Radio Two Playlists

North_Sea FMNorth_Sea FM Posts: 516
Forum Member
✭✭
I've noticed on serveral occasions that when Johnny Walker is in for Wogan, the music & format of the show seems completely different.

For example, Johnny Walker always starts his show with his own 70's style jingle, then goes strait into a song, where as Terry starts with a link. Not only that but the music seems a bit older when Johnny is on too. :confused:

Comments

• R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if Radio 2 have a playlist as such. I would guess that shows like Wogan, the music is picked by him and Paul Walters, Johnnie Walker would pick his I think. Jonathan Ross would get his done by Andy his producer, Steve Wright seems to play alot of 'new music' so his show may be playlisted with the listeners non-stop oldies in there too.

Richard Allinson I would say picks his music for his show. I may be completely wrong but from listening I think the only shows to follow a radio 2 'playlist' would be Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and the night time shows.

Like I said though it's just a guess............
  • BeancounterBeancounter Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine that Jeremy Vine gets to select his own tracks too as he plays quite a different style of music to his stand ins. Also, its not uncommon to hear Vine play a song and then hear Steve Wright play it again an hour later.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I would imagine that Jeremy Vine gets to select his own tracks too as he plays quite a different style of music to his stand ins. Also, its not uncommon to hear Vine play a song and then hear Steve Wright play it again an hour later.

I would imagine that Jeremy Vine has a very limited say in the records he plays. After all he's there for his news background not his knowlage of AC music scheduling.

I think unlike commercial radio the radio 2 presenters have some say on the music they play but they certainly cannot just play whatever they fancy. I guess the producer has the final say along with the head of music who will both make sure that the music thats played on air fits in with the specific guidlines of the music policy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    R300 wrote:
    I'm not sure if Radio 2 have a playlist as such.
    You can find out all about the Radio 2 playlist on the Radio 2 website here. It's also got some link explaining how the playlist is chosen.

Cheers,

Reg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the link to the playlist page. I was more thinking that it doesn't sound like Radio 2 have a list of tunes that the presenter must play. Like on your average commercial station where everything is pre-programmed for you to just do links and the like.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    R300 wrote:
    Thanks for the link to the playlist page. I was more thinking that it doesn't sound like Radio 2 have a list of tunes that the presenter must play. Like on your average commercial station where everything is pre-programmed for you to just do links and the like.

I think a fair amount of the music on radio 2 is from a playlist that has been made up for the presenter but its worth remembering that with a station the size of Radio 2 and with the resources of the BBC you can afford to get some of the best music schedulers in the business, plus you're dealing with some of the best producers and presenters in the business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that within reason the presenter, no matter what station, should have an input on the music to be played. If (as a presenter) you enjoy the music you are playing, you will do a better show. If J Ross or R Allinson were told to play just the latest 'top 40 tunes', I guess they'd get pretty peeved and do a crap show, no matter how professional they were.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    I believe that jocks like Allinson, Bruce and Lester, and to some extent Steve Wright work from radio 2's playlist, with say 3-4 presenter picks an hour that fit format. Mo Dutta is definetly working from a playlist, because he blatantly hasnt a clue what he's playing most of the time.

Vine works within the playlist for sure, but often gets music to fit the news item he's talking about, but passes it off as coincidence.

I read somewhere that Mark Radcliffe has to play 2 playlist songs an hour, so It's fair to say he does his own thing. Ross probably works in the same manner as Radcliffe.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I believe that jocks like Allinson, Bruce and Lester, and to some extent Steve Wright work from radio 2's playlist, with say 3-4 presenter picks an hour that fit format. Mo Dutta is definetly working from a playlist, because he blatantly hasnt a clue what he's playing most of the time.

Vine works within the playlist for sure, but often gets music to fit the news item he's talking about, but passes it off as coincidence.

I read somewhere that Mark Radcliffe has to play 2 playlist songs an hour, so It's fair to say he does his own thing. Ross probably works in the same manner as Radcliffe.
    Holy Thread Resurrection... :)

Vino is talking about Hitler & Eva Braun and their suicide (70 years ago today), and broke to play a piece of music - What's Love Got To Do With It? by Tina Turner. Full marks to the man (or his producer).

I know it's an old thread but it didn't warrant a new one, and I knew I'd seen this subject discussed somewhere.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Holy Thread Resurrection... :)

Vino is talking about Hitler & Eva Braun and their suicide (70 years ago today), and broke to play a piece of music - What's Love Got To Do With It? by Tina Turner. Full marks to the man (or his producer).

I know it's an old thread but it didn't warrant a new one, and I knew I'd seen this subject discussed somewhere.

What's that got to do with playlists?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TUC wrote: »

I'd have said as one of Tina Turner's trade mark songs, it was more regular Radio 2 playlist than not :)
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    It may be too difficult for you to grasp on first reading but have another look at the BIB in my response, and then have another go at reading the last line in my post.

Heck man it was just a passing comment.