Getting used to artificial sweetener

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    Which was denied for years until the company who made it had his best mate become president then it got approved? and the because USA approved it the rest of the world followed suit? Yeah thats the one....

If you think you need to switch to diet products, you just masking the issue, you consuming to much of it.

Address that issue and you will not need to replace regular for these vile tasting diet products.

Did you watch that BBC documenty the truth about low fat products they did a test that showed those who drank the diet drinks ate more than those who had the regular ones with sugar in because the body felt deprived and less satisified.

Or diabetic and looking for something other than water to drink.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    I get terrible headaches from sweeteners but still drink stuff with them in for the low cal intake.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which was denied for years until the company who made it had his best mate become president then it got approved? and the because USA approved it the rest of the world followed suit? Yeah thats the one....

If you think you need to switch to diet products, you just masking the issue, you consuming to much of it.

Address that issue and you will not need to replace regular for these vile tasting diet products.

Did you watch that BBC documenty the truth about low fat products they did a test that showed those who drank the diet drinks ate more than those who had the regular ones with sugar in because the body felt deprived and less satisified.

Link?

Oh, and I've been drinking diet pop for years and I've never been an overeater or had a weight problem.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,782
    Forum Member

Show me the evidence that says aspartame is bad for you.
  • WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Show me the evidence that says aspartame is bad for you.

I did some research into this. It appears that when approval for aspartame was first sought, that sloppy science was submitted. However, when investigations were taken further, it was found that while the original science was sloppy, if it had been done properly, the conclusions that aspartame is safe for human consumption would still have been supported. Aspartame is said to be one of the most studied food additives in human history. And whether or not the original applicant was dodgy, it's been far too widely used and studied since then for serious health issues to have remained unknown.

I understand that there's a certain "fight the power/man" aspect to aspartame, and have drunken very little of it even after changing my mind about it. But the evidence that its harmful just isn't there. And people have been looking for evidence of harm for decades now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silver spoon with pink lid is the only one I can use.
    that new one made from plants is just disgusting even a pinch tastes like 10 spoons of sugar in there.
    Forum Member
    moonburn wrote: »
    The silver spoon with pink lid is the only one I can use.
    that new one made from plants is just disgusting even a pinch tastes like 10 spoons of sugar in there.

That's Stevia. I've heard that some people really don't like it. There are Stevia sweentened drinks available from Ocado, but the reviews put me right off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I did some research into this. It appears that when approval for aspartame was first sought, that sloppy science was submitted. However, when investigations were taken further, it was found that while the original science was sloppy, if it had been done properly, the conclusions that aspartame is safe for human consumption would still have been supported. Aspartame is said to be one of the most studied food additives in human history. And whether or not the original applicant was dodgy, it's been far too widely used and studied since then for serious health issues to have remained unknown.

I understand that there's a certain "fight the power/man" aspect to aspartame, and have drunken very little of it even after changing my mind about it. But the evidence that its harmful just isn't there. And people have been looking for evidence of harm for decades now.

That's so true! :D
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am stuck with full fat everything, any artificial sweeteners turn my guts to liquid within 5 minutes of consuming it. The only thing I can get away with is chewing gum and only wriggleys extra, and only one piece.
    the reaction is so quick I have to carry Imodium instants with me and always double check when eating out that my drinks aren't made with diet mixers or desserts don't have artificial sweeteners in them.
    it's a nightmare but I know that I am not alone with this problem. My local uni wanted people to volunteer for a study on the effect of artificial sweeteners on more than one occasion. I have been tempted ( briefly) but changed my mind on the thought of not getting a placebo.
    Forum Member
    It seems that not drinking too much is useful. My first drink of the day doesn't taste so bad. Repeated drinks start getting a bit sickening.
    Forum Member
    Progress is slow, but I'm getting more used to it. It seems a Sucralose/Acesulfame-K mix is the best sweetener for me, but it doesn't taste quite as good as I remember full sugar soft drinks tasting. I haven't dared try baking with artificial sweeteners though.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An interesting video on the sweetener Aspartame

http://www.personalgrowthcourses.net/video/aspartame_dangers

Consuming it is your choice, but for me I choose not to!
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why bother with any fizzy soft drinks.

just drink water, or maybe a nice cordial.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,485
    Forum Member
    I can taste artificial sweeteners immediately in anything - it is just a nasty chemical taste and sweet but with a hint of .............???
    Just can't tolerate them at all
    Forum Member
    An interesting video on the sweetener Aspartame

http://www.personalgrowthcourses.net/video/aspartame_dangers

Consuming it is your choice, but for me I choose not to!

