Tea Towels

GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a real problem with finding tea towels that soak up liquid properly so they dry things rather than just smearing the water around.

Does anyone have recommendations from experience.

I have fallen for the 'miracle towel' type ones which end up being just useless.

Comments

• surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    Gooby wrote: »
    I have a real problem with finding tea towels that soak up liquid properly so they dry things rather than just smearing the water around.

Does anyone have recommendations from experience.

I have fallen for the 'miracle towel' type ones which end up being just useless.

If you use conditioner when washing your tea towels don't. The same with bath towels. It may make them feel rougher but conditoner helps inhibit water absortion on towels
  • missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always like to boil my tea towels when I buy them and as has been said don't add conditioner to the wash before using them, they have a starch put on them to keep them looking good in the shop which stops them soaking up liquids so you need to get that out of them to start.
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just use paper towel;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I work they have just decided that's a good idea, if you have pans and pots and roasting tims etc it really isn't as the amount you need to use costs a fortune and cannot be good for the planet.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the big 'souvenir' type tea towels that you get in places you visit, work very well. I'm still using some I've had 20 years, and they're faded but do a great job drying. The big white glass cloths, with a colour stripe on them from linen union are perfect for glass as they leave no lint at all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Get ones made of Irish linen. Not the cheapest, but worth it. I think Lakeland sells them. Nothing worse than cheap tea-towels that don't do the job!
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the top tips. The M&S ones do look similar to ones I have tried before but I haven't tried boiling them.
    Will check out Lakeland too.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Some of the ones I have must be twenty years old but most are still in one piece and dry well. Though a few have gotten holes. :o

I have some new ones somewhere - I think I'll boil wash them before I try using them.

Don't use them as often now I have a dishwasher.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    you shouldnt dry the dishes cos of bateria, you should leave them to dry on the draining board..done this in work when i worked in a bakery, years ago..I even dry with tea towels though :o:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great if you have loads of space and time. Quicker mine are put away the better or we look like we have no work tops at all lol
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    Dish towels made from terry towelling are the most absorbent, imo. They may be old-fashioned, but sometimes old is gold. ;)
    surfie wrote: »
    If you use conditioner when washing your tea towels don't. The same with bath towels. It may make them feel rougher but conditoner helps inhibit water absortion on towels
    Have been washing all towels with fab con for decades and never had a problem with absorbancy. Never use a tumble dryer so that may - or may not - have something to do with our experience.