Options

Arsenal Supporters Thread (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    didn't see anything but the goals so can't comment, other than to say Eboue's tights were a high point
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ipswich in the Semi Bring it on
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    COTTONHEAT wrote: »
    Ipswich in the Semi Bring it on

Away 1st leg. No excuses if we screw this up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    what kind of football do Ipswich play? Never sure with Keano as manager.
    Lots of tickets for the Fulham game on exchange. I admit to being tempted but think I won't. £33 is still £33. It would be useful though to have a stadium map on the exchange page.
    Do you think it's the weather or the last few home results that have put so many people off?
    Plus Fulham not doing as well under Hughes as they did under the much beleagured (by Liverpool's deluded fans*) Hodgson.

*acc to them as far as I can see, they'd be in the top 4 if he wasn't their manager
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    The weather must have played a part in the Wigan game. Supposed to be milder on Saturday so can't see any problem with the game being played.

We won't have a better chance of winning some silverware than the CC. Though nothing should be taken for granted and think all we have to do is turn up. Looking ahead if we get to the final then either of those other two will give us a hard game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »
    The weather must have played a part in the Wigan game. Supposed to be milder on Saturday so can't see any problem with the game being played.

I can see a big problem as the forecast I have for Saturday shows 2 degrees. My mum lives around 3 miles from the ground and she says it's pretty bad around there. I suspect the pitch and stands will be ok but it'll be the surrounding areas that might scupper the game......I won't be there anyway as we're still waiting for baby to pop out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone heard the strong rumours that barndoor maybe heading for our nearest and dearest down the road?? This would be the funniest deal ever if it goes through as I can't wait to hear the backtracking from their fans who've sung elephant washer at him since he arrived here.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    It's still supposed to be very cold on Saturday.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Tel69 wrote: »
    I can see a big problem as the forecast I have for Saturday shows 2 degrees. My mum lives around 3 miles from the ground and she says it's pretty bad around there. I suspect the pitch and stands will be ok but it'll be the surrounding areas that might scupper the game......I won't be there anyway as we're still waiting for baby to pop out.

Fair enough but no more snow is forecast for the weekend in the London area. The pitch and inside should be fine. Like you say it's the outside bit where elf and safety sticking their beaks in could scupper it. The outside can be cleared though. I would be very surprised and disappointed if the match is called off.

Good luck with baby by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Has the draw for the semis been made yet?
  • Options
    naveennaveen Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Playing Ipswich away first leg

First legs to be played the week beginning January 10
    Second legs to be played the week beginning January 24
  • Options
    WouterWouter Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »

Ipswich, starting with the away tie. I think it would be shameful if we were to somehow not win the trophy.
  • Options
    Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you guys who want a new manager feel about us likely winning the Carling Cup? The domestic cups are our best chance of winning something by far this season - it will be a huge surprsise if we don't fall away again in the Prem and we are nowhere good enough to take on Europe's big boys in the CL

We should win the Carling Cup with some ease, with AW putting out full strength teams the rest of the way, however, for those of you who want him out, it will probably buy him as much time as he wants to remain as mananger
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    How do you guys who want a new manager feel about us likely winning the Carling Cup? The domestic cups are our best chance of winning something by far this season - it will be a huge surprsise if we don't fall away again in the Prem and we are nowhere good enough to take on Europe's big boys in the CL

We should win the Carling Cup with some ease, with AW putting out full strength teams the rest of the way, however, for those of you who want him out, it will probably buy him as much time as he wants to remain as mananger

We should. As we should have won the West Brom, Tottenham and Newcastle matches.

And it's because of all the aforementioned that I, for one, am just going to wait, hope and pray we don't let complacency set in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wouter wrote: »
    Ipswich, starting with the away tie. I think it would be shameful if we were to somehow not win the trophy.

