Options

Why The Hate For Joey?

I've seen Towie etc and I've been watching I'm A Celeb. Joey seems to be hated on here, but I'm just curious as to why? He seems like a nice enough guy to me and pretty harmless. Hasn't been nasty or horrible to anyone. Seems like a happy, fun, harmless, young guy who is enjoying himself.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    His inconsistencies make him appear deceitful and that's a massive turn off.
  • Options
    fischfisch Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Cos we are fed up of only seeing him thats why
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't hate him at all. He seems harmless enough ... it's just boredom. Bored of seeing him do all the trials. That's not his fault, but it doesn't stop it being boring.
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    Nobody hates Joey - in fact he's probably a really nice (if slightly boring) chap. Its the way the show is forcing him and him alone down our throats.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He get's bitten.........a lot.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he pretends that he is thicker than he actually is.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't hate him either. I dislike the way being stupid is seen as something to advance his career and I strongly dislike the way he is being forced upon us. But I don't hate him. I want to enjoy the show more than the footage is letting me.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I've seen Towie etc and I've been watching I'm A Celeb. Joey seems to be hated on here, but I'm just curious as to why? He seems like a nice enough guy to me and pretty harmless. Hasn't been nasty or horrible to anyone. Seems like a happy, fun, harmless, young guy who is enjoying himself.
    It's the fact it's a contrived act and the persona you and others are buying into isn't his real one. If he was actually like that, the dislike/ disdain (I think hate's a bit strong!) would be far less.

I hope I have been of some assistance!
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,117
    Forum Member
    It's a bit confusing because Vincent gets complimented for playing up his cocky lothario-type character. Yet Joey is disliked for playing up his character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a bit confusing because Vincent gets complimented for playing up his cocky lothario-type character. Yet Joey is disliked for playing up his character.

The difference is that with Vincent people know. Weirdly it actually appears that supposedly intelligent people still seem to be fooled with/ buy into the Joey act and think it's genuine.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AOTB wrote: »
    It's the fact it's a contrived act and the persona you and others are buying into isn't his real one. If he was actually like that, the dislike/ disdain (I think hate's a bit strong!) would be far less.

I hope I have been of some assistance!

The lack of intelligence, shall we say, may well be an act but he seems nice and harmless enough despite that. He's not bitchy, malicious, selfish.... he could be a lot worse.

Not trying to change anyone's opinion, just explaining why I don't think he's as bad as people make out :)
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EchoFalls wrote: »

This^^^^.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The lack of intelligence, shall we say, may well be an act but he seems nice and harmless enough despite that. He's not bitchy, malicious, selfish.... he could be a lot worse.

Not trying to change anyone's opinion, just explaining why I don't think he's as bad as people make out :)
    I take your point and I'm sure he may well be ok underneath it all. The problem is that we really just don't know.

If the mask slips (even more than it has on occasion already), we actually see the real him and does turn out to be nice and harmless, not bitchy or any of the other things you mention, then we will be in agreement.

Until then it's impossible to make a genuine judgement.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find him really endearing and whilst I acknowledge that many will be bored of the focus on him, that's really not his fault. As you say, he seems harmless.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take your point and I'm sure he may well be ok underneath it all. The problem is that we really just don't know.

If the mask slips (even more than it has on occasion already), we actually see the real him and does turn out to be nice and harmless, not bitchy or any of the other things you mention, then we will be in agreement.

Until then it's impossible to make a genuine judgement.

I'm just going on what I've seen in the jungle and from several series of TOWIE. As you say, everything I've seen could be an act, but by the same token... there's an equal chance that its not. I'll take the positive :)
  • Options
    registermepleasregistermepleas Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    I don't hate him either. I dislike the way being stupid is seen as something to advance his career and I strongly dislike the way he is being forced upon us. But I don't hate him. I want to enjoy the show more than the footage is letting me.

Exactly this!
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had he been an ax murderer, he would have been loved in any task he did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm just going on what I've seen in the jungle and from several series of TOWIE. As you say, everything I've seen could be an act, but by the same token... there's an equal chance that its not. I'll take the positive :)
    Fair enough. You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone else of course. :)

Personally I don't think 'it's taking the negative' to be distrustful of a contrived act, especially when it's on tv, and I also don't think there is an 'equal chance' of him being sincere.

This of course, is just my opinion.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    fisch wrote: »
    Cos we are fed up of only seeing him thats why
    I don't hate him at all. He seems harmless enough ... it's just boredom. Bored of seeing him do all the trials. That's not his fault, but it doesn't stop it being boring.
    Nobody hates Joey - in fact he's probably a really nice (if slightly boring) chap. Its the way the show is forcing him and him alone down our throats.
    EchoFalls wrote: »
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    I find him really endearing and whilst I acknowledge that many will be bored of the focus on him, that's really not his fault. As you say, he seems harmless.

Thank you all for saving me having to type all of that! :D

I don't hate Joey at all, but (through no fault of his own) it is boring having most of the focus on him. I want to see a bit less of Joey and a bit more of all the others.
  • Options
    Rosie50Rosie50 Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he is a really lovely lad but he is not that stupid that he didn't know what submerged meant when he can clearly swim anyone who knows the basics of swimming knows the meaning of it,Also my 6 year old Grandaughter knows how to wash her face and blow her nose in my op he his another Brian Belo trying to fool some of you to gain your votes and win. please give the others a chance to do the trails :)
  • Options
    peterstonepeterstone Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    I don't hate Joey Essex
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here here :)
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Watching tonight I didn't feel like there was an inordinate amount of focus on Joey beyond the trial, and, well, it's the public that keep voting him to do the bloody things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Fair enough. You're as entitled to your opinion as anyone else of course. :)

Personally I don't think 'it's taking the negative' to be distrustful of a contrived act, especially when it's on tv, and I also don't think there is an 'equal chance' of him being sincere.

This of course, is just my opinion.

And your opinion is awesome :cool: :o Wish I could put my thoughts into your words. I just see him as very slippery and in sheeps clothing. Sure, he hasn't shown himself to be a wolf just yet, but why pretend to be a sheep otherwise.
  • Options
    Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'What's Clash mean, what's Submerge mean, What's a Punchline...'

He's an adult pretending to be a child.