Family Guy (Season 12, UK Pace, NO SPOILERS)

JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
Forum Member
✭✭
Season 12 starts tonight (20th, July) on BBC3 at 10pm

Last couple of seasons have been a bit hit and miss for me, so hopefully this one will be better.

Don't forget, NO SPOILERS. :)

Comments

• DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame the BBC have spoilt a certain plot for those who didn't know in the lead up (yeah i know not many wouldn't but still, maybe if they showed it closer to US air date it would help)
  • GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These first two episodes were absolute CRAP! There were far too many cutaway gags. Peter's twin was extremely annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couple of chuckles but the rest as you say was dire and odd.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought family guy peaked very early,even after the first few seasons it was becoming very tired.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These first two episodes were absolute CRAP! There were far too many cutaway gags. Peter's twin was extremely annoying.
    Glad it wasn't just me losing my sense of humour. The shopping mall sequence was abysmal and having Peter have a vestigial twin - complete with cutesy, high-pitched, Mr Hanky-esque voice - was such a lazy, un-sophisticated comedic 'device' compared to the subjects it usually mines humour from.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't just me losing my sense of humour. The shopping mall sequence was abysmal and having Peter have a vestigial twin - complete with cutesy, high-pitched, Mr Hanky-esque voice - was such a lazy, un-sophisticated comedic 'device' compared to the subjects it usually mines humour from.

The only line I found funny in the episode was "even though this place is just want straight hallway, let's look at the map"
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    The only line I found funny in the episode was "even though this place is just want straight hallway, let's look at the map"
    Exactly, I thought that was bang-on FG writing, because it's exactly what we all do and we can relate to it. I liked how it had 'You are here. Sniper here', because it's a throwaway gag tinged with dark social commentary. Again, perfect FG stuff. Then Peter gets blasted in 'real time', i.e. not a cut-away that suggests it's fantasy or past event he's recovered from. Next second, he's walking to Sears, not a mark on him. Same gag. Joins a Mad Max-esque tribal gang, next second, back with Lois.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Meh, though I enjoyed the second episode.

Peter needs to be focused on less as a character. He's just not funny anymore. Not that he every really was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did chuckle out loud at the "Hurry Up Shrimp" advert, that ended with the disclaimer ... "We're Not Responsible For Undercooked Shrimp." :D

I too found Peter's twin annoying though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Family Guy would benefit from another break? Give the writers some time out?

PJ
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen all of this as i follow it US pace and I found this season to be one of the funniest.

Only problem was Seth Macfarlane really carried the show this season. Alex Borstein, Mila Kunis and Seth Green who do Lois, Meg and Chris have smaller roles these season with many episodes of them giving little dialogue and smaller screen time. It became the Peter, Brian and Stewie show this season. It's clear that the actors's other projects limited their participation.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it me but did Meg not sound like Milan Kunis at times? Especially the nipple scene when on the boat with Chris?
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two episodes were unfortunately very below average. I just didn't find any paticular interest in them. The second episode was pretty much a poor attempt at humor and came off as more annoying with the inclusion of Peter's vestigial tiwn. Hopefully the next following episodes will be better. I really hope we will see an improvement in this series.

Family Guy really peaked and continued to be very enjoyable from Season 1 to Season 6. But after the first 6 seasons, I feel every episode beyond has been hit and miss so far. Out of the few recent seasons, I think Season 10 was the most decent and was a bit of an improvement but unfortunately, the series is still in a fluctuating state so far.

Hopefully there will also be improvement in the next coming series too.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Was it me but did Meg not sound like Milan Kunis at times? Especially the nipple scene when on the boat with Chris?

I noticed that too.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,260
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed both episodes, and laughed a couple of times.

I preferred the first episode, mostly because the twin got really annoying after a while.
    Forum Member
    I found the twin okay-ish. A bit twee but I assumed that was the intention though.
  • Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    I found the first two episodes to be better than last season, but nowhere close to And then There Were Fewer (which I regard as the last 'best' episode).

Unfortunately, I already know what happens, plus BBCThree went on and completely spoiled it anyway (Well, Part I of it anyway).
  • seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family guy is well past its best, and Seth was right he should have stopped by now, maybe that why he no longer cares how crap its gets.

This series is tried and dull. First three season where its best S4 and S5 will give us a few pieces of gold but the since S7 its been dreadful.
    Forum Member
    FOX won't cancel it though no matter how much it seems to have devolved in quality.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    FOX won't cancel it though no matter how much it seems to have devolved in quality.

Just like The Simpsons.
    Forum Member
    I still enjoy watching both shows, and haven't really noticed a decline in quality. Some episodes are less funny than others, but that's the same for pretty much every season.
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My PVR failed to record the second episode on Sunday, so had to wait for the repeat on Friday.

Thought they were both fairly average, probably slightly preferred the first one.

As this is season 12, I suppose it's expected that some people are getting fed up with it. I don't look forward to new episodes as much as I used to, but think it still has its moments and is worth watching.

Can't remember exactly when I started watching, it was maybe around season 5. Have since bought the season 1-7 boxset and did not think too much of the earlier seasons. Got fed up with Stewie's preoccupation with wanting to kill Lois and some of the traits of other characters were not quite right in comparison to now. Stewie's character is now more chilled and funnier, especially in his interactions with Brian.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weak openers. Silly episodes can have me in stitches but the "Chip" growth one just didn't make me laugh.
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed last nights episodes. I preferred the second one this time.
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3&4 returned to ths standard I expect. I loved Pete's naked joke, with Lois.