• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    "pull my finger".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I've got a raging hard-on thinking of the things I could do with you, your mum and the robot."
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I've been thinking about this and the likeliest answer is my mind is - "I trust River Song".

I had thought he'd say "Tell River I love her" but at this point, he really doesn't love her - not in the "lover" sense of the word. He only "knows" they have a relationship because she told him and - in the circumstances - her word isn't worth much.

Saying he trusts her would fit with TIA - her face when he said "Trust you River - never" suggested that really hurt her. It would also show a huge change in the Doctor's attitude towards her but stop short of having him actually be "in love" with her.

It would also fit with the scene - Melody took it as read that the Doctor trusts this River Song person but had no idea he was actually talking about her until she was shown that by the Bo'selecta.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I want it to be 'Tell her I love her' but there are quite a few possibilities. I just want it to be that because I love the Doctor and River together :)
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhillippaD wrote: »
    I want it to be 'Tell her I love her' but there are quite a few possibilities. I just want it to be that because I love the Doctor and River together :)

I guess the real question is : why does he have to whisper it ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I I assumed she grew up with them forest people and was brought up as River Song as their was no Pond Melody.
    There might not have been Pond Melody but surely there was Water Music.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saying he trusts her would fit with TIA - her face when he said "Trust you River - never" suggested that really hurt her. .
    Why would it hurt her if the SAME doctor, according to you, told her that he DID trust her years earlier.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can smeone remind me -

in her first appearance (silence in the library?) she whispers something to the doc , did we ever learn what it was ? could it be the same line ?
    His name.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    SinSeer wrote: »
    Why would it hurt her if the SAME doctor, according to you, told her that he DID trust her years earlier.:confused:
    River told Amy (possibly in the same episode?) that she was going through her life and watching the Doctor forget her, and she knows that one day they'll meet and he won't know her at all. The thing that hurts her most is him forgetting. Assuming she is actually one of the good guys (and I reckon she is).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the TessaSandersonelector identify her as Melody Pond?

If that's the case, history must have recorded that Melody Pond killed the Doctor and no-one but the Doctor and Co (and 10,000,000 viewers but we ain't dobbing her in) has heard of River Song - so taking the name could simply be a disguise, a way of avoiding being caught and tried.
    Well, she went to university as River Song, she got her PhD as River Song before being jailed (as far as I can tell) and then eventually after finishing her sentence she got her chair as River Song. It doesn't seem like much of a disguise -- just a pseudonym, and the Justice Department probably goes with birth names as a matter of course.

PS. I think it's "tessellator" -- "tessellate" is to fit together like tiles: the surface of the robot is tiles, anyway. It's also pretty close to "Terminator" phonetically, which is obviously 100% coincidence. ;)
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kw4121 wrote: »
    i think he said " Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast" :P
    Classic! :D:D:D

For the record, I assumed it was "Tell her I love her" too, just based on River's reaction and subsequent actions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about this and the likeliest answer is my mind is - "I trust River Song".

I had thought he'd say "Tell River I love her" but at this point, he really doesn't love her - not in the "lover" sense of the word. He only "knows" they have a relationship because she told him and - in the circumstances - her word isn't worth much.

Saying he trusts her would fit with TIA - her face when he said "Trust you River - never" suggested that really hurt her. It would also show a huge change in the Doctor's attitude towards her but stop short of having him actually be "in love" with her.

It would also fit with the scene - Melody took it as read that the Doctor trusts this River Song person but had no idea he was actually talking about her until she was shown that by the Bo'selecta.

Oooooo I think you could be onto something with this!!!!!

Ties in very well with the episode in the Library when River tells 10 that one day he will trust her implicitly and goes on to whisper his name to him. The name she got from the crib, the trust she got from him whispering it to her right there and then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Niallio wrote: »
    Well, she went to university as River Song, she got her PhD as River Song before being jailed (as far as I can tell) and then eventually after finishing her sentence she got her chair as River Song. It doesn't seem like much of a disguise -- just a pseudonym, and the Justice Department probably goes with birth names as a matter of course.

