Options

Welfare cuts ...

GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.... Come on Gideon explain yourself, or are you too scared of the poor and disabled not voting for your party at the GE that you don't want to say. Or that it will show what your real intent is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31967019

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 billion is a lot of money, what ever he does its going to have consequences.

I suspect it will involve something that all classes use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 billion is a lot of money, what ever he does its going to have consequences.

I suspect it will involve something that all classes use.

Could be his poll tax.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GibsonSG wrote: »
    Could be his poll tax.

I don't think it will be a tax, considering the changes they plan to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it will be a tax, considering the changes they plan to make.

No I meant it could have the same effects as the poll tax in terms of popularity. My fault for being cryptic.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah the IFS that Osborne in opposition used to quote when asked about the content of Labour budgets "let's see what the IFS have to say". Looks like they've spoken.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Very difficult this one as most benefits are means tested, apart from things like disabilty benefits DLA, PIP, AA. Hitting housing benefit which is also a means tested benefit would be daft if you dont have rent control in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I meant it could have the same effects as the poll tax in terms of popularity. My fault for being cryptic.

No doubt a few "liberals" will cause a scene, but they will soon be pushed into line. We can't have unrest on our streets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah the IFS that Osborne in opposition used to quote when asked about the content of Labour budgets "let's see what the IFS have to say". Looks like they've spoken.

Gideon will not like it.
  • Options
    jkwellyjkwelly Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the Politics show today the tory said they will not say where the cuts will be until after the election, says it all really.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    .... Come on Gideon explain yourself, or are you too scared of the poor and disabled not voting for your party at the GE that you don't want to say. Or that it will show what your real intent is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31967019

I said he had missed out what he would do with welfare.

That is not only a glaring omission but is seems he has something to hide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jkwelly wrote: »
    On the Politics show today the tory said they will not say where the cuts will be until after the election, says it all really.

What ever they are they are going to upset someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jkwelly wrote: »

Yes I saw that too.

Just shows they know they'll lose votes if they come out with it now.

Trouble is who is going to not vote for them who would have done anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What ever they are they are going to upset someone.

Well at least upset people by being honest.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd hazard a guess that the targets will be the young, unemployed, sick and disabled rather than the major welfare drains like subsidised wages for company profits, child benefits for the well off, OAP benefits to those that don't need it etc and of course the new one - welfare payments to help people buy a house.

If the government really wanted to reduce the welfare bill by significant amounts they'd tackle the causes of high housing benefits bills and working tax credits, but that would hit the landlords and businesses which are their core support and source of donations and job opportunities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    I'd hazard a guess that the targets will be the young, unemployed, sick and disabled rather than the major welfare drains like subsidised wages for company profits, child benefits for the well off, OAP benefits to those that don't need it etc and of course the new one - welfare payments to help people buy a house.

If the government really wanted to reduce the welfare bill by significant amounts they'd tackle the causes of high housing benefits bills and working tax credits, but that would hit the landlords and businesses which are their core support and source of donations and job opportunities.

Yes they'll attack the weak and defenseless rather than the rich and powerful. (of which I include rich OAPs).
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they'll attack the weak and defenseless rather than the rich and powerful. (of which I include rich OAPs).

So, 'we' need to return to means testing then to see who does and who does not qualify for benefits?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well at least upset people by being honest.

Then you will lose their vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Then you will lose their vote.

Better to lose votes with honesty than keep them with lies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better to lose votes with honesty than keep them with lies.

They are not telling any lies, they are simply withholding information until after the election.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    [/B]

So, 'we' need to return to means testing then to see who does and who does not qualify for benefits?

I don't know. Just stop taking from the poor, and take from the rich a bit more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are not telling any lies, they are simply withholding information until after the election.

A lie by omission.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know. Just stop taking from the poor, and take from the rich a bit more.

but without means testing who decides who is rich and who is poor??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    but without means testing who decides who is rich and who is poor??

Is it really difficult? Is not £70 less than £500?

Which would you say was poor and which would you say was rich?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    [/B]

Most benefits are means tested
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Conservatives like it when everyone is at each others throat you know.

Austerity is a ploy to create a new type of society, although rather similar to that which we had prior to 1906.

There is no need whatsoever for what the Conservatives have been doing these last five years, they are scammers and abusers.