Should Pensioners Pay More Tax?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
A report thinks that pensioners should pay more tax because "in financial terms alone, older people are no longer special."

On the one hand, wealthy pensioners can afford to do a bit more since they're not paying for a mortgage etc. However, they've worked and paid tax for years. They deserve a break! I've no idea what's fairest.

What do you think?

http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/news/2013/april/pensioners-should-pay-more-tax/

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair my folks have more disposable income than ever.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That will be becaus their outgoings have dropped dramatically with no mortgage or children to pay for. It's not a sign of increased income that can be subject to more taxation. Is that the principle of what these Fabian people are saying? People with less to pay out should be paying that in tax instead? :confused:
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    I'd let them off the tax if they just stayed in on pension day.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pensioners are the same as every other age group in terms of variance.

Some are well off, others aren't.

Many will have paid tax all their lives, and planned for old age. I don't see why they should pay any extra.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking their ages into account, most already pay more tax than the rest of the society.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    I thought we all paid tax according to our income. If pensioners earn over a certain rate, they pay tax, if they don't, they don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is state pension taxable?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Pay back for the times they were struggling to bring you up and also paying for a roof over their heads.
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Tax them. They should not be exempt. No more free TV licenses and bus passes. The tax payer shouldn't be forking out for that.
  • josjos Posts: 9,992
    Forum Member
    I'm a pensioner, I have paid tax all my life since the age of 16, we struggled whilst the children were growing up, paid for their time at university, whilst at the same time planning for our retirement.
    Both myself and my husband are still paying tax on our pensions and on the income from our hard put by savings and investments.
    The return on our savings has been greatly reduced since 2008 due to low interest rates.
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Pensioners generally spend more than they save so I'd be worried that a squeeze on their disposable income might not be great news for the economy anyway.
    Forum Member
    Is state pension taxable?

YES.................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Tax them. They should not be exempt. No more free TV licenses and bus passes. The tax payer shouldn't be forking out for that.

Pensioners are taxed. They pay tax on savings interest, they pay VAT, they run cars with excise duty attached, fuel duty, duty on cigarettes etc etc. Income tax is not the only method of taxation.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They are not exempt!

The old age pension is taxable although pensioners do have slightly higher personnel allowances.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Pensioners are taxed. They pay tax on savings interest, they pay VAT, they run cars with excise duty attached, fuel duty, duty on cigarettes etc etc. Income tax is not the only method of taxation.

Not to mention that many of them will have paid income tax for 40-odd years prior to retiring, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jos wrote: »
    YES.................

Ok thanks.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and dad scrimped and saved all their working lives and although they do have more disposable income now, I don't grudge them a penny of it. They worked hard and paid their way and they deserve not to have to worry about having enough to pay the bills in their later years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    No, they should pay the tax correctly due, which depends on their income.

If their income is below the higher rate threshold, they pay the standard rate, if their income is above they pay the higher rate. Same as everyone else has to.

They do have higher personal allowances, but they aren't hugely different.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The report found that 80 percent of middle-income retired couples own their home outright. In contrast, the average 25 to 34 year old on the same income is paying rent, unable to get onto the property ladder.
    So what they seem to be saying is that pensioners, who have worked hard to pay off their mortgages and now own their own homes, should be penalised for that - and they also appear to be attempting to compare them to a 25-34 year old.

Pensioners having nothing to do with whether a 25-34 year old can or cannot get onto the property ladder, unless somebody can prove to me otherwise.

It all seems rather bizarre, almost as if they are blaming pensioners for the woes of the world today and the effect upon the younger generation.

If a pensioner is fortunate to own their house outright it's not because some lump sum and a free bus pass has enabled that to happen, it's because they have worked for a considerable period of time to pay off a mortgage.

Is it time now to blame the pensioners for the state of the nation?
    Forum Member
    They are not exempt!

The old age pension is taxable although pensioners do have slightly higher personnel allowances.

Not for much longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not exempt!

Which was addressed in the last budget and is now frozen until the rate for the rest of the population catches up.

Out of the one in six of the population that are pensioners 4.4 million pay income tax, this is not however taken into consideration when the benefit bill is being discussed on here
    Forum Member
    The reason younger people can't get on the property ladder is because house prices were allowed, ne're encouraged, to escalate out of all proportion by Gordon Brown.

Many pensioners now, after raising their children, give them cash out of their savings to help them with a deposit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    So what they seem to be saying is that pensioners, who have worked hard to pay off their mortgages and now own their own homes, should be penalised for that - and they also appear to be attempting to compare them to a 25-34 year old.

Pensioners having nothing to do with whether a 25-34 year old can or cannot get onto the property ladder, unless somebody can prove to me otherwise.

It all seems rather bizarre, almost as if they are blaming pensioners for the woes of the world today and the effect upon the younger generation.

If a pensioner is fortunate to own their house outright it's not because some lump sum and a free bus pass has enabled that to happen, it's because they have worked for a considerable period of time to pay off a mortgage.

Exactly, I 100% agree. Unfortunately, the mentality in this country for many is to look at those who have something, wonder why they don't have it too, and thus demand it be taken from them.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Exactly, I 100% agree. Unfortunately, the mentality in this country for many is to look at those who have something, wonder why they don't have it too, and thus demand it be taken from them.

I agree, it is almost looked down on if you have qualifications and a decent income. It seems you are considered greedy and selfish for working hard for a better lifestyle and to be able to afford that little bit extra in retirement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »

Well the press has blamed the unemployed, the disabled and the low paid. Pensioners are just the latest target.