Options

Programmes, films, series etc you hated as a child...

Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
Forum Member
Mine were - Black beauty, Lassie, a programme that had the theme ' on white horses let me ride away...

I'm thinking on...!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Brideshead Revisited, found it so slow and boring as a child. Tried watching it as an adult and it just reminded me of how bored I was watching it as a child.

Sesame Street.

Fawlty Towers as Basil annoyed rather than amused me.

Flasing Blade

Heidi and Huckleberry Finn as they seemed to go on forever.

Duty Free

Last of the Summer Wine
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Mine were - Black beauty, Lassie, a programme that had the theme ' on white horses let me ride away...

I'm thinking on...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9BqNtB1YgE&feature=kp

Version of "The white horses" by Morwenna Banks as her "little girl" character - it is really funny at 1.20 where she explains "she does know what a horsey is - it is like a cow but without a milk bag underneath"

All those awful Eastern European dubbed "childrens" shows which were scary as hell.
    "The Singing Ringing Tree" was particularly dreadful.

I also hated "The Tomorrow people" original ITV series as the lead actor was such a smug condescending prig.

And there was "Brainchild" hosted by John Craven on BBC - where they always had 3 kids from comprehensives/ grammar schools - and one REALLY posh kid (presumably from a Public School)
    Every week it was blatantly rigged so the posh kid got more questions and won.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like Secret Army or Ever Decreasing Circles back when they were first broadcast, but they're among my favourites now. Guess my tastes have changed as I've aged.

Many more series that I liked back in the day, but can't be bothered with now. That needs a separate topic, though.

Duty Free was mentioned...... I actually like that series! Always liked it.

Never liked Blue Peter much.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask the Family .

oh and Songs of Praise , jeezus ! church and Sunday was bad enough , but then that rubbish - bloody hell !!!

and Dad's Army , not so much the show but that theme song , I HATED it , same with Coronation Street - that theme music - how does anyone listen to it , it sounds like a dying elephant whose hung-over from too much stout .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't like Secret Army or Ever Decreasing Circles back when they were first broadcast, but they're among my favourites now. Guess my tastes have changed as I've aged.

Many more series that I liked back in the day, but can't be bothered with now. That needs a separate topic, though.

Couldn't stand it as it was the same thing every week. Keith Barron would try to have an illicit meeting with the blonde. They would both try to get their partners out of the way but the plan woudn't work and it would usually end in farce where one or both of the partners would walk in on them. It never seemed to be off TV in the mid 80s.

I preferred Magpie to Blue Peter.

I didn't like Ask The Family.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunday night dramas like Heartbeat, The Royal, Where the Heart Is, etc, which my Gran loved. Sorry Gran!

I liked Last of the Summer Wine but it was never the same after Bill Owen died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Armchair Thriller titles scared me.

Never liked Cannon & Ball. Bernard Manning called them the only double act with 2 straight men as the so-called funny man wasn't funny.:D

Never liked Tommy Cooper. He used to do rubbish magic tricks that didn't work and I'd think 'What's funny about that?'.
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Dad's Army
    It Ain't 'Alf Hot Mum
    Any westerns
    Any gangster films
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,055
    Forum Member

I was thinking of Ever Decreasing Circles! I thought it was boring and really unfunny as a child, but since seeing it as an adult I love it!

I used to watch Worzel Gummidge and I sort of liked it but I didn't, if you see what mean! I think I found it a bit creepy when he changed his head :D
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Neighbours. All of my friends liked it circa 1989-1992 but I never liked it.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never liked Ever Decreasing Circles.
    Full of posh twits obsessed with cricket, one character with OCD and a husband and wife who dressed in the same clothes.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated Blue Peter and the other similar one called Magpie. Also hated Crossroads and The Sullivans (but I did used to chuckle at the opening theme with that girl pulling that lads hat down!)
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had 'issues' with doctor who. There was something about the dalek voices, I could feel the
    vibrations on my neck......
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated Blue Peter.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Quite a few things. My parents like sport so there was always football, moto gp, car racing etc on and occasionally the odd boring old show like dads army which didnt appeal to me as a kid. So i grew quite fond of adverts! As a kid i looked forward to the adverts and found the shows dreadful.

Now its the other way round so either adverts have gone downhill, or i had a really dull childhood!
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    'Calimero' - terrible cartoon about a misfit chick who wore half an eggshell and spoke in a whiny voice.
    'Why Don't You Switch Off Your Television Set' - prompted you to do just that.
    I never liked stuff like 'The Magic Roundabout', or 'The Clangers', because I deemed them to be 'childish'. Of course, I'm now old enough to properly appreciate them!
    'Coronation Street', yes, that's a given. Dreary, depressing rubbish, and that position hasn't changed in 40-odd years...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Albert the 5th Musketeer - I'm not sure if that was what the show was called but the theme tune kept repeating that. I used to ****ing hate it!

I also used to hate the Superman series (the one that had Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane) and I know this is probably a bit of a controversial one but I couldn't stand The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. :eek: It still annoys me when people sing the theme tune today. :mad: :D
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated The Incredible Hulk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never got into Harry Potter; I just couldn't and I still can't now.

TV wise I never liked "round the twist" that much and I found the queen's nose boring.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Bentine's Potty Time

Cloppa Castle

HATED those shows.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Why dont you,

Blue Peter.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I hated Blue Peter. I always thought it was very goody two-shoes. I also hated One Foot In The Grave but strangely enough it's my favourite classic sitcom now.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    'Why Don't You Switch Off Your Television Set' - prompted you to do just that.

Especially when they moved it around the regions -
    From Wikipedia...
    The 1972 pilot for Why Don't You was filmed in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire with a team of children from Valley Road Primary School. From its inception in 1973, the gang's studio had been based in Bristol, and it resembled a dusty basement. However, from 1980, the show also featured gangs from other parts of the United Kingdom, and these shows were made by the respective BBC regional centre, although all were broadcast nationwide.[2] The first "alternative" gangs came from a barn in Scotland and a church hall in Belfast, followed by a seaside café in Cardiff. As the 1980s continued, all four studio settings were abandoned and the gang became based in other UK locations, such as Liverpool.

When it left Bristol and went to Glasgow and Belfast - I could not understand what some of the kids were saying as they had such strong local accents (they did not use stage school kids who had been "trained")
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,055
    Forum Member
    I hated Blue Peter. I always thought it was very goody two-shoes. I also hated One Foot In The Grave but strangely enough it's my favourite classic sitcom now.

That's another sitcom I didn't see what was so funny about, some old git moaning all the time :D Now I'm older I can appreciate it! OFITG is one of my favourites too :)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Just remembered - The Magic Roundabout' too - hated that & danger mouse - don't even start me on the cartoon roadrunner!>:( my brother is six years younger than me so I had to endure 'Batman' as well! Gosh, these programmes show my age!:D

Captain Pugwash - remember that anyone? Wouldn't be allowed these days.