Trials are too repetitive

After a while the sight of cockroaches and other insects crawling over someone during a trial doesn't have the same effect :yawn: The last time I felt :eek: was when David Haye was down the well and he put his hand through a hole and there was a large rat inside which bit him :eek::eek:

And padlocks and number combinations isn't the most exciting thing to watch from a viewers point of view!

Problem is the contestants know what to expect from previous years - essentially they know there's no chance of any harm.

Maybe they should set the show in a different terrain.

Comments

• BlueStreakBlueStreak Posts: 11,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an arena, possibly throw in a few lions?

That should get us jumping out of our seats in anticipation LOL!

:D:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I remember they used to have people hanging off helicopters on a ladder think it was Joe Pasquale. Now that was a proper trial
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't we have more skill based trials?

Dumping a load of insects and rats on people does get boring after a while
  • doormousedoormouse Posts: 2,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember they used to have people hanging off helicopters on a ladder think it was Joe Pasquale. Now that was a proper trial

That was good, nerve-racking.

I quite liked the 'helmet' one too, particularly when they put spiders in *shudder* - how come there haven't been many spiders in it this year?
  • Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to see the live spider in mouth task........every time

then I won't mind Joey being voted all the time
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trials this year have all been "a box with bugs in it".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Vincent and Annabel's trial where they had to put insects in their mouth?? I thought that was pretty shocking!
  • Purple MangoPurple Mango Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh bugs always making an appearance gets a bit :yawn: I quite like the physical and mental tasks over the generic creepy crawly bugs in your face tasks.
    I also prefer when a pair have to do the trials and work together. Just because its not all about that one person and sometimes they get lost in translation and it goes belly up, can be hilarious.

In particular I loved Gino and Stuarts 'slip n slide'.....''STUART where are you?''
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Louise_ wrote: »
    What about Vincent and Annabel's trial where they had to put insects in their mouth?? I thought that was pretty shocking!

I missed that episode! Going by the feedback on here it sounded quite gross.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one thing I want to know is where do they get all these cockroaches from? I can picture some bloke down the bottom of his garden as soon as the show ends collecting them for the next years series.

By the looks of them, that's how they found some of this years contestants as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My memory is that in the early series they used to have ONE eating trial, and maybe one bugs in a box trial. They used to have a lot more physical trials, eg stepping stones high up in the air etc, and just more variety. Everything seems to be a bit formulaic and on the cheap these days. How many times have we seen Joey's 'person in dark tunnel with insects' trial? 50? The mini-trials for treats are actually better than the main trials.
  • sparklysheilasparklysheila Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Yes that Carole Thatcher one in the jeep was good - a bit more of that sort of thing would make a nice change
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this show is making the same mistake as Big Brother by focusing so much on relatively extreme things that seemed popular with viewers that the show loses some of the qualities that mattered in less obvious ways.

But perhaps there will be more variety once it's no longer viewers who decide who does the trials.

The voting viewers often seem more interested in putting one particular celeb through repeated ordeals than in seeing how a bunch of them handle different challenges.
  • EvannahEvannah Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Teacake wrote: »
    I missed that episode! Going by the feedback on here it sounded quite gross.

Yeah, there was a bit where Vincent had to put a spider in his mouth. Apparently, if you shake it inside a glass, it rolls up into a ball. But that didn't happen. So when they tipped the glass into Vincent's mouth the spider just went haywire and was crawling all over his face. Spiders scare the living daylights out of me. It was horrific to watch!
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I think this show is making the same mistake as Big Brother by focusing so much on relatively extreme things that seemed popular with viewers that the show loses some of the qualities that mattered in less obvious ways.

But perhaps there will be more variety once it's no longer viewers who decide who does the trials.

The voting viewers often seem more interested in putting one particular celeb through repeated ordeals than in seeing how a bunch of them handle different challenges.

Watching it last night I was thinking that it's lost it's way the same way that Big Brother did. Instead of the interesting characters and great conversations it's all about shock factor and who'll get their bits out. As far as the tasks go, the tasks that involved skill and teamwork were great entertainment. All the insect, rats, fish guts, etc., just get fast forwarded through now.........:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:
  • strictlyliciousstrictlylicious Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After a while the sight of cockroaches and other insects crawling over someone during a trial doesn't have the same effect :yawn: The last time I felt :eek: was when David Haye was down the well and he put his hand through a hole and there was a large rat inside which bit him :eek::eek:

And padlocks and number combinations isn't the most exciting thing to watch from a viewers point of view!

