Dr Who just got to complicated!!

VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone explain the Hitler episode?

In MY opinion SM has ruined the show and RTD was better! I think Dr Who should get the axe if it's not going back to the better day's.

Once again that is MY opinion b4 everyone starts having a go saying "Dr Who the bes show bla bla bla"

Can someone explain Lets Kill Hitler?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VIP101 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the Hitler episode?

In MY opinion SM has ruined the show and RTD was better! I think Dr Who should get the axe if it's not going back to the better day's.

Once again that is MY opinion b4 everyone starts having a go saying "Dr Who the bes show bla bla bla"

Can someone explain Lets Kill Hitler?

What part do you need explaining? and I am not being sarcastic, I just mean, which part got you confused? was it the Melody issue?
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisybee79 wrote: »
    What part do you need explaining? and I am not being sarcastic, I just mean, which part got you confused? was it the Melody issue?

the part where River was amy's friend then turned into River but then wasnt River i did not get?
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    the part where River was amy's friend then turned into River but then wasnt River i did not get?

Because from her perspective she has only been known as Mels. She has never heard the name River Song until The Doctor tells her. This is her first proper meeting with The Doctor. So going forward we now know the twist is that she changes her name to River Song because The Doctor tells her that is her identity, because from The Doctor's perspective he knew her as River Song before he knew her as Mels.

Hope that makes sense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't honestly thing its complicated, I'm happy I understand exactly whats going on. I do think the current plot is veering towards feeling slightly contrived, but thats a slightly different thing.

In my humble oppion both the TRD and Moff era's have had their fair share of brilliant episodes, somen crap and some mediocrity but overall they have both done a god job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mels was Melody, she said it took her years to find them and basically inserted herself as Amy's best friend and grew up with them, maybe because she wanted to be near her parents and most likely because hanging with them was the best bet to find the Doctor, who she has been programmed to kill-remember the child taken to be made into a weapon?

So she follows them and meets the Doctor for the first time but stuff happens before she gets to kill him, and she gets shot, thus regenerating and everyone realising she is in fact Melody. she is very much Melody, not the older version of River who has had all those adventures yet.

So now in the familiar form we know, she does the deed of killing the Doctor, but when caught and consequently witnessing the Doctor's ability to care, and confused by the references to River, when he asks for her help she gives it, and whatever he whispers triggers further curiosity/feelings.. She sees that he cares a great deal for River and (her confusingly) and when shown that she is in fact who he refers to as River, this instigates a big emotional shift in her and this sets the River we know her as in motion because she takes a huge gamble and saves his life, starting her on the road to being the River we are acquainted with.

Sorry-tried to do this justice, not sure if I did. :o
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At that point, Mels was still the assassin that madame K had trained to kill the doctor.

It wasn't until after she had done so that she realised there was something more to the doctor and what they meant to each other. We can only guess what the doctor whispered to her but a lot of people think it was something along the lines of tell River I love her.

Then after he "died" and Amy showed Mels who River was she realised that this River Song person that the doctor kept mentioning was her. And that he loved her and he really was not this monster that Madame K most likely made him out to be.

So she sacrificed her remaining regenerations to bring him back. She no longer wanted to be Melody the assassin and instead became River Song.

That's my take on it anyway. Don't see what was so complicated about it.
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mels was Melody, she said it took her years to find them and basically inserted herself as Amy's best friend and grew up with them, maybe because she wanted to be near her parents and most likely because hanging with them was the best bet to find the Doctor, who she has been programmed to kill-remember the child taken to be made into a weapon?

So she follows them and meets the Doctor for the first time but stuff happens before she gets to kill him, and she gets shot, thus regenerating and everyone realising she is in fact Melody. she is very much Melody, not the older version of River who has had all those adventures yet.

So now in the familiar form we know, she does the deed of killing the Doctor, but when caught and consequently witnessing the Doctor's ability to care, and confused by the references to River, when he asks for her help she gives it, and whatever he whispers triggers further curiosity/feelings.. She sees that he cares a great deal for River and (her confusingly) and when shown that she is in fact who he refers to as River, this instigates a big emotional shift in her and this sets the River we know her as in motion because she takes a huge gamble and saves his life, starting her on the road to being the River we are acquainted with.

I kind of understood

I think im gonna give up on DR Who
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of understood

Oh no! This was the big explainy ep-next week looks more of a one off.

Don't give up! It's awesome. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Looks right to me, nicely put :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of understood

It's only complicated because of the mid-season break, if it followed straight on it probably would have made sense.

In the episode before the break we learnt:

1) Amy and Rory's baby was going to grow up to be River Song.

2) The baby was kidnapped by The Silence to be trained and turned into a weapon to kill the Doctor.

3) The baby is part time lord as a result of being conceived while the TARDIS was in the vortex

We've also known for a very long time that River has done something in her past which she regrets but hadn't happened yet from our point of view (or the Doctors timeline).

This episode is where it all fitted together and we finally found out what River had done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Looks right to me, nicely put :)

aww thanks. On repeat viewings I love this ep more and more.

The Doctor begging Amy and Rory to help their own kid is so sad!! That they need telling.:(

The Doctor really was River's only hope, and she his.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay23Sx wrote: »
    It's only complicated because of the mid-season break, if it followed straight on it probably would have made sense.

In the episode before the break we learnt:

1) Amy and Rory's baby was going to grow up to be River Song.

2) The baby was kidnapped by The Silence to be trained and turned into a weapon to kill the Doctor.

3) The baby is part time lord as a result of being conceived while the TARDIS was in the vortex

We've also known for a very long time that River has done something in her past which she regrets but hadn't happened yet from our point of view (or the Doctors timeline).

This episode is where it all fitted together and we finally found out what River had done.