Do you have any robust scientific evidence that aspartame is dangerous? Because there is a lot of scientific evidence that it's safe.

This pattern has repeated a few times on this thread. Claims are made that aspartame is dangerous, someone asks for evidence, no evidence is forthcoming, then a bit later on the same claims are repeated.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried to cut down altogether. If I want a treat like a Malibu or brandy and Coke I'll have the proper stuff. Rather have sugar than a load of artificial chemicals in me, plus it's a treat so may as well go for it properly :)
  • fatsifatsi Posts: 10,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I can taste artificial sweeteners immediately in anything - it is just a nasty chemical taste and sweet but with a hint of .............???
    Just can't tolerate them at all

I'm the opposite now...can't tolerate sugar in my drinks! I have a sweetener in my coffee, for soft drinks I generally have squash but when I do have fizzy drinks its diet coke as I don't like the taste of normal coke and I found it left my teeth feeling furry :o:)
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    Do you have any robust scientific evidence that aspartame is dangerous? Because there is a lot of scientific evidence that it's safe.

This pattern has repeated a few times on this thread. Claims are made that aspartame is dangerous, someone asks for evidence, no evidence is forthcoming, then a bit later on the same claims are repeated.

Exactly. The only links i've ever seen are to crackpot websites run by 'Doctors' in the U.S.
  • goldenfacegoldenface Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20943509

I'd steer clear just to be on the safe side.
    Forum Member
    goldenface wrote: »

The article itself says there are many reasons why this could be true, it would assume that all sections of society and types of people drink the same amount for a start.
    Forum Member

I had already read that article. It doesn't control for other factors potentially correllated with the consumption of diet drinks. E.g. obesity, diabetes, etc., which may affect the chance of experiencing depression.

What we get with artificial sweeteners is many 'might possibly cause harm but there's no hard evidence' claims. However being overweight is a known and very serious health risk. I think it's best to concentrate on the known serious health risks.
  • goldenfacegoldenface Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More evidence against artificial sweeteners.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

The best advice is to just eat natural foods but eat in moderation.

There is no need to shove chemicals in your body in order to lose weight.
    Forum Member

Can you summarise it for us? Goes on a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No where in that article does it say artificial sweeteners are dangerous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The theory is that the sweet sensation of artificial sweeteners triggers Cephalic Phase Insulin Release (CPIR), which acts to lower, if only nominally, your blood sugar, which in turn makes you hungry, which forces you to eat and gain weight. But that's all it is: a theory, which seems to be based largely on a correlation, which does not imply causation. There simply isn't enough research to prove or disprove it at the moment.

However, to counter your link, this one suggests aspartame does not trigger the response. http://www.ajcn.org/content/82/5/1011.abstract

And then there's this: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/15/us-diet-soda-idUSTRE73E4YH20110415

Diet soda and other artificially-sweetened drinks - previously implicated in raising the chance of developing diabetes - are not guilty, suggests a new study from Harvard University researchers.

When nothing else was accounted for, men who drank a lot of diet soda and other diet drinks were also more likely to get diabetes. But once researchers took into account men's weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol, those drinks were not related to diabetes risk.

That finding is "confirming the idea that it's really these differences between people who choose to, versus don't choose to, drink artificially-sweetened beverages" that is related to diabetes, Dr. Rebecca Brown, an endocrinologist at the National Institutes of Health, told Reuters Health.

"People who are at risk for diabetes or obesity ... those may be the people who are more likely to choose artificial sweeteners because they may be more likely to be dieting," said Brown...

My pancreas stopped producing insulin when I was four years old, which at the time really limited the things I could eat and drink, so artificial sweeteners helped to make things a bit more interesting. When it comes down to it, the healthiest thing we can do is just to drink water, but if you ask me, life is too short for boring beverages.