River Song/10th Doctor Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
Forum Member
✭✭
Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread...I wanted to ask it before I forgot!!

When we first meet River, #10 does not have any feelings towards her at all - as in, no idea she is part Timelord. When people started talking about River being a Timelord, I wondered why he didn't know - unless it was another pocket watch thing (and was really hoping it wasn't)

My question is...River gave her remaining regeneration's to the Doctor...could that be why he didn't see her as part Timelord at any earlier point?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if this has been discussed in another thread...I wanted to ask it before I forgot!!

When we first meet River, #10 does not have any feelings towards her at all - as in, no idea she is part Timelord. When people started talking about River being a Timelord, I wondered why he didn't know - unless it was another pocket watch thing (and was really hoping it wasn't)

My question is...River gave her remaining regeneration's to the Doctor...could that be why he didn't see her as part Timelord at any earlier point?

Firstly, it's possible post-LKH that in using the last of her lives to save the Doctor, she purged the remaining elements of her DNA that made her in anyway, physically Timelord, so the River Song we seen so far would appear simply human to the Doctor.

Also interesting to note, the Doctor didn't register baby Melody, the space suit girl or Mels as Timelord in anyway at all. Also, nor did either Tenth Doctor register the Timelord in Donna before she completed her transformation into being part-Timelord, even though that would have been in her right from the meta-crisis.

Now, to go even further back, look at Human Nature, where to suppress his Timelord identity, the Tenth Doctor had to completely rewrite his DNA to human. That tells us other species, like the one the Family come from, also have ia nose for a Timelord. Again, this is proven in Utopia when the Doctor cannot clock the Master in human form.

This has all implied that while human/Timelord DNA mixing is incredibly dangerous and messy, the human element somehow creates a successive barrier that hides Timelord DNA from other Timelords and species sensitive to them. Perhaps we are the only species able to do this, hence their interest in us...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wow - I actually understood all of that!! :)
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprisingly much of it is covered by Mawdryn Undead, as others have pointed out. Davison's Doctor is on the verge of using all his remaining regenerative energy to cure his assistants and makes the comment that doing so would make him cease to be a Time Lord. If you obey that bit of continuity then during none of the previous appearances by River Song has she been a Time Lord, even if she was one prior to the events of Let's Kill Hitler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, but does 'giving him the rest of her regenerations' mean he's 'topped his account up' and they won't have a problem in one more regenerations time ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly, it's possible post-LKH that in using the last of her lives to save the Doctor, she purged the remaining elements of her DNA that made her in anyway, physically Timelord, so the River Song we seen so far would appear simply human to the Doctor.

Also interesting to note, the Doctor didn't register baby Melody, the space suit girl or Mels as Timelord in anyway at all. Also, nor did either Tenth Doctor register the Timelord in Donna before she completed her transformation into being part-Timelord, even though that would have been in her right from the meta-crisis.

Now, to go even further back, look at Human Nature, where to suppress his Timelord identity, the Tenth Doctor had to completely rewrite his DNA to human. That tells us other species, like the one the Family come from, also have ia nose for a Timelord. Again, this is proven in Utopia when the Doctor cannot clock the Master in human form.

This has all implied that while human/Timelord DNA mixing is incredibly dangerous and messy, the human element somehow creates a successive barrier that hides Timelord DNA from other Timelords and species sensitive to them. Perhaps we are the only species able to do this, hence their interest in us...

Hi Springheel - how are you? :)

In relation to the Tenth Doctor not being able to detect the timelord in Donna post metacrisis.

If I seem to remember correctly, the Master seemed able to detect Donna in EoT2 and it was strongly indicated that he knew she was Timelord (the Doctor's comment being 'you didn't think I'd leave my best friend defenceless, did you?' (or words to that effect)).

I do agree though that it appears that mixing Human and Gallifreyan Timelord DNA is hazardous (Melody's regeneration into her River incarnation looked a lot more painful than a Gallifreyan regeneration) and that the Human element does appear to mask the 'Timelordiness'.