I don't think we did, or at least not properly. Her being the impossible astronaut is way too easy for Moffat
  • ZariusZarius Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    I kind of understood

Then you were never a real fan in the first place, good riddence, leave DW to people who are intelligent enough to appreciate it, as the MAJORITY are.

My five year old understood this episode better than you did, think about that
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im kind of confused by the fact that some people dont understand what happened, its perfectly easy to understand, I thought the only people who wouldnt get it would be children under 7 or people with an IQ under 60.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people really have to resort to throwing insults at the op?
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zarius wrote: »
    Then you were never a real fan in the first place, good riddence, leave DW to people who are intelligent enough to appreciate it, as the MAJORITY are.

AdzPower wrote: »
    Im kind of confused by the fact that some people dont understand what happened, its perfectly easy to understand, I thought the only people who wouldnt get it would be children under 7 or people with an IQ under 60.
    I think you guys both have a great future in the Diplomatic Corps.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Zarius wrote: »

Sorry but I think thats a little bit harsh. The OP has the right to their opinion and if they want to give up on watching Doctor Who then that is up to them. I have found certain episodes confusing and at times completely lost (not this one though) and we don't all grasp the concept first time around.

To suggest that someone who didn't follow or understand the episode (the OP may not have watched Doctor Who for long and seen all of River Song's appearances so I can understand the confusion) is not intelligent is just plain rude.

OP - I do hope that you don't give up on Doctor Who but continue to watch. Many posters have given helpful answers to your questions - read posts on the forum and I'm sure you'll understand whats happening - thats what I do anyway when I get confused;)

Incidently whilst your 5 year old may have understood it, my 8 year old was completely confused
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Do people really have to resort to throwing insults at the op?

:(

It's that sort of thing that makes those curious or unsure run from these boards.

Fandom should be inclusive not exclusive.:(
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    It really hasn't got too complicated at all.

There are still unanswered questions - not complications.

It has just got harder to watch and post on forums at the same time, that is all. Full attention is needed to watch now. Which I personally feel is a good thing.

BTW - I was half-cut whilst watching (at least near the end... I didn't realise I could get through a bottle of wine in 45 minutes!), yet still fully understood...
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It really hasn't got too complicated at all.

There are still unanswered questions - not complications.

It has just got harder to watch and post on forums at the same time, that is all. Full attention is needed to watch now. Which I personally feel is a good thing.

I have never understood how people can do that, continually take time out from watching a fast moving plot to type some random comment on a message board, then complain that they don't understand whats going on and blame it on the writer! It's bizarre behaviour.
  • temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Step 1

Invest in the story being told and pay attention

Step 2

Dont think about anything that has not been yet been explained. Answers have not been given for a reason and with a little patience all the major plot points will have a resolution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(

It's that sort of thing that makes those curious or unsure run from these boards.

Fandom should be inclusive not exclusive.:(

I do agree but it gets so amazingly tiresome when there is a new thread everyday by people claiming it's too complicated for them, when in reality they just haven't paid enough attention to things that were going on in the episode.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try watching the previous episode. The two are a two-parter after all.
    If you still do not understand it then I'm afraid there is no help for you.

Don't stop watching! The next 4 episodes won't have much story-arc in them and will be more or less stand-alone.

I have noticed this and please do not take it as an insult. I'm still in school and so are most of my friends. Of my friends who watch Doctor Who, the ones who understand it, are in general, in a higher streamed class and the ones who don't, aren't. From my observations alone, I have concluded that there is a correlation between understanding the show and intelligence.
    Now, I'm probably wildly wrong, but this is what I have observed.

There is also the possibility that whoever is confused isn't paying enough attention. In that case, of course you are confused.

Edit: You may want to replace "to complicated" with "too complicated"
    *runs*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree but it gets so amazingly tiresome when there is a new thread everyday by people claiming it's too complicated for them, when in reality they just haven't paid enough attention to things that were going on in the episode.

I understand it gets tiresome, but I don't spend a huge amounts on these boards only when eps come on and lurk, so I tend to take them at face value I guess.

I just think answering rather than insulting works better, otherwise all fans get tarred with the elitist tag, and at the end of the day its a tea time Saturday night sci fi romp about a man in a blue box. Much as I adore it, I don't equate those who don't follow as I do with being stupid.

My mum is hugely intelligent and Quantum Leap baffled the hell out of her no matter how simple the bloody concept. She just couldn't get that we were seeing Sam but they were seeing whoever he was being-sigh, it still haunts me.:D So I guess the swapping faces confusion makes sense to me. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try watching the previous episode. The two are a two-parter after all.
    If you still do not understand it then I'm afraid there is no help for you.

Don't stop watching! The next 4 episodes won't have much story-arc in them and will be more or less stand-alone.

I have noticed this and please do not take it as an insult. I'm still in school and so are most of my friends. Of my friends who watch Doctor Who, the ones who understand it, are in general, in a higher streamed class and the ones who don't, aren't. From my observations alone, I have concluded that there is a correlation between understanding the show and intelligence.
    Now, I'm probably wildly wrong, but this is what I have observed.

There is also the possibility that whoever is confused isn't paying enough attention. In that case, of course you are confused.

Edit: You may want to replace "to complicated" with "too complicated"
    *runs*

:rolleyes:

Come on. When ever you have to preface something with don't take this as an insult- you really should think long and hard about what follows that statement.

Sometimes it's not about being clever, it's about familiarity with narrative styles, similar shows, the genre in general, and those of us that are fans of sci fi in general often make intuitive leaps and fill in gaps that others don't have similar experience with. That doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed, just that concepts aren't as obvious if they are completely new to a viewer. Yes I know regeneration is familiar but not in another character normally and not usually as someone entirely new into someone old! If that makes sense?