Options

Are soaps 'forced' to reveal spoilers?

attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
Forum Member
✭✭
Are they forced to reveal spoilers/upcoming disaster plots?

Look what happened when EE revealed that Shirley was Micks Mother, it was kept a secret & no one expected it!

Just imagine the shock factor if Corrie hadn't had leaked that there would have been a tram crash, you definitely wouldn't have expected it to happen!

But are soaps 'forced' to reveal plots?

Comments

• Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,595
    Forum Member
    Suppose they see it as a form of advertising
    Cannot see how anybody could" force" a soap to reveal what it did not want to
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well they have to generate a certain level of interest to get people to watch and keep watching. plus im sure they must have contracts to give certain info to the media such as tv/soap mags.

if they didnt they probably wouldnt be able to film anything on location due to being harrassed by paps and you would probably find the low end rags paying family members/friends for titbits.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale are doing this at the moment! This week 'someone will die' - but there has been no publicity or leaks - we'll have to wait until Thursday!!

I agree though, that if there is going to be a BIG disaster (tram-crash), it's worth publicising to get the build-up of ratings!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale are doing this at the moment! This week 'someone will die' - but there has been no publicity or leaks - we'll have to wait until Thursday!!

I agree though, that if there is going to be a BIG disaster (tram-crash), it's worth publicising to get the build-up of ratings!!

There was a major leak about ED when it said in the press release who died.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I suppose they are forced to give something in the way of spoilers, such as for the weeklies, and they want the coverage for their particular soap.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the teaser approach
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »
    I like the teaser approach

Me too! Emmerdale has done well on this Charity/Declan scenario - and it has all built up to tomorrows (Thursday) grand finale as to who dies.
    No promos on ITV every ad-break - nothing! Who will it be? There have been leaks about certain people - but are they red herrings??
    Emmerdale are pretty cool about keeping secrets now and again!
    Maybe Edna The Hat pops her clogs!! (only joking - I love Edna!):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too! Emmerdale has done well on this Charity/Declan scenario - and it has all built up to tomorrows (Thursday) grand finale as to who dies.
    No promos on ITV every ad-break - nothing! Who will it be? There have been leaks about certain people - but are they red herrings??
    Emmerdale are pretty cool about keeping secrets now and again!
    Maybe Edna The Hat pops her clogs!! (only joking - I love Edna!):)

Everybody knows who dies.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Everybody knows who dies.

I don't. I know who I think it's likely to be but haven't seen anything that confirms it one way or the other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    I don't. I know who I think it's likely to be but haven't seen anything that confirms it one way or the other.

ITV press centre gave it away with the spoilers. They changed it after 2 hours though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ITV press centre gave it away with the spoilers. They changed it after 2 hours though.

Could you spoiler tag who it is?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    Could you spoiler tag who it is?

There you go.
    Megan grieves for Robbie at his funeral
  • Options
    Forum Member