PS. I think it's "tessellator" -- "tessellate" is to fit together like tiles: the surface of the robot is tiles, anyway. It's also pretty close to "Terminator" phonetically, which is obviously 100% coincidence. ;)

The whole point of a disguise - which i highlighted using italics - is that it works from then on. I thought I made it fairly clear that she would use that "disguise" to hide from her past so what does getting a degree under that adopted name have to do with it.

PS - I think you'll find that a pseudonym is not used to hide - it's just an alternative name used by someone who is not actually concealing their true identity. Just saying.

PPS - it's spelled Tesalector - easily checked on the BBC's DW website.

PPPS - I've spelled it every way but that for the last couple of weeks - it's a joke. I really do know it's not called a TessaSandersonElector or a Tossercorrector.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "you have a nice rack"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SinSeer wrote: »

Sorry - I don't follow what you are saying at all.

The Doctor told the older River tha he would never trust her. The younger Melody/River had no way of knowing that this happened and she only "knew" that this River person was someone the Doctor cared about. He tells her to tell River "when she sees her" that he trusts her and moments later, Melody "sees" River and realises that the Doctor was talking about her.

I've no idea what your post means.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing it was "give me your remaining regenerations, you bitch-and don't tell your mum and dad! This show's called 'Doctor Who' so if I snuff it, you're off to TV limbo till Judgment Day, pal!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing it was "give me your remaining regenerations, you bitch-and don't tell your mum and dad! This show's called 'Doctor Who' so if I snuff it, you're off to TV limbo till Judgment Day, pal!"

...and by an amazing coincidence, there's a track on the series six OST album (£93.99 from all good retailers) called exactly that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell Amy I need fish fingers and custard? :D I hope we get to find out what it was though, unless it was his name I don't want them saying the doctors real name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is this 'Lost in Translation'? hahahaha. My god with this episode I was banging my head against the screen. She regenerates and is RIver/Melody *sigh* What they should have done was to re-generate as 'The Master' and took the story away from this 'timey, wimey, Melody, RIver, Rory and Amy' debacle. I was actualy thinking 'Please be the master'.

Don't get me wrong I love Doctor Who and always have but recently I think the writers are just making it up as they go along and tieing themselves in knots they can't get out of.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presumed her taking on the name River Song and not being Melody Pond is essentially because otherwise Amy and Rory will be pretty freaked out and it would also kind of ruin the whole who is River story lol.;):D.

Imagine TWA with those intros.:D

Surely the Doctor would have spoken with her at some point and dealt with the notion that all her interactions could cause mayhem with her own time line?

The idea of River herself going back and schooling herself in time travel etiquette is pretty cool too.
  • Options
    jks69jks69 Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I think he says "tell River I forgive her" - fits with the references to Jesus - Judas Kiss etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The whole point of a disguise - which i highlighted using italics - is that it works from then on. I thought I made it fairly clear that she would use that "disguise" to hide from her past so what does getting a degree under that adopted name have to do with it.

PS - I think you'll find that a pseudonym is not used to hide - it's just an alternative name used by someone who is not actually concealing their true identity. Just saying.
    Well, yes, cos if she's going to kill the Doctor (or be wrongly accused of it), it looks like it's going to have to be post-name-change...
    PPS - it's spelled Tesalector - easily checked on the BBC's DW website.
    The BBC website? What do they know? I bet they don't even know the Doctor's name.... :D
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    double post :o
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    When River and Amy discuss the Doctor's whispering again, River says that he didn't whisper his name at all.
    Amy longs to see her Doctor again, but she can’t, he’s dead. River then says "Oh mother, he isn’t dead, don’t you want to know what he whispered in my ear?". Amy assumes it was his name. River says no it wasn’t his name. Amy says that the Doctor said he was about to whisper his name to River, but he clearly didn’t. He whispered something to stop the astronaut killing him

http://doctorwhospoilers.com/2011/4137