Options

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    From a friend who did an advert with George Cole.

He was quiet, but very professional. Didn't really talk much unless you approached him. Gave polite one-line answers to questions, but didn't really instigate any conversation. He seemed happier when talking about the people he had worked with in his older career (50s) than Arthur Daley etc. But a very easy bloke to work with due to his professionalism.

Only ads I can think of for George Cole were the old Leeds Building Society ones.

They were a good 30 years ago!:o
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a) not suprised, fan of all three for various things and b) rather jealous. ;-)

Yes, I've waited years to meet them , then they all turn up at once!. :cool:
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Only ads I can think of for George Cole were the old Leeds Building Society ones.

They were a good 30 years ago!:o

Yes, I remember them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHzCE-Q7bQ
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Les Dawson is a comedy hero of mine, so thanks for sharing that. Am not surprised to hear that he was a nice man as apart from being funny, he always seemed like one of the good guys. Nice to read positive comments about Bob Monkhouse too. His later stand up was excellent and although previously only really knew him from quiz shows, his autobiography completely changed my perception of him. Very self deprecating, funny and sometimes touching read.

It's nice when people you admire turn out to be estimable people in 'real' life. :)

Eric Morecambe was the same. I ran into him not long before he died in London and he was delightful and immediately did a routine for us. He must have done the same thing many, many times before. But he made it fresh, as though he'd just made it up for us there and then. Lovely man.

I also worked with John Thaw many years later. He had a reputation of being somewhat difficult, so it was a real surprise to find he was an absolute gentleman and very courteous to everyone who worked on the production.

Others I've met and worked with...

Roger Moore is an absolute legend. Probably the nicest guy in the business. He never seems to forget how fortunate he is and what a brilliant life he's had.
    Michael Winner: he might have had a fearsome persona but that was his act. In private, he was an absolute pussycat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart is a lovely fella, spent a while talking to fans and signing autographs.
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if he's classed as a celeb but I met Elliot Wright from TOWIE in a club in Glasgow, was very friendly and nice.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart is a lovely fella, spent a while talking to fans and signing autographs.

There's a vid of a women approaching Brock Lesnar & his wife Sable. She asked for a picture but he politely decline saying "no, not today"

Well at least he wasn't too big if an asshole
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    From a friend who did an advert with George Cole.

He was quiet, but very professional. Didn't really talk much unless you approached him. Gave polite one-line answers to questions, but didn't really instigate any conversation. He seemed happier when talking about the people he had worked with in his older career (50s) than Arthur Daley etc. But a very easy bloke to work with due to his professionalism.

I'd have asked him about Alastair Sim and working with him
    In Scrooge and the St. Trinians films. Love George Cole!
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote: »
    Someone I know is very good friends with someone in children's tv and it's with his peers he's like this apparently, especially at awards shows. Apparently seems to think he's better than everyone else. No idea if this is just perception though

I would actually be surprised if someone who has become a one man empire on Kids TV (no one who has a young child can fail to be aware of who Justin Fletcher is or at least who one of his many incarnations is) didn't have a bit of an ego. He must have enormous self confidence and a lot of energy at least. I'm also not surprised that he always treats kids well I think he must be pretty shrewd and know that he's got where he is by being able to respond to children well - I don't wish him ill will he's obviously knows what kids want and is happy to give it to them and is someone who is making the most of his talents.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valerian wrote: »
    My sister worked with Bradley Walsh at STV doing Wheel of Fortune,
    top bloke. I think he has a great sense of humour, he cracks me up :D

I know an actor who worked with Bradley Walsh, and had nothing but nice things to say about him.