Problem is the contestants know what to expect from previous years - essentially they know there's no chance of any harm.

Maybe they should set the show in a different terrain.

Totally agree MrT. On variations how many bugs can you eat; how long can you take being submerged in bugs; how long can you take being covered by bugs in the dark.

There needs to be a lot more imagination in the tasks conception. I just fast forward until they have been awarded their stars zzz...
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure the more physical, less bug related tasks come later in the series, when the public don't vote for them.
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeh bugs always making an appearance gets a bit :yawn: I quite like the physical and mental tasks over the generic creepy crawly bugs in your face tasks.
    I also prefer when a pair have to do the trials and work together. Just because its not all about that one person and sometimes they get lost in translation and it goes belly up, can be hilarious.

In particular I loved Gino and Stuarts 'slip n slide'.....''STUART where are you?''

I agree.:yawn:

I quite like the odd funny one too. Jimmy White being dropped in to the vat of gooey liquid every time he got a question wrong had me chuckling.:D

Quite a tame task, but his facial expressions and the simplicity of it was good:)
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    My memory is that in the early series they used to have ONE eating trial, and maybe one bugs in a box trial. They used to have a lot more physical trials, eg stepping stones high up in the air etc, and just more variety. Everything seems to be a bit formulaic and on the cheap these days. How many times have we seen Joey's 'person in dark tunnel with insects' trial? 50? The mini-trials for treats are actually better than the main trials.

Agreed. It was interesting to see how the duo's got along when working towards a common goal - David/Steve were humourous together on the washing clothes task whilst Kian/Matthew seemed a bit tense.

When Amy done that task in the air there was nothing exciting about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. It was interesting to see how the duo's got along when working towards a common goal - David/Steve were humourous together on the washing clothes task whilst Kian/Matthew seemed a bit tense.

She did very well, but no, it wasn't knicker gripping at all.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's sadly true. Apart from the bit at the end when they suddenly took the floor away - and I would have needed dry trousers myself - it was a terribly dull task. Who thought someone tinkering around with combination locks would make good tv?
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it last night I was thinking that it's lost it's way the same way that Big Brother did. Instead of the interesting characters and great conversations it's all about shock factor and who'll get their bits out. As far as the tasks go, the tasks that involved skill and teamwork were great entertainment. All the insect, rats, fish guts, etc., just get fast forwarded through now.........:yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

I liked the skill and teamwork ones the best, like when they have to balance each other on something in order to reach the stars.

Even if they aren't able to think up completely new trials -- and there are, after all, only so many varieties that would make sense in the show -- there are enough trials in the show's own past that could inspire them, and enough tasks and trials in other shows, that it shouldn't be hard for them to do better at devising a variety of trials, if they wanted to do better.

What do they call -- or what did they used to call -- the ones where a pair of celebs had to follow clues or a map to a chest that they they had to retrieve from a height, or from locks, or in some other way solve a puzzle or problem to get it; and then they'd carry it back to camp where it would be opened to find an A or B question that had to to be answered correctly to get a nice treat? I'm sure there was a name for them, so that we didn't have to call them mini-trials for treats ... although I have to say I kinda like the alliterative sound of "trials for treats" or "treats trials".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I liked the skill and teamwork ones the best, like when they have to balance each other on something in order to reach the stars.

Even if they aren't able to think up completely new trials -- and there are, after all, only so many varieties that would make sense in the show -- there are enough trials in the show's own past that could inspire them, and enough tasks and trials in other shows, that it shouldn't be hard for them to do better at devising a variety of trials, if they wanted to do better.

What do they call -- or what did they used to call -- the ones where a pair of celebs had to follow clues or a map to a chest that they they had to retrieve from a height, or from locks, or in some other way solve a puzzle or problem to get it; and then they'd carry it back to camp where it would be opened to find an A or B question that had to to be answered correctly to get a nice treat? I'm sure there was a name for them, so that we didn't have to call them mini-trials for treats ... although I have to say I kinda like the alliterative sound of "trials for treats" or "treats trials".

Was it The Celebrity Chest? I can't think now.

:)
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did say the tasks were going to be harder this year. Not noticed it so far.
  • greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find all the tasks involving bugs and insects very boring, they're all the same, in fact I'm finding this years show quite boring.they're all too well fed, they've got cigarettes and make up. Where's the deprivation. If they don't change the formula next year they'll lose a lot of viewers .