it can and cannot do usually helps a great deal.

At the moment there is a consultation going on in the palliative care sector (both hospice and NHS) as to how we should replace this very useful tool.

Hopefully, the new pathway will continue to drive up the standard of care for the dying and just as importantly, the training in its use and implementation will be very thorough for all those who will use it.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    WinterLily wrote: »

We still use it, in all but name, for just the very mention of it can cause distress to patients and families. Following thorough explanation of what the pathway is and what it can and cannot do usually helps a great deal.

At the moment there is a consultation going on in the palliative care sector (both hospice and NHS) as to how we should replace this very useful tool.

Hopefully, the new pathway will continue to drive up the standard of care for the dying and just as importantly, the training in its use and implementation will be very thorough for all those who will use it.

We also still use it, we're just not allowed to refer to it by its name. Even the training session on end of life care in my trust has been renamed because the term LCP now carries such negative connotations. However, the old training sessions on the use and implementation of the LCP were very thorough, in my opinion, the palliative care nurses were excellent at imparting the need for compassion, sensitivity and high standards of care and, in a session I attended years ago, it was made clear that food and water should still be given if the patient was in a position to eat and drink :o It was also stressed that opioids should not be inappropriately administered if the patient was not experiencing pain or discomfort. I think that the problem was that many staff just did not get to attend the training sessions and misinterpreted the proper function of the LCP. I really found some of the stories I read very hard to believe - patients being deprived of food and water for a week and more - because I had never personally known any patient to live more than a couple of days on the LCP.

I'm sure many of the stories printed were true or had elements of truth but it's hard to believe fully anything the press writes (journalists put their own spin on any story as I have witnessed from reading press reports of events I have first hand knowledge of). The media are very powerful, influencing public perception and basically scare-mongering.

All the old paperwork used for the LCP, which amounted to about 15 pages in my trust, has been removed, which means there's currently a lot less work involved for staff when a decision is made to withdraw medical care and give comfort measures only. However, this also means that staff no longer have a care plan to guide them through the process though it does mean they have more freedom and flexibility to apply some common sense and not stick so rigidly to what the care plan 'instructed' them to do (though it was really only a guideline). I'm sure the LCP will be followed up by equally weighty and lengthy new paperwork - eventually.
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    MarellaK wrote: »
    We also still use it, we're just not allowed to refer to it by its name. Even the training session on end of life care in my trust has been renamed because the term LCP now carries such negative connotations. However, the old training sessions on the use and implementation of the LCP were very thorough, in my opinion, the palliative care nurses were excellent at imparting the need for compassion, sensitivity and high standards of care and, in a session I attended years ago, it was made clear that food and water should still be given if the patient was in a position to eat and drink :o It was also stressed that opioids should not be inappropriately administered if the patient was not experiencing pain or discomfort. I think that the problem was that many staff just did not get to attend the training sessions and misinterpreted the proper function of the LCP. I really found some of the stories I read very hard to believe - patients being deprived of food and water for a week and more - because I had never personally known any patient to live more than a couple of days on the LCP.

I'm sure many of the stories printed were true or had elements of truth but it's hard to believe fully anything the press writes (journalists put their own spin on any story as I have witnessed from reading press reports of events I have first hand knowledge of). The media are very powerful, influencing public perception and basically scare-mongering.

All the old paperwork used for the LCP, which amounted to about 15 pages in my trust, has been removed, which means there's currently a lot less work involved for staff when a decision is made to withdraw medical care and give comfort measures only. However, this also means that staff no longer have a care plan to guide them through the process though it does mean they have more freedom and flexibility to apply some common sense and not stick so rigidly to what the care plan 'instructed' them to do (though it was really only a guideline). I'm sure the LCP will be followed up by equally weighty and lengthy new paperwork - eventually.

And why does the paperwork always have to be more lengthy than in the past? However, in my trust we are now looking at ways to shorten & simplify paperwork - at last someone is listening to those of us who have to use it.
    :):D
  • blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was for my lovely Mum, no matter what the hospital said. >:(

The only part of my local hospital I intend to be admitted to is the morgue.
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was for my lovely Mum, no matter what the hospital said. >:(

The only part of my local hospital I intend to be admitted to is the morgue.

:(:(:(:( So sorry about your mum. It was the same for my mother in law :(