He also said Rod Stewart was a good bloke when they shared a table at an event, whereas Jim Davidson, who was on another table, was obnoxious
  • Options
    axlgodaxlgod Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anneliese wrote: »
    Met Janick Gers (guitarist from Iron Maiden) this weekend doing his shopping in local shopping centre, was a gentlemen and happy to stop for a handshake :)

I've heard he is a top bloke.
    My brother- in-law frequently goes to a certain pub in Yarm & he's seen Janick in there a few times, being a massive maiden fan he was gobsmacked when he first saw him, but he said Janick was brilliant, got a photo with him & chatted for a while.
  • Options
    qwerty_1234qwerty_1234 Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine are all pretty Z list and from when I was at university so don't go expecting miracles but;

Diva Fever (X Factor 3 years ago (ish) - met them at a club in Leicester, the taller guy was really nice and pretty drunk but the short one was shooting dirty looks everywhere and couldn't wait to get away. This was in the wake of them leaving X Factor, must have been a matter of weeks after, but you'd have thought he would embrace his thirty seconds of fame.

Jamie Afro - again, early casuality of live finals X Factor. He was nice enough.

Chloe Sims (TOWIE) - met her again, in a club recently with her boyfriend who I hear is on TOWIE at the moment. Both were lovely, but Chloe was genuinely hilarious. Was properly friendly and getting into the swing of things laughing and joking.

Booty Luv - performing at a bar I used to work at. They were fun and chatty.

Nick Grimshaw - met him at a service station outside of London. He was really nice, stopped for a chat and a photo and told us he was going to visit his mate "in the country". Genuinely nice.

Sophie Ellis-Bextor - Saw her outside of a TV studio in Surrey, she was so friendly. This was years and years ago, but genuinely, she was so so nice.

Rachel Shenton (played Mitzeee in Hollyoaks) - I always thought she seemed really nice, I saw her in a Morrisons just outside of Stoke and she was reading the celeb mags. I saw someone stop and talk to her and she shot them a dirty look and couldn't even muster a smile at me as I walked past.

Deana (ex Big Brother, series 13?!) - came into a shop I worked in. Was a bit withdrawn, a lot shorter than I imagined but was pleasant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I was so lucky to have met my fave idol actor Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones), Downton Abbey a couple of weeks ago at a Cricket charity event.

He is seriously gorgeous, sweet, kind and very friendly. Gave a lot of his time to me. He even wrote back to me when I gave him a letter and told him I run a website on him and he wanted to see it. He wrote me a lovely 2 page letter saying amongst other things how impressed he was with the website. :)

http://www.visions-of-you.com/iainglenfans/images/igst.jpg

http://iainglenfans.org/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Have met Fern Britton and husband Phil Vickery a few times. Both very friendly and down to earth, especially Phil.
    Colin Baker (ex- Doctor Who) is a lovely friendly chap and his wife is. Happy to give the time of day.
    My OH bumped into Joe Calzaghe and asked for his autograph - he was happy to oblige, even though he was on holiday. He also met Christopher Lee (one of his life-long heroes) a few years ago. He said he has a presence that has you quaking in your boots - but he was happy to sign a book for him.
  • Options
    *Cadhla**Cadhla* Posts: 1,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hopwoodl wrote: »
    Someone told me last week that Justin Fletcher, aka Mr Tumble is a terrible diva (this will only mean something to parents with toddlers-sorry)

He is a workaholic and kind of temperamental I think. My sister worked on Timmy a loong time ago and I remember she said that Justin was obsessed with his work being perfect and worked a lot of hours....he was often short with people but was a great guy....second to none with kids.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    count_drac wrote: »
    Have met Fern Britton and husband Phil Vickery a few times. Both very friendly and down to earth, especially Phil.
    Colin Baker (ex- Doctor Who) is a lovely friendly chap and his wife is. Happy to give the time of day.
    My OH bumped into Joe Calzaghe and asked for his autograph - he was happy to oblige, even though he was on holiday. He also met Christopher Lee (one of his life-long heroes) a few years ago. He said he has a presence that has you quaking in your boots - but he was happy to sign a book for him.

