Options

Airbus Plane Crash in France

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deivu74 wrote: »
    Who are these strange women on BBC News? Where's the windowed studio with Matthew Amrolililililalawah and Jane Hill?

Matthew is currently on his day job, shop-window dummy in Top Man.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    BBC coverage yet again looks shoddy, cheap and amateurish. Over to Sky for me....

Sky are undoubtedly the best for breaking news. Trouble is they don't know when to stop and it ends up banal nonsense after a few hours. Time to switch off then.
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,328
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I hope he is ok. I'm sure he is , but it's a worry .

Thank you. He is okay, thankfully. :)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DanManF1 wrote: »
    Thank you. He is okay, thankfully. :)

Good. :) I will relax when I pick my daughter up from Inverness tonight. Feeling very nervous and unsettled by this tragedy . Stupid I know .
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spookily, for a flight from Barcelona, the crash seems to have occured near Barcelonette, wreckage has been found on the 2,961-metre high Tête de l'Estrop mountain a few miles south west.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If David Learmount appears saying "Modern planes simply do not fall out of the sky", I will be cross.

Sympathies to all concerned, of course.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As an aviation expert on Sky has just said, it beggars belief that in this day and age of technology they still rely on a black box to give them the information they need. That's if they find it and also it takes weeks.

Its about time the airlines lobbed out the money to install up to date equipment that gives up to date data about the plane and its whereabouts. Just think if it had been on MH370 we wouldn't be still looking for it over a year on.
  • Options
    DanManF1DanManF1 Posts: 8,328
    Forum Member
    Good. :) I will relax when I pick my daughter up from Inverness tonight. Feeling very nervous and unsettled by this tragedy . Stupid I know .

That's perfectly natural. It's reasons like this why I've never been on a plane before.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    this Arron chap seems quite arrogant on bbc. keeps talking over people.

i agree with previous comments that the BBC is a bit shoddy with breaking news.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who travels a lot myself, I am gutted to hear of fellow globe trotters perishing in this crash and of course the crew! It seems such an unusual and almost sinister crash! I hope they find a cause soon as it's a scary thing for those of us with future flights booked, one of my trips is to Berlin flying on the A320! :-O That said I have been on loads of A320's!
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Sky are undoubtedly the best for breaking news. Trouble is they don't know when to stop and it ends up banal nonsense after a few hours. Time to switch off then.

That's a very good point. Sky simply doesn't know when to shut up, they go over and over the same point, banging on and on, even when they've nothing to add to what's already been said, on and on, repeating themselves, with witless and dopey commentators speaking because they sort of have to speak otherwise their mouths will seize up, speaking the same inanities, over and over, turning words into meaningless dribbling blurbling, on and on and on...

...maybe I should get a job with Sky news...

Seriously though - Sky are frequently better at breaking stories as they do seem to have a good network of talking heads wherever they need them, and Sky is less afraid of getting stuff wrong.
    The BBC is far more cautious when reporting anything Happening Right Now and tends to want everything verified to the nth degree. This usually makes the BBC look as if they are trailing behind other broadcasters though. Plusses and minuses to both approaches really.

And - its all too easy for us to comment on these sort of stories, being flippant and scoring points off other posters.
    But it looks like 150ish people have died today in an horrendous crash. Lets not forget that.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »
    As an aviation expert on Sky has just said, it beggars belief that in this day and age of technology they still rely on a black box to give them the information they need. That's if they find it and also it takes weeks.

Its about time the airlines lobbed out the money to install up to date equipment that gives up to date data about the plane and its whereabouts. Just think if it had been on MH370 we wouldn't be still looking for it over a year on.

It usually takes weeks to analyse the data, and that would be the case however the data was collected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The terrain looks formidable. What a challenging rescue/recovery.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    15 years since last passenger jet crash in France.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fear of flying is totally irrational I know. But many people suffer from it, I know I do. Every single moment in the air is pure panic and I'm close to never making another flight as it does not get any easier .

I don't think there's anything irrational about a fear of flying. You're 30,000 in the air in a long metal tube. If something goes wrong, that's a bloody long way down.

I'm not scared of flying as such, as I know the chances of being in a crash are very slim, but it's not something I particularly love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching that aussie guy whose name I can't remember on BBC and between him and some other people on there I am getting scary feeling that there is on overall sense that something sinister has happened! The aussie guy was reiterating vehemently that this just does not happen to these european airlines flying in europe :-(

There's talk too of people being hurt who were living in the area where the plane crashed!
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    hansue wrote: »

I agree. Live system telemetry relayed to a central location for storage off the aircraft is what is required, it can't be that hard to do in this day and age. We're able to do it for our facility here so that live monitoring of systems, instrumentation and trends can be looked at remotely using an ipad and visual interface, so why can't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daughters flight from Faro landed safely, as expected at Gatwick. I'm worried she will hear about the crash and be scared of her next flight.:(

She is on a school trip but travelling unaccompanied on the next leg.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second crash would be unheard of Benjamini
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A second crash would be unheard of Benjamimi

I keep telling myself that. Irrational fear:D she then faces me driving down the A 9 for 3 hours. Haha, that's much scarier :o
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fear of flying is totally irrational I know. But many people suffer from it, I know I do. Every single moment in the air is pure panic and I'm close to never making another flight as it does not get any easier .

Totally.

I must have flown around the world a dozen times in total and it never, ever gets any better.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    It descended at 3,500ft per minute.
    gold2040 wrote: »
    10000ft descent in literally minutes

My heart goes out :(

None of those are particularly unusual. Maybe a tad high, but not unusual. From that alone would suggest it was a somewhat controlled descent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Totally.

I must have flown around the world a dozen times in total and it never, ever gets any better.

You have my sympathy. I have considered going to those fear of flying courses it's so bad.
    These accidents compound the fear. I keep thinking of what these passengers went through. I hope it was quick .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ now it's gone up to 5000ft a minute! I've experienced the odd drop due to turbulence and they feel bad enough! I can't comprehend what these people went through! The helplessness and panic they would have felt!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »

Switch off when they put up a graphical counter to show the fatalities, or Kay Burley arrives on the scene - whichever happens first.