Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• Options
    Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember if this has been cleared up...but does this mean that leona now can't promote one more sleep anymore? Just would be a shame to not promote it as it could do really well again...

She could still promote it, she has a writing credit on it, so makes royalties from it. I personally think she would be silly not to, she'll hopefully have the ambition to try and make it a classic.

I don't think her label would mind too much, as it keeps Leona's name out their every year potentially, but we'll need to see.

I doubt we will get another single from the album though.

Actually look at Mariah, she still promotes All I Want For Christmas every year, yet she left that label years ago.
  • Options
    Jack_Clarke2Jack_Clarke2 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    She could still promote it, she has a writing credit on it, so makes royalties from it. I personally think she would be silly not to, she'll hopefully have the ambition to try and make it a classic.

I don't think her label would mind too much, as it keeps Leona's name out their every year potentially, but we'll need to see.

I doubt we will get another single from the album though.

Actually look at Mariah, she still promotes All I Want For Christmas every year, yet she left that label years ago.

Yeah that's true :) I think it would be smart to at least push one more sleep again this christmas, as you say it will keep her name out there and look good on paper if it charts again etc
  • Options
    jwatsonjwatson Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I'm very excited about the move to Island but a little scared too. I guess its like we are going into the unknown with Leona. Does this mean we'll never hear bleeding love from her again? I guess it could be a good thing to phase the song out for her but damn I loved that song. Shes going to need an album asap if she plans on doing any live performances and Sony owns her songs. Hopefully they don't own Happy. Its a very personal song for me and only Leona can sing it.
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Just realised its June 6th today! :eek: So close to the movie coming out now and soundtrack :D
  • Options
    amo1980amo1980 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwatson wrote: »
    I'm very excited about the move to Island but a little scared too. I guess its like we are going into the unknown with Leona. Does this mean we'll never hear bleeding love from her again? I guess it could be a good thing to phase the song out for her but damn I loved that song. Shes going to need an album asap if she plans on doing any live performances and Sony owns her songs. Hopefully they don't own Happy. Its a very personal song for me and only Leona can sing it.

I know at the moment we don't know the fine details of what the label change means... but there are plenty of examples of singers moving labels without it affecting the back catalogue that they perform... i see no reason that this would be different for Leona... think we'll be hearing live performances of Bleeding Love (and Better In Time!!!) for many years to come!!! ;-)
  • Options
    fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Do you guys think they gonna wait until the movie compaign is over and then they'll start with buiding a hype maybe a single? Or they just released the statement that Leona changed the label and that's it ? :)
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to the super talented homies at @eofeofficial for my official merch supply! Rockin this shit on these LA streets. Let's get ready for the american tour #EOfEOfficial
    http://instagram.com/p/o4KFfChkGV/

Not sure if this is Leona related or it's just Dennis working with that rock group

---

Apparently they were in the hospital last week when they went to Vienna lol
    http://instagram.com/p/o4CDw6E2OO/
  • Options
    fallendancerfallendancer Posts: 6,246
    Forum Member
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    Apparently they were in the hospital last week when they went to Vienna lol
    http://instagram.com/p/o4CDw6E2OO/

Leona:
    We need the pic of all of us passed out in the hospital bed @vanessa_ldn

They had fun :D
  • Options
    starlightsstarlights Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Excited for the WOS premier at Leicester square. I hope she updates us on the progress of the album.
  • Options
    Jack_Clarke2Jack_Clarke2 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been feeling really positive and excited these last few days about this label news! I'm hoping it opens up many more opportunities :) however is left me feeling even more desperate to find out about the new album etc
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    GreekFan wrote: »
    So, Arsenal gets Leona...
    And we get this :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4y1JZ7KKMc

Oh I remember her participating in ESC a couple years ago.
  • Options
    StubeStube Posts: 16,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now she's on Universal, a Frank Ocean duet please.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwatson wrote: »

Shes not going to stop singing her songs, she might have to pay when she performs them, but thats it.
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes not going to stop singing her songs, she might have to pay when she performs them, but thats it.

I feel little bit gutted by that though.. Her smash and she has to pay for it :(
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Leona have a publishing deal? I'm not entirely sure if that'll make a difference or if it means she has some sort of ownership over her songs.. but i'm sure she'll still be able to perform her past material, plenty of artists do that have moved labels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    I feel little bit gutted by that though.. Her smash and she has to pay for it :(

I am pretty sure I watched an interview recently where Paul McCartney says he has to pay to perform lots of his songs, even though he wrote them, its strange.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure I watched an interview recently where Paul McCartney says he has to pay to perform lots of his songs, even though he wrote them, its strange.

At one stage Michael Jackson owned the Lennon and McCartney songbook, but I don't know who owns it now. The problem usually arises when the songs you write are owned by a company that then gets taken over.

What happens with each individual performer or writer is dependent upon the terms of the contract they have entered into - this might for instance grant the rights to songs performed or written to someone else, possibly the record company or producer.
  • Options
    kokoskokos Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even biggest Czech radio reported that Leona left Simon and his label naming it "departute of the year" :p They did a mistake though, saying she has signed Syco records, instead of Island LOL :D But it doesn't matter, get that promo Leona!! I hope that the announcement she's switched labels is just part of promo and she did so earlier this year and new music is just round the corner ^_^
  • Options
    Mike91Mike91 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of an artist leaving their label and not being able to perform their old material. EVER.
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe she might have to pay to sing her old songs. How does that work? Doesn't sound very fair, she is still the voice behind it (which was critical to a song like Bleeding Love, not any average pop singer could have pulled it off), and she was still the one who put in the hard work promoting it!
  • Options
    NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think we'll be getting an album in November?
  • Options
    Gobstopper13Gobstopper13 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would the issue not be that when Leona performs one of her old songs, she is generating royalties for Syco? So essentially Island are giving money to Syco, but Leona will continue to get royalties too where she has a writing/production credit.

However, stopping Leona from performing her most famous songs would be very short sighted, unless of course the deal included a buy out of any ownership Syco have of Leona's back catalogue. We won't know unless we know the terms of her contract.

Do we even know how many albums the deal is for, how big the investment is or whether it's international??
  • Options
    starlightsstarlights Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Would the issue not be that when Leona performs one of her old songs, she is generating royalties for Syco? So essentially Island are giving money to Syco, but Leona will continue to get royalties too where she has a writing/production credit.

However, stopping Leona from performing her most famous songs would be very short sighted, unless of course the deal included a buy out of any ownership Syco have of Leona's back catalogue. We won't know unless we know the terms of her contract.

Do we even know how many albums the deal is for, how big the investment is or whether it's international??

It is a international deal, but we still haven't found out the details of it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No it wouldn't be an issue, her new record label aren't going to tell her to stop performing her old songs just because Syco will make some money, thats just petty.

There is definitely no need to worry, she'll 100% be able to sing her songs.

Plus, I am pretty sure anyone can sing any songs if they pay the price, so it will be no different for Leona. She probably paid when she performed Locked Out Of Heaven on tour etc.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't we forgetting something.. it was only last week she was performing old material from Spirit/Echo/GH and clearly this deal has been in the works for a while. I think it'll be fine.
This discussion has been closed.