Baker always strikes me as a lovely man ever since he was very amusing on the program that aired on the last DW anniversary (not this one but the one before although there is a skit still available on You Tube called 'The Fiveish Doctors' which features Baker, Davidson and McCoy happily sending themselves up which was tied to this one) and all accounts of him on the Doctor Who Live Journal forum have confirmed this - in fact pretty well most of the DW/Torchwood casts have been great with fans.

Christopher Lee always comes across as a great bloke too and incredibly erudite.
  • Options
    ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw Colin Baker in a coffee shop in Cornwall some years ago. He was quiet, gentlemanly, extremely polite to the staff and quite charming.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sister comes into regular contact with David Bradley and she's always been full of praise for him. He's very polite and quietly spoken and always has time for anybody who approaches him to give an autograph or have a quick chat.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lilsaz wrote: »
    I was so lucky to have met my fave idol actor Iain Glen (Ser Jorah Mormont from Game of Thrones), Downton Abbey a couple of weeks ago at a Cricket charity event.

He is seriously gorgeous, sweet, kind and very friendly. Gave a lot of his time to me. He even wrote back to me when I gave him a letter and told him I run a website on him and he wanted to see it. He wrote me a lovely 2 page letter saying amongst other things how impressed he was with the website. :)

http://www.visions-of-you.com/iainglenfans/images/igst.jpg

http://iainglenfans.org/
    Fantastic stuff, he is great in Game Of Thrones. Good to know he is appreciative of his fans and takes the time to chat and have photos. Nice website too btw.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    Baker always strikes me as a lovely man ever since he was very amusing on the program that aired on the last DW anniversary (not this one but the one before although there is a skit still available on You Tube called 'The Fiveish Doctors' which features Baker, Davidson and McCoy happily sending themselves up which was tied to this one) and all accounts of him on the Doctor Who Live Journal forum have confirmed this - in fact pretty well most of the DW/Torchwood casts have been great with fans.

Colin Baker was lumbered with problematic scripts and production decisions with which he was not comfortable. He was also caught in internal BBC politicking that he did not start and really wanted nothing to do with. Then they unceremoniously dumped him.

It's quite amazing, really, that he wants anything to do with Dr Who at all, when you consider how poorly he was treated. And yet, he consistently proclaims that he loved his stint on the show, throws himself into conventions with gusto, and generally acts as an unpaid Who ambassador-at-large. I think that says everything that needs to be said about what sort of person he is.
  • Options
    CeeCee87CeeCee87 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Lawernce Llwellyn Bowen-snobby prat who stood outside his car door for about 10 mins until his driver came and opened it for him. Wouldn't acknowledge me when I served him, no manners-his driver was lovely though.

Cannon and Ball-lovely guys
  • Options
    annelieseanneliese Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    axlgod wrote: »
    I've heard he is a top bloke.
    My brother- in-law frequently goes to a certain pub in Yarm & he's seen Janick in there a few times, being a massive maiden fan he was gobsmacked when he first saw him, but he said Janick was brilliant, got a photo with him & chatted for a while.

I've heard you can find him in Yarm pubs too! I felt like I was the only person in the north east who hadn't met him somewhere. Apparently playing Iron Maiden in a pub makes him walk out as if people are taking the mick out of him, but I don't imagine this could be true!
  • Options
    Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CeeCee87 wrote: »

Cannon and Ball-lovely guys

A lot of experience of Cannon and Ball, and the latter was an odious **** on all occasions.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of experience of Cannon and Ball, and the latter was an odious **** on all occasions.

Was this before or after he became a 'Born Again Christian'?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    Colin Baker was lumbered with problematic scripts and production decisions with which he was not comfortable. He was also caught in internal BBC politicking that he did not start and really wanted nothing to do with. Then they unceremoniously dumped him.

It's quite amazing, really, that he wants anything to do with Dr Who at all, when you consider how poorly he was treated. And yet, he consistently proclaims that he loved his stint on the show, throws himself into conventions with gusto, and generally acts as an unpaid Who ambassador-at-large. I think that says everything that needs to be said about what sort of person he is.

That's a nice little tribute to a seemingly decent bloke! :)