Options

British Gas

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just wondered if anyone else has a problem with British Gas and prepayment meters?

Basically, I have been living here for a year and when I got here there was a prepayment meter and I have never bothered to get it changed over. All year I have been waiting for a bill or some kind of statement, but nothing was forthcoming.

Until yesterday, when I got an 'annual statement'. This comprised of 'you have used x kilowatts of gas this year. Thank you and goodbye'. Well I paraphrase, but what was missing was 'you have used x amount of gas, it cost this much, you have paid this much' which would have been helpful, wouldn't it?

I rang them to be told they do not provide any other sort of statement for prepayment meter users. And was told it was like a pre-pay mobile phone. Well with all due respect it is not! And should I want to I can view my calls, duration and cost online. I told the very unhelpful young girl that British Gas could be ripping me off and how would I know that they were not. Her reply was 'hmmm'. I don't know if that is an admission or not. Last year I put £730 in the gas meter, how do I know if I got £730 worth of gas for that?

As she was so unhelpful, and as British Gas seem to think I am a complete moron, I have now moved my account to Scottish Power, who at the moment provide my electricity. The prepayment meter will come out as soon as they take over, although I understand they do provide a quarterly statement which shows you how much you have paid, used etc.

Am I right to be concerned by this? Is this happening with other companies too?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bitchy_me wrote: »
    I just wondered if anyone else has a problem with British Gas and prepayment meters?

Basically, I have been living here for a year and when I got here there was a prepayment meter and I have never bothered to get it changed over. All year I have been waiting for a bill or some kind of statement, but nothing was forthcoming.

Until yesterday, when I got an 'annual statement'. This comprised of 'you have used x kilowatts of gas this year. Thank you and goodbye'. Well I paraphrase, but what was missing was 'you have used x amount of gas, it cost this much, you have paid this much' which would have been helpful, wouldn't it?

I rang them to be told they do not provide any other sort of statement for prepayment meter users. And was told it was like a pre-pay mobile phone. Well with all due respect it is not! And should I want to I can view my calls, duration and cost online. I told the very unhelpful young girl that British Gas could be ripping me off and how would I know that they were not. Her reply was 'hmmm'. I don't know if that is an admission or not. Last year I put £730 in the gas meter, how do I know if I got £730 worth of gas for that?

As she was so unhelpful, and as British Gas seem to think I am a complete moron, I have now moved my account to Scottish Power, who at the moment provide my electricity. The prepayment meter will come out as soon as they take over, although I understand they do provide a quarterly statement which shows you how much you have paid, used etc.

Am I right to be concerned by this? Is this happening with other companies too?

I think you're absolutely right, they should provide some kind of statement, or at least a summary of your cost and usage.

I think prepayment meters do work out to be more expensive than a normal quarterly meter. They are designed for people who are on a budget. They can also be programmed to collect debt if you owe the gas/electricity company money.