We have an amazing chance to win it, with Man U and Chelski being out IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dear Leader has clearly woken up to the fact that we can't win anything else otherwise he wouln't be picking the squads he is for the CC. It is also a clear attempt to placate any rumblings from the masses but whilst he continues to make ludicrous comments such as his " I won't buy in January" then he won't be fooling all of us.

Yes it will buy him time and some will see it as justification of his methods etc but I doubt many will buy the inevitable collapse that will occur around March even if we do have a trophy.

Ultimately I'll take a any trophy right now, I just don't like the manager unless he changes his whole ethos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would be a terrific boost for the team to win the CC as it's at least a trophy and you need to know what it feels like to win. So much at this level of the difference between 2 good sides is mental strength and confidence and hopefully it would give us that.
    I don't really want AW out, I want him to change the way he does certain things and his attitude to buying players and strengthening the squad in key positions. Maybe I'm delusional but I still believe it's possible, say if Dein speaks to him, Bould etc etc.
    Today is ok in London as it's snowing lightly but if it freezes hard with no fresh snow, transport etc is going to grind to a halt because of ice. It could be very hard to get to and from N5 on saturday.

I know I said I'm not wasting my money on more tickets after the Newcastle and Sp*rs fiascos but I love Arsenal so much that it's always tempting when I see tickets available. Don't think I'm going though.
    Tel, the baby must be waiting for better weather? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a result of an unbelievably stupid substitution on Tuesday night Nasri now has a slight knock for the weekend. Why was he even risked when the game was already safe???:mad::rolleyes:

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/nasri-expected-to-shake-off-knee-injury
  • Options
    CarlosVelaCarlosVela Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one won't be satisfied with winning the Carling Cup alone this season, i don't believe the prestige of the trophy is big enough.

"Yay we won a trophy!"
    "Yeah but it's the Mickey Mouse cup, no-one takes it seriously"

^ That's what we should expect should we win the thing. And yes, it does give Wenger more time at the club to do his stupid new philosophy, because it's been so long without silverware that the board won't give a damn about what we win for as long as we do.

I'd be more interested in winning the other 3 competitions, would shut a few people up if we won the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiron wrote: »
    And it's because of all the aforementioned that I, for one, am just going to wait, hope and pray we don't let complacency set in.

It's alright for the fans to get complacent - we can say what we like without it affecting the result :)

We're 1/2 with the bookies to lift the trophy, which may even be a touch generous. Absolutely no way can we lose to ipswich over 2 games, then a final against west ham or birmingham should be pretty much a one-sided affair in all reality
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    then a final against west ham or birmingham should be pretty much a one-sided affair in all reality

As someone who recalls cup final defeats against West Ham,Luton & Ipswich I will not be counting any chickens yet. They are also comments that other teams fans will seize it this goes tits up. I'm quietly confident, no more, no less.
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    Goodwin wrote: »
    Though nothing should be taken for granted and think all we have to do is turn up. Looking ahead if we get to the final then either of those other two will give us a hard game.

I agree. This is Arsenal we're talking about after all - the team who can snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tel69 wrote: »
    As someone who recalls cup final defeats against West Ham,Luton & Ipswich I will not be counting any chickens yet. They are also comments that other teams fans will seize it this goes tits up. I'm quietly confident, no more, no less.
    I don't care what other fans seize on really - if we lose, we lose and it doesn't matter whether some anonymous tw*t on an internet forum gloats or not. But at this moment in time most fans would agree we are overwhelming favourites and as such, should win it comfortably

I don't think there's anything wrong in saying you expect to win something if you genuinly do - I certainly don't believe in stuff like bad luck and jinxes
  • Options
    TironTiron Posts: 8,080
    Forum Member
    Ok, so what has Russia winning the 2018 bid got to do with Arshavin? I'm hearing on Talksport that he should be booed etc? I hope I heard incorrectly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was part of their bid team. If morons boo him, that is just utterly childish but I can see it happening.
This discussion has been closed.